1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Wand and Shield by Roarian/Morta's Priest - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Roarian, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Thanks - I hope I can keep things up. :p

As for the last thing you mentioned - well, Harry didn't mind very much if they mentioned him - he'd just not expected that 'mention' would turn into 'let's introduce you to this mass of photographers.' Mentioning a 'Harry' is not going to point straight to him, after all.

That's what I was going for, in any case.

Cheers. :)

2. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

I definitely like the story. It's well written and I think that you choose the perfect moment in the Avenger story line to have Harry butt in. Even if accepting Harry going to Afghanistan calls for a hefty dose of suspension of disbelief.

Which kind of relate to one of the two grips I have with your story. I am talking about how ignorant Harry is about the world in general. And I am not talking about recent history, but basic stuff like geography and muggle lifestyle. I don't buy the wizard are ignorant isolationist spell that much, even less for him. And it only make Harry sounds like a very dim individual.

The second problem I have with this story is Harry personality. He is just so passive! Every time someone ask him a question he doesn't want to answer he acts all guilty/embarrassed and sprouts a pitiful lie. Why can't he just tell the person that it doesn't concern him/her? I really think he needs more of a "who the fuck are you to ask me that" kind of attitude. Paradoxically you also have him tell very vague/suspicious things to Natasha which only makes him sound like a dick wanting to sound all mysterious (like she points out, so maybe it's intentional).

Other than that I particularly like the interaction between Harry and Tony, and I really think it has the potential for a very terrific partnership. But you should be careful that Tony doesn't always sound so clever and sharp and Harry always so aloof and, well maybe not stupid but certainly indecisive.

3. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Its good.

Like I mentioned on IRC it will be good how Natasha's role will play out in IM2 if Harry is there.

4. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Well, I am writing him as about a decade older than canon, so a few quirks shouldn't be unexpected (particularly given the way he's been living lately.)

I've had comments for and against his somewhat spotty knowledge of Muggle technology; the issue isn't really addressed in canon and Harry spends the majority of his time in the Wizarding World, which I would think doesn't really predispose him to knowing much more than the bare basics about that world. Hermione would, of course - but then Harry really found his home among the wizards after the Dursleys, while she stands with a foot in both world. That's why she's shown experimenting with having modern technology work around magic - like mobile phones, which weren't quite as popular during the canon timeline - while Harry just does the things he need with magic.

As you say, he's being more passive than his canon self; mostly a result of the last few years. Getting involved in things that interest him again without constant pressure from the outside world should jar that a bit so that he takes a more proactive stance and less unnecessarily private about everything. He's hesitant about giving out his last name for example, even though he technically knows nobody would recognize it; he'd rather avoid the issue than face it at this point. (It'll be interesting what Cap and Banner have to say about that; the latter's essentially doing the same thing regarding the Hulk issue.)

Right now he's cocky and driven, having just escaped and rethinking the way his company works; next time he and Harry meet it won't be quite as whimsical. ;)

Hope that helped.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah, I disagree with most of this, but each to his own. I guess I should also keep in mind that I don't know a lot about the Avengers. I saw the Iron Man movie (great), the Avengers movie (good), and The Hulk movie (mediocre at best). That's about it. But let's see here...

See, I quite liked this part.

They don't teach basic stuff like Geography at Hogwarts. Harry might have picked up a little bit in primary school, things like "Where is Russia" or some tidbits about the US, but that's about all I'd expect a slacker like Harry to recall.

I don't think it makes Harry sound dim though, because he never acts dim. He just has a lack of knowledge. Not knowing stuff doesn't make someone stupid, it makes then uninformed, and I think that fits this Harry.

So you want this Harry to act like all the dickholes in bad Indy!Harry fics? What in his background makes you think that this Harry would be the kind to have a "who the fuck are you to ask me that" attitude? He certainly had none of that whatsoever in canon, and it seems like in this story he kept more or less his canon attitudes. Became an Auror, did his level best, got sick of being famous, reformed the Law Enforcement, all while trying his best to be "just Harry" and failing.

He came here to get away from all of that, to relax, etc. That doesn't seem to jive with the bad attitude you seem to want, especially as no one has really threatened Harry yet.

I bet when someone does get around to threatening him you'll see that passiveness, good humor, and seeming indecisiveness go right out the window. People aren't bothering him now, but when they do I wouldn't be surprised to see Harry turn into a proper badass -- because he clearly has it in him given the backstory we've been given.

But I guess we'll see in another handful of updates.

Edit: Roarian beat me by three minutes -- I should have held off, lol.

6. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

What reason would he have to learn them?

Great story by the way. Several steps above almost every Avenger/HP fic I've ever read.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  7. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

It seems just natural that your education doesn't just stop after you finish school, in this case after Harry finished Hogwarts and Auror formation.

And it was implied that Harry had to go abroad several times for mission, even if it was short one. This should implied some preparatory work, at least that's what my (little) knowledge of military or law enforcement institution suggest.
    Also I always figured that after defeating Voldemort, with having more freedom, his strong curiosity would have push him to travel. But the author clearly said that Harry didn't.

About muggle lifestyle, we can't base what we say on canon so it's just pure speculation and personal opinions. I personally think that our formative years are very important, and even if Harry's treatment at the hands of the Dursley wasn't arguably the most enjoyable, I still think that he wouldn't live completely cut of from muggle life. Even more so if his fame was a problem, since the anonymity offered by the muggle world should have been a blessing.
    But like I said, pure speculation and personal opinions. And here the only ones that matter are the author's. And even if I don't have the same one, it doesn't mean that I can't enjoy his story.

