1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Wand and Shield by Roarian/Morta's Priest - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Roarian, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Presumably the comment regarding the 15 Megatons? My response, then.

I didn't want to go into absurd Tsar Bomba territory with these, mostly since the Gamma Bombs in the comics have traditionally been more about the horrible side-effects than the sheer explosive power. I went with the Castle Brave incident as a benchmark, which spread a huge fallout cloud; figuring that the Gamma devices would be an even greater danger in this regard seems in line with canon. Suffice to say a 15 MT bomb is more than capable of wiping out major cities; we are still talking 1000 times the explosive power of Hiroshima, after all.

2. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Nah, this was my comment:
    Mainly I'm wondering if it says it is written by Anonymous or not. When I see it, it shows my first and last name (or rather what google thinks my first and last name are).

3. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Me love you long time.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yay! The broom came up finally ^^ That made me grin.

5. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Well, Harry can reach obscene speeds too if he's on his own, though probably not the supersonic stuff that Tony pulls off. Though with that new one he hasn't unwrapped...? ;)

An odd PM I got after this latest chapter. I disagree on various points, but I figured I could let people here decide.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, wow. I didn't even think of that. That would be interesting. Better hope Peter never finds out about it, if true.

7. Publius

Publius First Year

I was wondering how you were going to get Peter Parker involved! I didn't even think of it when I read that passage -- that is an exceptionally clever way to bring him on board.

As for the complaint about anthropomorphizing Death, I find such a humanized scenario far more intriguing than a battle between stock characters. The whole dynamic of giving Death a (female) face and making Harry 'her' Master while Thanatos is her suitor/champion/would-be lover... that makes for an incredible story. I'd certainly consider it one of the main redeeming features of that other HP/Avengers crossover "Finding Home."

8. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Definitely enjoyed this latest chapter - the stuff with Death was cool, and a good way to balance some of Harry's master of death powers. I imagine this would have attracted Thanos' attention, as per Banner's shades words. Also, I'd agree that she was talking about Ben Parker which is pretty awesome.

Definitely looking forward to seeing some action soon though, and more Tony being awesome. He was definitely good in this chapter though to be fair.

In regards to the PM you got Roarian, I confess I've never read the comics so I might be missing the point, but I don't really see what the issue they have is. I don't really see why inspiration can't come from both versions - or why you can't just basically pull whatever you want from either as long as the story makes sense and is interesting.

9. Piekage

Piekage Squib

I disagree on a number of points.

I don't have much of a problem with AIM being a big threat. Granted I wanna get into the movies asap but it's been interesting so far so I don't see a problem. The 'original and cool' ideas are a matter of opinion, and I don't care either way, but considering Tony had Harry's identity to consider it makes perfect sense why he would go with the cover story provided. Anyone who knows Harry lives with him would put two and two together if Tony outed himself as Iron Man. And even if Death hasn't been in the movies I think it works in this, especially considering how busted the Resurrection Stone would be if you could use it whenever. Nice limiter on that one too, IMO.
    Eh, doesn't seem like valid criticism to me, just the guy complaining about things he doesn't like. I don't know much about the comics though. Still, I like that you borrow from multiple sources.
    I don't really know what he's talking about here. Maybe I missed something?
    Seems like he's thinking too hard about this. Just because it's based in the Movieverse doesn't mean you have to stick strictly to what's canon in that verse. It's fanfiction for god's sake. If I wanna see just what's in the canon that's what the movies are for. As long as it's not stupid what's the problem?

Love the fic btw.

10. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Caught up and I must say I wanted the old guy too be a Stan Lee cameo :p but if this is really how you go about introducing Spidey it makes it much more interesting as a plot point.

Also using Death as motivation for Thanos is awesome. Just fucking awesome. The entire scene feels good. Would be even cooler if I didn't know who the bad guy was.

Also the PM is garbage... You are filling out the Movieverse with good parts of the comic book canon.

