1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Wand and Shield by Roarian/Morta's Priest - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Roarian, Jun 4, 2012.

1. ketz3r

ketz3r Second Year

2. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Is Roarian still on the forums? It's his prerogative whether he posts in WbA or not, but I don't think I've seen him post anything on the forums for awhile. 'Course, I could be talking out of my ass here.

3. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Can't believe I'm helping you stalk; according to his profile, his last post was on 2-19 and he was last seen viewing the DLP-Fight Club thread yesterday.

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/member.php?u=15488

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Roarian is semi-regularly on IRC.

5. MisterTabi

MisterTabi Third Year

Roarian appears to have more or less moved to SB forums. At least considering how much time he's invested into Stark Transcendent Quest.

6. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He's having fun running his Quest By Post over on SB, but he's still almost a regular in IRC.

Speaking of which, I should go pester him.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What is quest by post/stark transcendent quest?

If it's something he's writing, I want in.

8. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Get on IRC, wait for him to pop on, ask him about it, he'll explain everything.

Basically, Roarian presents a story world with what he thinks should/will happen, then sets out several paths for the 'players' of the story to choose from.

The forum comes together and votes on which action to take, you can try submitting an option and convincing people to follow your path, or you can lend your support to someone else's, or follow the options the author (in this case, Roarian) gives you.

Then, once a consensus has been reached (or the author gets tired of watching people bicker and chooses the one with the most support at the moment), he writes out what happens in response to your choices and the whole process starts all over again as the story continues.

It's pretty fun stuff, but takes too long for me to remain engaged in, sadly.

Roarian has one going based around Tony Stark/Iron Man, and from what I've watched of it (I don't participate) it's pretty bawse.

9. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Back on Wand and Shield - I feel like Roarian needs to get back to what made the earlier parts of this fic so great, that being the interactions between Harry and the other Avengers. Loki is cool I guess, but I honestly don't care very much about what happened to the wizards in the Marvel universe. Maybe that's a result of the reading the updates in such a staggered manner, but I mostly find myself bored reading the scenes in Hogwarts.

I'm somewhat reminded of ryuugi's Master of Death HP/DF fic, and the part where Harry went back in time and fought against the giants (fomor? I can't even remember what he was fighting) - the story feels like it's lost a lot of it's pace and I think a fair bit of that is because there is so much less character interaction in both examples.

Tony and Peter's scene was definitely the highlight of this chapter for me because of this, short as it was. I'm definitely looking forward to Harry getting back to New York (or wherever) and meeting back up with Tony, Bruce, Natasha and the rest.

10. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I feel exactly the same way. I skimmed all that pretty heavily and only paid attention to Tony and Peter's scene.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm actually quite interested in what happened to the other wizards -- these parts haven't dragged for me at all, but that might be because I've only read it in one big chunk. For example, I'd just re-read the entire thing when I decided to bug Roarian about it on IRC, and 2 days later it updated with this recent bit in Hogwarts.

To me it feels like... hmm, the "what happened to the Seidhr" storyline is Harry's story, and we're seeing it first hand. It's the answer to the "Iron Man" movie, which still more or less happens despite Harry not being involved in most of it. Same for how "The Hulk" movie still happened, and presumably "Captain America" and "Thor" will too.

The movie storylines might be altered somewhat by Harry's presence, but they're mostly playing out around him while he does his own thing. This Harry-centric storyline is the equivalent of Harry's "movie" in the universe, the story that features him predominantly while the other Avengers are doing their own things.

I actually sort of like it, provided it doesn't drag on for too long, and I feel that we aren't to that point yet.

12. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

One more chapter, actually, before it's back to our regular scheduled programming. Which involves Thor, so Loki's presence isn't random. The fate of the wizards is indeed more or less Harry's personal plot thread - his link to the tapestry. Don't count on another solo adventure after this one, though - at least, not soon. Cap and Thor are almost there, there's plenty of new material to get into. :p

In a roundabout way, this little sidetrip is where Harry goes from spectator to participant - finding that he has a personal stake in things, owning up to the fact that he's basically the only one who could possibly seek justice for what happened, and that he is capable of that. Nothing better to clear the sinuses than stabbing chaos in the brain.

Also, I'm sorry for not really posting around on the board much, I'm mostly a lurker atm, here. The quest on SB just fit better there, since DLP doesn't really have a roleplaying boner, nor an irrational fondness of transhumanist themes. SB is suitably insane for that sort of content.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  13. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

14. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

Fuck, I did not see that one coming.

15. PotterFan

PotterFan High Inquisitor

When the big reveal happened I instantly thought of Renegade Cause...there was an out-of-phase Hogwarts in that story too, if I remember correctly. Bad guy Peeves is always satisfying. Awesome chapter.

16. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

You obviously don't have to, but it might be polite to put that in spoiler tags, just in case someone hops in the thread and sees your post straightaway. I agree completely though, that was a great chapter.

Damn, the wait is going to be frustrating this time. Great job Roarian.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  17. invinoveri

invinoveri Fourth Year

That was well done. I love smug Loki but HP has to troll him a bit next chapter. He told him not to mess with the Basilisk and what does he do..

NTD
  18. OneSimpleIdea

OneSimpleIdea Second Year

I actually like the Harry scenes because they are his story the way each of the avengers has their own movie. I agree on your assessment of the Master of Death HP/DF fic - I barely read all the paragraphs in the giant chapter.

The new chapter is pretty awesome. Totally got that Renegade Cause feel.

19. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

EPIC chapter...kudos.

20. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Loki got petrified.
    That's fucking hilarious :awesome