1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Wand and Shield by Roarian/Morta's Priest - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Roarian, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Granted.

They already knew about the apparition though - and Harry doesn't know about the trackers yet. Anyway, I might edit the dialogue to reflect that they noticed him suddenly being elsewhere.

I added little tags -StartCh1- etc. to quickly get to the various chapters, I figured that was helpful - I'll consider just posting the next ones with links instead to the new post.

Cheers.

2. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Great stuff so far. I don't much about the Avengers/SHIELD or the characters themselves outside of what I saw in the movies, but I think you've done an excellent job with it.

Just one small point: I think the muggle-repelling charm is Protego Muggletum and not Repello Muggletum. Its nothing particularly important but it stood out to me.

I liked the second ending better too - though I think that Harry should realize they're tracking him now even without having the drones going kaput inside his body.

3. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

The charm's correct as I have it, I'm afraid. Blame Mrs. Rowling for that. :p

Harry's aware he's being tracked - he's just not aware how far SHIELD's taking that. The fact that he can vanish into thin air and turn invisible is greatly aggravating for someone following on foot. :p

4. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  5. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Since, I don't think anyone else has pointed it out. This:

Is very incorrect. They teach apparition by using short distances such as in the Great Hall and at various points throughout the books Fred and George are seen using it to go very small distances just because they could. They (or any other character for that matter) never showed any side effects from apparition be it short or long distance.

I get why you want to make this the way you are. Apparition would be a curb stomp if it didn't have a flaw, but it does have a flaw. You need to be able to concentrate or you will leave part of yourself behind. The better your concentration the less time you need, but you can't vanish and reappear in an instant. It probably takes at least a second or two in calm conditions. In a battlefield....you'd probably only want to do it when left with no other choice or if you manage to shield yourself long enough to think properly.

6. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Now that you mention it, I'll have to look into that - I was under the (mistaken) impression that we only got long-distance views; haven't read the book that covers this in a while, I suppose.

In this chapter I could do without the side-effects, leaving the issue of how to make it not an overpowered curbstomp for discussion.

7. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I mentioned in my previous post, you wouldn't need to add a drawback to teleporting to take Harry down.

There's nothing wrong with being a vicious backstabbing cunt. Indeed, it would probably be the preferable approach for a government organization to take.

Poison, darts, snipers, surprise, drugs... I'm sure you can think of many more. You already had them drug him with nanobots or whatever they were, I'm sure if you needed Harry to be captured or knocked out, it wouldn't take very much effort for them to do it.

But it's pretty difficult for muggles to prevent Harry from teleporting 100+ miles away from a fight whenever he gets a brief moment to duck behind a wall, and then concentrate and disappear, unless they immediately incapacitated him.

8. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Apparation in the hands of a competent witch/wizard is definitely over-powered against non-wizards - no two ways about it. Even if it is argued that he doesn't want to risk splitting his focus in the middle of a fight (possible), he can still use it to get out of the way of powerful attacks he doesn't want to waste time blocking.

But aside from competence (which Harry clearly has) there are some heavy limitations to its use.

First, it isn't something that can be causally used all the time in a fight. Ultimately, apparation is a method of general transporation and not a magic particularly devised for battle - it is slow. In a fight, I don't think it'd be reasonable to have the wizard easily popping all over the place like some authors tend to do in fanfics. If Iron Man fired one of his weapons at Harry from a distance, Harry can easily apparate away even if he's unable/unwilling to block the attack with spellwork for some reason. But if Iron Man manages to get in close and tries to punch Harry, the defense will have to be normal spellwork - apparation is not going to help.

Second, it also becomes a real problem even within its limitations in many-on-many fights. If someone chucks a long-range attack at Harry he can apparate out of the way - but that is only viable if Natasha/Clint/someone isn't there fighting alongside him because what was intended for him can easily hit them. When teamwork is required, apparation can mess Harry's side up damn quickly if they aren't really well coordinated.

