1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Voldemort in fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord Supremo, Jan 26, 2006.

?

Does Voldemort torture his Death Eaters for no real reason?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. "CRUCIO!!" for questioning the Dark Lord's methods

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Supremo

Lord Supremo Second Year

There may be another thread where this comment belongs, but I had to get this off my chest. I HATE it when idiot fanfic writers write Voldemort like black-phoenix-warrior (That's right, I called you out bitch) does in "The Father"

Am I nuts or is that just stupid? Voldemort is most certainly a badass megalomaniac, who will not hesitate to curse an enemy, but somehow I highly doubt that he thinks himself to be God. The idea is that eventually he will become immortal, but after the fight with Dumbledore in OotP, there's no way in hell he thinks he's God.

Also, no one would ever join or stay with the Death Eaters if he's constantly crucio-ing them for no good reason. They are largely a group of proud, aristocratic Slytherins, meaning they're not going to take that lying down. Since he has them stand in a circle around him for their meetings (GoF), it would not be difficult to have the lot of them shoot AKs at the fucker. At least one would make contact, and prophecy or no prophecy, Riddle would be dead.

I think that in the Wizarding World, the prophecies are self-fulfilling. People hear prophecies, they believe them, and their subsequent actions, based on the prophecy, result in that same prophecy coming true. If it were to be put to the test however, the prophecies would not hold up. I think Dan Granger put it best when, in one fic, he asked Dumbledore if he were to shoot Harry in the head, would the bullet just bounce off? The answer, of course, is no.

OK so that was a bit of a sidetrack from my original gripe about an overly narcissistic/punitive Voldemort, so coming back to that, I think such a character is completely unrealistic.

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

If you have read Half-Blood Prince, it pretty much tells you that its self fulfilling. Dumbledore explained it to Harry.

If Snape hadnt heard apart of the prophecy and told the Dark Lord, would Harry have been attacked when he young and become the Boy-Who-Lived? No. Therefore, he hasnt been marked as an equal, ect, ect. It's all because Voldemort learnt of the thing that its coming to pass.

He only attacked them because he believed the prophecy to be a recording of his downfall since he didnt know the whole thing. He probably would have attacked the Potter's sometime but it would not of had the came outcome... he probably wouldnt even go himself, he'd send his followers.

He wouldnt use the Cruciatus for no reason but he will if he's angry. He used it on Avrey in GoF after his re-birth. He wasnt happy that most of them had abandon him at the first signs of his defeat.

He isnt all psycho like most author's make him out to be though, throwing the torture curse at his followers because he's bored.

As for his Death Eater's firing AK's at him. I've wondered why some of them havent done so before... surely some have objected to some of the shit they do. Anyway, it wouldnt be the smartest thing to do in the long run. All it takes is someone like Wormtail to bring him back using one of the Horcruxes and the Death Eater's that betrayed him would be fucked.

3. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    I voted the 3rd choice, because I do think Voldemort believes himself to be always better/smarter/more intelligent than his followers at ALL things, ergo, questioning him=crucio in the ass for follower.

As for Voldemort thinking himself to be a god... maybe the guy's christian rip-off's a bit bad but then if you are someone who believes nothing can/should/will stop you from doing anything, what are you in your own twisted mind if not a god?

The problem you are alluding seems to be most author not thinking dark enough or the likes. Take the same instance of Voldemort 'supposedly' crucio one of his follower seemingly at random irrationally, preferably a big fish like Malfoy. If the author described say that Malfoy done certain certain things for the LV, but got crucioed because LV didn't want anyone of his followers being too powerful/having too high of a standing, then that makes a twisted kind of sense. Most people don't do that so LV seems stupid.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

A) HP Fanfic cliche rant thread v3 : http://darklordpotter.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=877&start=180 The thread is named rant, for a specific reason, it's the only place we want long winded, sense making rants to be at.

B)Even if that thread didn't exist, this would belong in Fanfic discussion.

Not open for further replies.