1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Vox Corporis by MissAnnThropic - M - H/Hr

Discussion in 'Romance' started by yojorocks, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Slytherin93

Slytherin93 Squib

This is normally a fairly well-written H/Hr, with pretty close to canon characters.

However, the most recent chapter features Vernon punching Harry in the face in front of Dumbledore and Hermione's family. Not only does Dumbles not stop Vernon in any way, he stops Hermione's attempt to stop him.

This isn't Independent/Dark Harry or Manipulative/Overly Negligent Dumbledore but yet he goes completely OOC after 150,000 words.

Rubbed me the wrong way I guess...:?

2. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I'd have to disagree with you. It was OOC, yes, but I liked it. This was Harry's problem, and, for once, he let Harry handle it. I liked the story, but, I'm having problems gettin back into the story after the initial read. 3.5/5. Pretty good.

3. NamesAreUnimportant

NamesAreUnimportant Third Year

I've been following this story for a long time, and it is honestly one of the best HHr fics I've read. Granted, I haven't read Backwards Compatible or Eighth yet (off to do that as soon as I finish writing this) but I think this story really captures a realistic relationship that the two might have. It takes a little while to get rolling, what with Harry being in a state of shock/depression, but he eventually opens up in a way I've never seen done.

As for the sex-scene in the beginning, it seemed unnecessary at first, but the more I read the more I realized its purpose. The idea isn't so much that Hermione recognized Harry's need for comfort in the most intimate way (while that is partially the case). It's more the fact that this one night they shared doesn't even come up again until chapter 53, and the fact that the morning after the incident nothing between them has really changed; they're just closer friends. In this way, they develop a deep trust and caring for one another long before they ever 'hook up.'

Overall, I give this 5/5.

4. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Just as a notice: The latest chapter, 62, has a very well written final battle scene, well above and beyond the typical fights that I've read, lacking the badly made up spells while doing a decent job of keeping the reader on their toes. Even if you don't really like the story up to this point, I would at least give this scene a shot. Enjoy the violence and gore.

Note: Sagehunter is what Hermione's animagus form, a female lion, is dubbed, and Knight is what Harry's animagus form, a jaguar, is referred to as, just so someone jumping in doesn't get confused.

5. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The last chapter has been posted; I'm almost sad to see this story end. It's getting harder to find well-written fanfiction.

6. raja

raja Fourth Year

I tried reading this, but I couldn't ever start liking it. It was written well, for sure, but there was something about it that I couldn't stand. 3.75/5 for good writting.

7. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

I started reading this yesterday and I must say, as far as the quality of writing goes, I'm pretty impressed.

Though I dislike pairing Harry with Hermione, I could tolerate it with this fic because the writing is just...damned good. I will post a more thorough review for it on ff.net when I'm a few more chapters in (o_o 68 chapters, damn!) but I wanted to throw my hat into the ring here first.

Give my official rating at a later date.

8. madvilledoc

madvilledoc Squib

This is the kind of story that I thought would generally be hated on this site. This story is a pure romance. Nothing more, nothing less. The romance proceeds slowly (despite the sex scene in Chapter one) and is believable. It is one of the best true romances that I have read in the Harry Potter series.

The story was not without problems however. For a romance, MissAnnThropic seemed to miss or ignore obvious things. There was no mention of either Harry's or Hermione's birthday. There was no mention of the OWLS - I mean we are talking about Hermione, now. This was definitely out of character.
    She forgot about the prefects, although she did mention the error later.

There was also the strict adherence to movie cannon. I can live with this especially since she stated as much at the beginning of the fic. However it wouldn't have changed much if at all to become totally book-cannon true. I think most people saw this as sticking to her morals, but to me it just struck as laziness.

And finally we have the battle with Voldemort. Although not terrible by any means, the battle at the end was almost an afterthought. It was as if the author thought "oh wait, we have to do something about Voldemort" and threw it all at the end. Other than a couple of dreams, there was really no buildup to the finale. If the author had spent as much time and care developing this plotline as she did with the romance, this would truly be one of the greats in my opinion.

Overall a good read with some deficiencies. 5/5 for the romance. 3/5 Overall.

9. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Best H/Hr Romance out there

If you are looking for a good romance fic, after reading enough emopants angst bullshit to make you feel like cutting your own damn wrists, then this is definitely the fic for you. I thought it was fucking beautiful, all the way around, even though you have to be in a certain state of mind (the one mentioned above) to read something that is so purely romance. If you go on FF.Net you will see all the damned reviews that talk about how great it is, and I am included in there, and even though you might think 'Okay, so the sheeple thing it's so great. Who cares?' they are absofuckinglutely right. With all high praises I say that this is the best pure romance out there, and the only romancecentric fic without a shitload of humor mixed in that I could stand. 6/5 people.

10. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think you all are being to hard on the fic, but your are about to ass-rape it, Half-Blood. The stories alright, enough to keep you entertained when you aren't out for blood and guts. It is Hr/H, though, but how many other ships are there? I'm definitely not doing slash, and the potion whore is straight out the window. If you want a romance, the reason you are in the romance section of this sight, give this story a chance and I'm damn well sure you'll enjoy it. 4.5/5

11. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I find it amusing that you people are still rating fics that are already in the Library.

12. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I thought that was the point of posting in the library.
    To review?
    Or did I think wrong.
    Well I enjoyed the writing but like someone mentioned, the plot rubs me the wrong way.
    I just can't see Vernon punching Harry in front of Dumbledore, or Dumbledore not blocking it.

3.5/5 for good writing.

13. Madval29

Madval29 First Year

High Score:
    I've seen this story on many of my favorite authors favorite lists. I honestly thought for a long time that I wouldn't like it so I put off reading it. I also can't remember reading it or really what it's about. But I did add it to my own favorites list. This could be for one of two reasons: I wanted to read it again, I thought I could use parts of it for inspirations, or I just wanted to be able to find the story again. 2/5

If you're going to bump threads this old leave a substantial review to make it worthwhile. User infracted for this post. ~Ched

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
  14. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

This story also has a sequel by another author, not sure if you're interested in reading it or not but here it is.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3623347/1/VOX-CORPORIS-Rebirth

15. Lucius

Lucius Banned

This starts pretty dark. It begins in 4th year and Harry has returned from the graveyard and is wracked with debilitating pain from the cruciatus curse. In an effort to comfort him, Hermione sneaks into his bed to comfort him, holds him which starts helping him but things start getting more and more sexual. Harry first starts snuggling her, then climbs on top of her, then starts kissing her throat, then the lips, and tears her panties which leads to him unintentionally raping her (as he’s barely able to even comprehend his surroundings and on multiple mind-affecting potions). It evolves from there into a Harmony fic centered on animagus self-study, and they both become large cats (ie a panther). It gets them in trouble because they become more reckless as their feline personalities take more prominence.

For those who like a fic that concentrates on relationships rather than action this is highly recommended.