1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete VINCET by nos tres reges - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Skeletaure, Apr 18, 2009.

1. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

On the contrary I think it's exactly what an 11 year old would do. If you know your father is a big important man then you use that to try to impress others, whether by threatening them or indirectly by intimidating them. I have to admit my dad is in a significantly and obviously important position that when I was a kid I used his authority to try to impress other kids. I will also that it worked, when your dad is someone else's father's boss or has that boss' ear it is surprisingly effective.

2. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

I like this one a fair bit. The train ride was different, and even the Harry/Hermione angle is actually bearable, much better than most crap out there.

The only thing that seems out of place so far is the different sorting of the Patil twins, but I'm hoping that is actually a part of the plot.

And Harry seems a bit too mature but I think I can let it pass here.

So a 4/5 for now and fingers crossed for continued quality.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Weeeeell ...

I guess I wasn't in the mood, then. I read the first chapter, disliked it immensely and stopped reading -- it rubbed me all the wrong way. Just two things: Dudley killing his owl made me want to bash heads in (it didn't help that it reminded me of the retarded Azkaban!Fics where they kill his owl and burn his photo-album), and Harry preferring Hermione, of all people, over Daphne, made me want to kick his arse and strangle the author.

Also, I hate Latin and CAPSLOCK >_>

In short, not a good read for me. Based on that, a 1.5 or something, but I'm not rating it.

Perhaps I'll try again when I'm bored.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  4. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Quite good, but I disagree about Harry being "Balanced" in this story. Its, what, his first month in the WW and he's learned the summoning charm? In canon he learned it in fourth year and it took a while to master. Here he learned it along with 50 others in one day as a first year.

Its a story to keep an eye on but it has these few glaring faults that stop it being great. 3/5.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be fair, we've never seen a reason in canon why magic should be so hard. All it seems to be is words and wand waving.

Maybe Harry feels the same way as us.

6. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Agreed.

This is one of the biggest issues I have with the Harry Potter world. We know that there's such a thing as magical theory, since the students seem to spend much of their time reading textbooks and writing essays on the subject, but there's a massive disconnect between the theory that the students learn and actually performing the spells themselves.

It makes me wonder what these kids are going to school for when it seems they could just as easily pick up a list of spell incantations and wand movements and just go at it.

7. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I like this so far. It's pretty well written with a Harry and a plot that vary just enough from canon to stay interesting through the first 5 chapters, at least. Harry is very advanced, but is just on the right side of believably capable--hopefully the believable quality doesnt erode. I'm gonna wait for more to rate, but the first five chaps were pretty well done.

8. merchantofam

merchantofam Fifth Year DLP Supporter

Though the writing style is well though out there is very little to be commenting about. Of what is written Harry seems to be a coward, Dumbledore comes of an over eager grandfather who wants to give a chance to get along. Finally the plot is too slow, I wouldn't normally mind a slow build up if there is actually something waiting at the end, but here it does not seem like we are expecting something. 3/5 at best due to good grammar but 2/5 other wise.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How is Harry a coward? He just won a duel in front of the entire school.

10. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

And slow build up? It could be much, much slower. And how can you really expect something from a fanfiction that currently takes place in the first year?

11. Kinser

Kinser Fourth Year

I read the first chapter and about half of the second. Although there are no spelling or grammar mistakes, I simply do not see a hook here. The story might have the potential to become good. But I've not seen anything in here to keep me reading.

I give it 2/5 due to its obvious mediocrity.

12. fanficlover

fanficlover Fourth Year

To somebody who is a full two years older to you?

If you are at the same age level, I'd agree, but not to somebody who is two or three years older than you.

13. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I am curious as to the exact limits of a Metamorph's powers in canon, can they heal cuts and bruises, mend bones, regrow organs, are they Immune to aging effects?
    Could a Metamorph change their skin to gain a Giant's magical resistance, or possible a Dragon's? Could they instantly recover for spells such as Body binds, laughing spells, dancing spells or even a Pain curse?

Can they grow wings, or change form entirely? Is it just human to human transformation?

If I were a Wizard I would probably trade In all my magic to become a Metamorph :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  14. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Yes.

Which is why Tonks survives.

15. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Obviously not immortal considering Tonks is dead...

Edit: Damn, too slow.

16. Skykes

Did she die from old age?

I was obviously on about cell degeneration, regrowing perfect matches, or simply changing the old ones into better copies.

But yea, post edited for you tools who could not understand what I mean.

17. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I'm not the greatest expert on all things Harry Potter, but if I remember correctly Tonks didn't ever do much besides change her nose and hair color. I can't even recall any instances where she went entirely undercover (as in took on someone else's appearance or completely changed her own), but like I said, I could very well be wrong.

18. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Hah. Sorry, but you kind of walked right into that one. And no, Bellatrix killed her.

Changing bones and muscles and the like seems possible from the scenes we see Tonks reconstruct her noise and face, but other possibilities seem unlikely to me. For all of her change, we never see her actually construct anything as opposed to just reconstructing what was already there.

So Dragon/Giant skin and growing wings seems improbable to me since she can't just add attributes to her body without them having already been there.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  19. Skykes

I would imagine that a metamorphs ability s depends on how good of control they have, Tonks has to scrunch up her nose, and concentrate hard.

All we are shown is Tonks changing stuff around, moving molecules or whatever(really need one of DLPs science guys here), not actually changing them. But maybe with enough practice and control it is possible, Tonks does not strike me as the type to sit down for 2 hours per day and practice, but then again she is a Auror.

20. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

You don't need to go into too much detail with the changing molecules thing - I think it's pretty obvious that she's simply doing self-transfiguration, similar to what an animagus does but fundamentally different in effect, obviously.

One little peeve I have when it comes to fanon metamorphmagi is that in canon it seems that Tonk's changes occur instantly. I almost want to say there's a sound effect involved, but I'm not sure.

In other words, things like moving a scar around don't seem realistic since a metamorphmagus' changes occur instantly, just like a transfiguration spell seems to occur instantly.

Again, I could be way off base here, but there it is.