1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Wand and Shield by Roarian/Morta's Priest - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Roarian, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I really like this story, despite sort of hating the beginning. The characters are great and the budding bromance between Harry, Tony and Bruce is kinda neat. I don't know how much detail the comics went into Norse mythology, but if you're making this up from your own research, then I'm impressed by your interpretation of it. The Asgardian myths fit the story nicely.

Two things I didn't like:

1. The early chapters seemed to drag on. They weren't bad, but they were a bit boring. The first chapter didn't really grab me; it was the HP/Avengers that kept me going.

2. The inserted jokes/puns are getting a bit old. Once or twice is fine, but you're starting to over do it. It distracts from the story.

Despite that, a well deserved 5/5. No question.

2. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

The comics are pretty spotty when it comes to Asgardian lore: not only does it change quite a bit over time, but significant details shift around quite a bit. As far as I'm aware the entire Seidhr-related plot is not used in the comics, since I constructed that based on the actual historical 'wizards' of the Norse.
    Alright, I can see that.

I assume you mean the whole sarcastic comments thing? I figured it was pretty in character as far as the movie version of Tony went, at least for the first movie and a chunk of the second. -shrug- Ah well.

Also thanks. ^^

3. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Actually, no; those are fine. I meant all the movie references. They get a bit out of hand sometimes and I find them a bit distracting. It's not the way you use them, but for me in general.

By the way, exactly how does Harry's hero get-up look like? I think I missed it and I can't find it. Help? :)

4. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Well, I'm writing the new chapter after a few other random chapters for other fics such as TLN and AwfE (which is also getting another update soonish), and I figured I could pitch a few quotes in here for now.

>: )

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  5. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

Well, this look really promising. Except the bit with Voldemort, can't really be bother to hear about him again. But I am pretty sure that it's not as straightforward as him coming back from the dead, maybe it's Loki fucking with his head. At least I hope so.

Anyway, I am looking toward the next chapter.

6. The Black

The Black First Year

Thought the same, or maybe it could be a nightmare? And Sif with fear of heights is highly amusing.

7. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

[​IMG]

Not yet ready, but I figured some of you would like to pitch in on it while I hammer it into shape.

Chapter 19 so far.

8. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

The note about Curiosity just after Sif's curiosity was funny, but probably not intentional, eh?

9. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Unintentional funnies are probably the best kind, anyway.

I've had Mars on my mind recently; I've been reading The Case for Mars and I still don't get how we had the tech and money 15 years ago to do a manned Mars mission, and it never went anywhere because NASA wasn't happy that it didn't include the ISS and such.

/me shakes fist impotently.

10. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I would have thought that Harry would have 'subconsciously' Hulked out (not going green and crazy, but incoherant with rage and using his magic in destructive ways), until snapping himself out of it.

Would have been a good opening for Sif to start looking at him differently (no, not in a romantic light, but a, "Holy shit - he's a one man apocalypse" sort of light).

Sif's clinical attitude towards unclothing Harry was pretty amusing, too - still, a one-liner saying, "Huh - so Seidhr are as well equipped as Asgardians" would be been funny, too.

11. PotterFan

PotterFan High Inquisitor

hmmm....So Harry's inner Hulk is Voldie? New twist on an old concept. Not sure how I feel about this new development just yet. I'm gonna settle with "cautiously optimistic" for now.

12. logiccosmic

logiccosmic DA Member

If Tony ever finds out about the undressing, there will be a plethora of wand jokes.

13. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

Every time I see A.I.M. mentioned in the story I keep thinking AOL Instant Messanger. I wonder if AOL could sue Advanced Idea Mechanics for using their abbreviation? :)

14. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

Another great chapter like always..when I saw you had updated I thought about fucking time. lol Anyway, I cant wait to see how the harry and thor interaction goes. I have a feeling they are gonna end up trying to one up each other in battle.

15. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

There's one structural flaw in the layout of the chapter, I believe.

The scene with the broomstick is in the beginning, has Harry and Sif hurry after Bruce, for some reason.

Afterwards, they land, and Harry say's that Bruce should take some time hulking out. And they stop, to well, camp and review memories - completely without hurry.

Maybe you should mix those up - move the broom scene to the start of the new chapter, when they need to find Bruce fast, and have the visions start earlier - you could still remain in the same time-frame, but you'd only have to get them moving later. No more discord between need to hurry and calm research while waiting for Bruce to change back.

Just my thoughts.

16. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

I thought up another question while reading this chapter. Couldn't Harry simply dispose of the gamma bombs/missiles by using a basic vanishing charm on them? I could see this not being a viable option if the bombs/missiles have already been launched and are moving too fast to hit accurately with the spell, but if Harry and company find them before they are launched, I don't see why a vanishing charm wouldn't work better than Tony's complicated outer space plan.

17. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Or he could just turn them into tuna.

18. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mutant Hulk Tuna terrorize coast of Japan. "TUNA SPLASH!", more on this at 11, now for Jim with sports.

19. guljons

guljons Squib

I took it as Voldemort in the vision was Loki screwing around.

20. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

I didn't intend to convey the idea that there was some extreme need to hurry at the beginning there. Harry didn't want to go running because, well, what are you going to accomplish on foot when the other guy leaps ridiculous distances? They'd planned on a week or so, it wasn't like there was a time issue until it turned out A.I.M. was going for something rather nastier than just sending robotic drones to Tony's place.

That said, let me know what you think. :)