Well, maybe I deserve this cheap shot since I wasn't clear enough. What I meant by the poorly phrased "who the fuck are you to ask me that' kind of attitude, wasn't for Harry to be a dick to everyone who ask him a question, or to act like a moody teenager. I just mean that he could very well answer politely to someone that he doesn't want to answer or that he doesn't know him/her well enough to feel comfortable sharing personal information. Or he could just use the traditional witty comeback to evade the question. Whatever float your boat.
    Basically, I just find it weird that frequently in this kind of story where the protagonist doesn't want to reveal too much, he always acts guilty or embarrassed (which kind of raise more flag than playing it cool) when in reality there is no law that forbid you to not answer a question... If it was in front of a representative of any kind of authority I would have understood better, but here there is only this suspicious lady and this billionaire-he-kind-of-saved-the-life-of.

So just to be clear, my problem isn't about Harry not kicking ass, and back handing every mother fuckers that look at him strangely. Sure, I don't like his attitude because it seems too meek, but more aggressiveness isn't what I am looking for, just more confidence. Like maybe a young Dumbledore, confident in his capability but not wanting to brag about it. Not looking for the spot-light but neither being too shy. Something like a happy middle.

8. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Harry is the type with an ingrained sense of right and wrong, and a sharp tongue when annoyed, but most of the time he is passive. I'm trying to think of a moment when but most of the time he comes across in the books as passive but pessimistic in his thoughts.

I agree Harry should be confident, which he is, he just dosen't show it, he came into his own in book six/seven, but without the Ginny romance it was probably even worse for him, but I reckon he has a self assurance that comes from missions after about ten years in the field, but he dosen't have to show it. Roarian could just add it in as an impression of how he walks/etc being like that of a soldier, and simple, self assurance shown.

9. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

When did he seem meek? He came up with a lie to avoid mentioning magic; what reason would a he have for not telling Stark how he got 100 miles through the desert? A refusal to answer is a glaring red flag, and he's obliviated him once already. I don't remember anything specific from the scenes with Natasha, but I don't see any meakness. Just a problem with lying.

10. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Donkey idea was very good, reminds me of Jack Sparrows turtle story.

11. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

It's...it's...beautiful!

5/5 Please continue!

12. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I don't think his attitude is meek here. It's indecisive. He's a tourist and in a new world. To me it looks like he's looking for a new goal in life but doesn't really know what he's looking for. So he's drifting until he does.

---------- Post automerged at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Yeah, liked that one too. He should fake a picture with Stark on a donkey just for the kicks.

13. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

I personally feel Harry would be better off refusing to answer uncomfortable questions because...well, he sucks at lying. He is giving off just as big of a red flag when he lies compared to if he simply would refuse to answer. At least by refusing to answer he would not have to go through the trouble of having to make up a story. The only reason for him to choose lying is if he enjoys making up stories, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Actually, I think it would be kind of funny for Harry to embrace the knowledge that he is unable to lie believingly and instead focus on making his explanations as ridiculous as possible for the lulz. It would even serve as a good defense mechanism to get people to quit asking questions he doesn't want to answer. They would eventually just quit asking because they know they are not going to get a real answer. I'm envisioning something along the lines of what Kakashi does in Naruto whenever someone asks why he is late, i.e. make up some bullshit answer.

Unfortunately, Harry doing such a thing as suggested above would probably feel a bit OOC for how his personality has been portrayed so far in this story. Anyway, I am still greatly enjoying the story so far and it is definitely the best Harry Potter/Avengers crossover I have seen.

14. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Will parrot everyone else and say that I really like this story.

Actually ... this would be pretty fucking awesome.

Make it happen, Roarian.

/begs

15. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Way better than the other HP/Avengers fics that were mentioned in that IRC discussion...I'm glad you decided to write this. I do feel like the pacing is a bit too slow for my tastes, though. I want moar.

16. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Definitely going to be watching this one. Yes, the pacing is slow, but that just means there's more to savor.

Also, this line in particular cracked me up:
    It just seems so perfectly in-character that I can hear Samuel L. Jackson saying it.

17. PotterFan

PotterFan High Inquisitor

This. I imagine him taking it even a bit further. Revealing the existence of magic through these outrageous "lies."

Tony: "Harry! I've been trying to get in touch with you all morning. Usually, when a billionaire genius that's indebted to you --slightly, but indebted none-the-less-- calls, you pick up the phone."

Harry: "Oh...about that, mate. I sleep inside a noise proof ward that I cast on my bed. Simple bit of magic really, but oh so helpful. I knew a certain red-head once that made it a necessity. She had brothers that were a bit.... violence prone....and I've got nosey neighbours."

Tony: " -__-...."

Harry: "Honestly. And when I got up, I went for a quick fly on the old broom over Soho. Had to turn a hawk into a glob of honey though.... seems I've gotten a bit rusty with the Wronski Feint, and I didn't feel for a mouthful of feathers"...."Totally forgot to check that telephonie thingie."

18. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Perhaps those kinds of things could be thrown in with actual bullshit tales - it's actually kind of a fun idea; the one or two times Harry's tried to lie so far he ended up being suspicious as fuck so it fits.

Let's face it though - in the Wizarding World you can spout any bullshit story and it'd be believed, given that half of them are /true/.

19. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

Pretty nice, I have to say. I'm not a big fan of the Avengers (in fact, I appear to be the only person in the universe who disliked the film), but this is good so far.

One thing, though - Harry seems to like saying 'eh' a lot. For example,

"Eh, I found a solution."

"Eh, it's better than nothing."

"Eh," Harry shrugged,

Seriously, you're making him sound like a bored Dara O'Briain. It's annoying.

20. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I don't see a problem with that. Dara O'Briain is awesome.