1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Wand and Shield by Roarian/Morta's Priest - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Roarian, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

I wonder if Harry could use knowledge from the Hogwarts library or perhaps the Chamber of Secrets if he can somehow figure out how to access it(unless it was opened in the school battle and never closed) and perhaps use the knowledge he can gain there to learn more about stuff that aren't in his books, like for example how to fly without a broom like Snape and Voldemort were able to do.

2. Russano

Russano Disappeared

What knowledge from the Chamber of Secrets?

Yay for Roarian updating again. Back to work slave! Really looking forward to the next chapter. I wish people would use the basilisk more, I'd like to see how badass adult wizards handle them.

3. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Isn't there a secret library that got mentioned in the Chamber of Secrets? Or is that a fanon idea? If there is a library, then it would be interesting if Harry was able to gain knowledge from it.

By the way, Harry/Sif or Harry/Natasha sounds pretty good...

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  4. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Unless there's a major difference in the way wizards work between the two universes, chances are there isn't much worth learning in the Library or CoS. While there might be some ancient magics that he can learn, magic in HPverse doesn't seem to follow the 'more ancient the magic the more powerful' format. Instead, magical discoveries happen over time, and the WASverse is missing a full thousand years of development. A lot of the things that Harry knows were probably developed relatively recently.

On the other hand, without the re-shuffling of books over the years, a lot of those 'old magics' that was happening in the background in HPverse (souls, love, etc.) would probably be a lot easier to find.

And the CoS never contained anything but the basilisk in canon.

5. Russano

Russano Disappeared

It's a dingy cavern thing with a big ass statue and a snake. Not Slytherins secret lair of awesome parselmagic and Slytherins secret portrait hanging there waiting to teach the next heir his sexyness.

6. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

It's hard to tell anymore what's canon and what's not. We really do need some type of list stating everything that a fanon idea that is not canon. It'd be long, but it'd make things easier.

Anyway, I wonder if this reality follows the fandom theory(technically I've seen this idea mentioned in more than one story, so I shall consider it a theory) that muggleborns are descended from squibs who have been cast to the muggle world and eventually have children with magic? It would explain why there are no muggleborns around. No squibs, no muggleborns.

7. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

What the hell! I've been waiting forever for updates in the WbA and I just realized I'm like 8 chapters late on FFnet. Damn Roarian deciding to forgo the WbA. I didn't put an alert on the FFnet version...I was getting tired of getting two emails for every update!

Now I've got some stuff to read eh.

8. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

So not sure why Roarian stopped posting his stuff here, but there's a new chapter up on FFN. Link. Interlude with Deadpool.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Liking the shout out, Roarian. Liking it a lot!

10. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Nice comeback after a long while of silence Roarian. Always found Deadpool a bit too random for my tastes but this was a good read regardless.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Heh. I've never read Deadpool, but I didn't know he was this batshit crazy. It was interesting to see that even in his few moments of sanity and clarity, he prefered his madness over it.

12. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

The important thing about Deadpool is that he knows he's in a Comic Book (and presumably in this, knows he's in fanfiction). That's where a lot of the crazy really comes from.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Eh. Doesn't that mean the writers made him into a moving joke rather than a character? People enjoy reading him, and he's funny but no one will ever take him seriously.

14. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, he's pretty much been Flanderized into oblivion at this point. From what I've seen there used to be an interesting character in there though. As I understood it he was a mercenary who tried to do the right thing, but got shit on more than Spider-Man while doing it which prevented him from being a hero. Or something like that. I never really got into it that much. I've heard the author who did him right was a guy named Kelly, while the guy who made him into this lolsorandum joke character was a guy named Way.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  15. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Basically, the old Deadpool series, which even at it's weakest (under Priest) was still highly memorable along with Cable & Deadpool were awesome renditions of the character. Daniel Way wrote an abomination wearing the same face. I've heard some decent things about the newest writer but I haven't checked it out yet.

But effectively Deadpool wants to be a hero. He's just horribly damaged and constantly put in situations where even doing the right thing feels wrong. It's actually really depressing, but was covered up with clever humor

16. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

I'm thinking of starting in on this story, how much knowledge of Avengers is needed? i.e. if I've only ever heard of avengers in the context of this story will I be completely lost or does it sort of ease in?

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It starts off at the very beginning of Marvel Movie Canon (Iron Man) and gradually introduces new elements as though they were completely original, so you don't have to have any foreknowledge to understand what's going on. Roarian is really good with the explanations.

18. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

My knowledge of Avengers comes entirely through pop-culture osmosis and I did not ever find the story confusing (but I assume I missed some things).

19. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

When I started reading HP/Avenger crossovers, I knew nothing of avengers and its plot, and I managed it just fine.

20. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Hey, so I totally forgot this topic existed for some reason, hence not informing you guys of an update (interludish though it was.) I'm about 9500 words through with a proper update that follows through from where the previous one left off, ignoring Deadpool's bit. I hope to put that out here before the end of the year at least. I'm also trying to finish up a few other ones I've been getting progress on.

Hopefully, I can get a TLN and DH chapter before christmas, but I'm not sure on that.

Cheers!