1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete VINCET by nos tres reges - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Skeletaure, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

I find it odd how canon Harry was, I guess a much 'happier' person. More friendly I guess, but only really had a small batch of friends.

Whereas this Harry has 1 friend; Hermione, maybe you could call Cedric #2. But he has a much much larger network of acquaintances. Who he is always seeming to add to. I.e. FemBlaise and Kevin in this latest chapter.

We know he doesn't see them as friends (I think he even referred to Ron as an acquaintance, definitively not as a friend).

I have to wonder why the author is going around adding all these characters into 'active rotation' of interacting with Harry, when in canon you could count the people he was involved with on practically 1 hand.

Dumbledore in this chapter said something along the lines of "I'm confident in the defences around the stone, and always improving them." I wonder if this is just posturing on his behalf to appease Harry, and continue to have his canon 1st year defences, or whether we'll actually (if at all) see Harry run a real gauntlet later on.

2. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

I don't entirely agree with that. We'll see how it develops, and you may be right, but he doesn't seem to be on top of his game at all: he slips, looks shocked, lets Harry dominate the conversation. If it is all part of a plan, it would make for a good twist on the manipulative Dumbledore, but even if his motivations are the same, his characterisation is very different from canon (Dumbledore grinning every five minutes is a bit weird, imo).

I do enjoy the interaction between Harry and Dumbledore though, and Harry being more articulate and thoughtful than 90% of adults would be in his situation has something to do with that. The impotence thing with FemBlaise also seemed very mature for his age. He should probably have kept it for third year, but then the story would have been boring.

3. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Been mentioned many times by people before me... but Harry the genius just rubs me the wrong way.

I mean yeah okay he's smart, and yeah he has a fundamental connection to magic and is brilliant yada yada... but isn't anyone else annoyed about how great things are for Harry so far?

He hits Hogwarts and BAM everything's great. He can talk circles around everyone, including the Headmaster, can pull off advance magic, and is on the verge of cracking the trace.. all within what.. 6 months of school?
    Something needs to happen soon to liven the story up a bit, you know maybe something genius Harry can't work his way out of.

Despite the annoying lead character, this is probably one of the better active stories on FFN atm.

3.5 rounded to 4/5.

4. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I find the opposite more annoying actually, when authors try too hard to create conflict.

Really nice touch with the radio in the last chapter.

Dumbledore revising his plans is always appreciated. The discussion took place after he tried to make Harry look in the Mirror, which means that he's going to come up with something new soon, if I'm correct.

On the whole, my high hopes for this fic are still present.

5. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

And look how that worked out for Canon Harry. A punching bag without any support from the rest of the school whenever things turned against him. This one has one less friend (Ron) and about a million more people who like him. For a non-dumbass (Not Canon Harry) it's a far better setup. Plus he doesn't seem to make close personal connections easily, which is more realistic with a Dursley-style upbringing anyway.

6. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Meet Harry Stu, Garry Stu's younger brother, if this was taking place after Hogwarts then I could believe Harry being that far ahead of the curve, but it's not, he is eleven years old, do you remember when you were eleven? Ya it's not gonna happen.

Apart from that the story was kinda interesting, I liked Katie Bell's character, and I liked how Hermione latched onto Harry as her only friend when the problem arose, twas realistic.

I got the feeling that the Author was going for a silent battle of personality with Harry, where Harry almost disappears forever into books and power and forgets to live and gain real life experience only to be pulled back at the last moment by somebody.

But I just couldn't take it anymore when Harry Stu started to talk circles around Dumbledore.

Last, but not least, it got kinda boring after awhile, all it was is Harry Stu being badass at everything he does.

Over all I give this a 2/5, it got an extra star for Katie's character.

7. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I really enjoyed the story. I found the characterizations quite well written, although as many others said, Harry is way too mature for someone his age.

I liked that Tonks would use her powers more liberally, attracting guys by increasing her chest and what not. She's only about seventeen. I'm twenty and I still worry about appearances. Hell, if I was a metamorph I'd have a fifteen inch cock and the manly ruggedness found in the Marlboro Man. We're all shallow in our teens and early twenties and with her power it only seem natural that she would use it like she do.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is whether or not Dumbledore's a perv. Spying on small children is hardly the job of a 150 year old Headmaster after all...

Also, as the thread is getting quite long, perhaps we invite the authors of the story and hear about their future plans for the story?

8. Portus

Portus Heir

If you're serious about wanting to look like that, I can send you some of my hair and you can Polyjuice yourself. :awesome Believe me, it ain't all sunshine and roses to look that way... :rolleyes:

9. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Why would you ever want a 15 inch dick? You would pass out everytime you tried fucking someone, or she'd do that pelvic twirl move and snap your dick. Have fun.

Canon dictates that he's a huge perve. How many old gay principals have you ever seen irl, much less one that could conceivably go anywhere he wants, unseen and undetected?

10. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

I had a young gay prinipal (well, middle aged, more like). He liked me, I think. He would stop to chat in the study room when I was in highschool ><.

Still, its not like being gay and an educator means you're a perv... I'd love to see Dumbledore cracking sick jokes though.

11. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...

... you think?!

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

If a headmistress talked to a male pupil in a study room we wouldn't think she had a thing for him.

So why would we assume so if it's a gay headmaster?

Being gay doesn't make you any easier or more paedophilic than anyone else, guys.

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Just because he's not openly gay doesn't mean he's not a perve. You can refrain from acting on certain tendencies, obviously, but they're still there 1 and it's still pervy. Lookit the facts:
    - adamant about staying at Hogwarts, despite it being a waste of talent.
    - The going around unseen/underected. Plus ownership of the unltimate invisibilty cloak for a large swatch of time.
    - Always offering sweets.
    - Grindelwald was, by description, a golden-haired prettyboy.
    - as was Lockhart, who was hired despite his qualifications. (Yeah, he's an adult. But when you're 100+, they're ALL too young...)
    -Family history of being into freaky shit (see Aberdorth the goat-buggerer).

So yeah. Restrained pervert is still a pervert.

14. Portus

Portus Heir

Freudian slip much, JB? Methinks the first quoted sentence reveals a bit about the second.

15. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

How did this thread get derailed into talking about Dumbledore's flaming homosexuality and 15" cocks?

16. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

You didn't know? Clearly I love dick. That's the obvious conclusion, not the fact that 'T' is next to 'R'...

On topic (since I kinda derailed it): I'm always uneasy about stories where Harry's too smart/mature, as the author invariably has him rant at Dumbledore. But it is shaping up pretty nicely so far. The Latin chapter titles are...different; dunno what the author(s) are trying to prove. 4/5

17. lanceavalon

lanceavalon Seventh Year

That is what the priesthood is for.:devil:

18. Ame River

Ame River First Year

A decent story, has a number of interesting plot points/moments, but as others have said so far it seems like just another canon rewrite only with Harry acting the way the author(s in this case) thinks they would have in his situation. It seems vanishingly unlikely that they will make it anywhere particularly interesting with the story.

Nonetheless, I'll continue to read because it's fairly entertaining and reasonably well-written in terms of mechanics and style. 3/5

19. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

It has been updated.

I like where the story's going, with Harry's manipulation of all those around him lain bare to the reader.

20. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Harry was pretty stupid, to go running off immediately to get a book from the library using a note that is good for at least a week, revealing to all his dorm mates that he has an invisibility cloak and getting the cloak lost to Malfoy because Dean is an idiot. I wanna see how he gets it back when he has no proof Malfoy has it.