11. Constans

Constans Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Figured, I'd run out run out of reasons to avoid leaving a review by now. So here goes (avoiding grammar/spellings because they're usually decent and there are better proofreaders around here)...

This is more of a general observation that stuck me - Harry is incredibly passive in this chapter/fic in general. He doesn't have a sense of urgency that's been a defining characteristic of his. Though, you have kept it consistent throughout the story (without many changes in his tone) and explained it by him being on 'vacation', so that does explain it well enough I suppose.

Continuing on the same point - when do you intend to get around to explaining the mechanics of Harry coming over to this world (if at all)? Because, the story's progressed quite a bit, so a definite conclusion either ways seems overdue.

Next, there is the scene with Death. Something which bugged me was that at one point you tried to demonstrate Harry's sheer incomprehension of a physical manifestation of death. Yet, he's able to see when she's speaking sadly or happily or sternly. Shouldn't she be more...unreadable then?

Also, the part about Harry yelling at Death somehow seems rather superficial and doesn't seem to convey Harry's desperation/anguish at him being responsible for a death. The whole him grabbing Death's robe also seems a little presumptuous and unrealistic.

Something I'm confused by is the relation of Death with Harry's universe. Is Death universal or is she specific to the Marvel Universe? You write about her power/relation with the Peverells assuming the former. Yet her description is from the latter. Also, if Death is universal, are higher order beings from Marvel (say anything Asgardians or maybe higher than that) universal too? What is the limit of that bleed in then?

All that said, I do like Harry channeling his guilt into anger. And Tony's characterization seems to strike the right balance between sarcasm/humour/seriousness (something very hard to write about as fluently as RDJ makes it seem on screen).

Final nitpick: Shouldn't Harry have some protection around the Resurrection Stone? The Cloak he doesn't use while fighting and the Wand is in his hand. But the Stone seems rather unprotected in the heat of the upcoming battle.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Incarnation of Death or not, she's still in a human body. That means if she uses facial expressions Harry should be able to read them.

Death is universal, but there are very few higher powers in the HPverse, so the rules are a little more lax there. The reason Death is so worried in this fic is that there are a bunch of insanely powerful things out there that could wreak serious havoc on a cosmic scale if they were to get a hold of the Resurrection Stone.

You mean being attached to the only wizard in the world, who also happens to own the Elder Wand, isn't protection enough?

13. Constans

Constans Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that since Harry reflects upon his incomprehension of Death (nicely done btw),he'd have more trouble reading the being. But fair enough.

All good. Though my question/confusion is more about the 'bleed in'. How much would said universal beings talk about HPverse? Also, would there be some sort of character from HP making his way as a universal being (though I don't see that happening as none in HP canon seems powerful enough).

If someone directly tries to take away the Resurrection Stone, yes. In the normal heat of battle? Probably not, given that fighting in usually messy. I was thinking more along the lines of it falling away or some such asinine thing. Though when Harry talks about not 'hiding' it, I suppose he covers for that sort of thing. So point retracted.

14. Azrael83

Azrael83 Second Year

It was a pretty good read I'd recommend it.

15. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

Nice chapter. However, to be honest, I feel Harry is being a little melodramatic in the beginning of the chapter when he says he's saved the world once already. I really don't consider the war with Voldemort a world threat. At most, he saved his home country, stopping a civil war. I don't think Voldemort's war had the potential to spread like Grindelwald's (World War 2).

16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What part of an immortal, all-powerful Dark Wizard isn't world threatening?

17. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

See, I didn't make Roarian stop writing via GW2! Also, a decent build-up chapter, and I'm eager for the follow-up.

18. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Ok very nice. The fall scene was well executed. I really enjoy Sif. Also you have covered your plot well

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

That was bloody fantastic Roarian. I had a ton of fun reading that chapter. There was a lot of action, flying, magic, interesting conversations (between Harry and Tony & Sif and Bruce), unexpected dangers...

A little of everything, and it was just *fun* to read. Fantastic.

20. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Well.

That was incredibly awesome.