EDIT: Of course, all this is valid only if Harry wants to fight. If he doesn't want to or believes he needs to gtfo, then he can apparate a 100 miles away like Iztiak said and that'd be that. There's not much anyone can do to stop him. In fact, they can't even track him.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  9. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Thank you two for your comments - I'll take them into consideration for when Harry gets into his first proper fights. I chose to go with the option that didn't involve Harry knocking out Barton, given that it's a little more in line with his standoffish approach so far in not antagonizing the people following him as long as they leave him alone.

I also removed the paragraph regarding short-distance apparating, as it was simply incorrect canonically (I have been schooled.)

The coming chapter will deal with a few issues started in this chapter such as SHIELD's latest attempt to track Harry; since they use advanced technology, it's not going to be too successful, as they'll find out. (Also Harry listening in on Barton.) and meeting Pepper.

10. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

As much as I agree with the whole "get out of dodge" approach to Apparation, I feel I should point out a method used to attempt to catch a teleporter from Jumper (the book, not the movie): They used a tranquilizer dart with a tracking device attached, and shot him. The goal was that since they knew he would get away before they could grab him (he could teleport as a reflex by that point), to have him pass out, then collect him after. The only reason this didn't work was that the barb only caught the edge of his skin, so he didn't get a full dose and was able to get the dart out before passing out. And this was in a book written in 1992, almost twenty years before the start of the movieverse--they could have a more high-tech way of taking him down.

So yeah, not a fool-proof way of escaping.

As a side question, where is Agent Coulson in all this? It seems something more up his alley than Barton. Barton seemed more of a bodyguard/security-guard/assassin type rather than a stake-out person.

11. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Coulson is otherwise engaged at the moment: namely he is at Stark's press conference. ;)

12. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Hrm, yeah, the tactics used by the 'bad guys' in Jumper are probably the sorts of things that SHIELD would already be working on and developing now that they know Harry can teleport. I can't imagine such a powerful secret government agency would leave anything to chance if they didn't absolutely have to.

Does this Harry have any knowledge of wards and how to use them? It would be a bit odd if wards and ward-breaking weren't a part of his Auror training, really.

A good way of escaping bad situations would be to Apparate into a warded area, especially one unapproachable by Muggles. Does Harry have the ability to cast the Fidelius Charm? If so, he could use that to create a safehouse where no one could find him. Of course, he would only do that if he realised the full capabilities of Muggle tracking technology when sneakily applied. Even if the devices don't function for long around his magic, they would probably do so long enough to track his Apparation destination after making a quick escape.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Read the final version of ch5 on ffnet -- liked the ending you went with.

14. Jawke

Jawke Squib

I was always under the impression that apparition did not require a wand is it stated somewhere that you need one?
    Sorry didn't see that someone already commented about this.

15. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Just for sake of personal preference, I'll say you don't need your wand to Apparate. I don't ever recall reading on how someone draws out their wand in order to do so, although most Apparation is either off-screen or happens in order to flee the scene, most cases of which they already their wands out. And you should be grasping the wand if you need it to teleport--being able to Apparate without doing so would be like being able to text without taking your phone out of your pocket.

I've always had the theory that as a wizard isn't merely reliant on his wand for magic, that a wand is a tool that helps them use magic in a more refined form and is not the only way of using it. For example, the bouncing that Neville does when he is dropped out a window as a kid--does this life-saving bout of magic disappear once a child masters their wand? I've always liked how the movies showed wizards able to perform minor feats of magic wandlessly and casually--the wizard stirring his tea by swirling his finger, Voldemort pushing a giant's corpse out of his way with a waving motion, Dumbledore extinguishing and re-lighting a candle with a pass of his hand. It seemed to me that as a wizard gets older and more experienced with his magic, he becomes less reliant on the rigid forms he learned as a schoolboy. It's nice to see those little things that make the magic feel more alive.

16. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Wards are fanon. There are charms and other such spells that function in this manner but they are not officially called wards to my knowledge. And he would know such charms because assuming this sticks mostly to canon they used them on the tent to avoid being found be Voldemort and he probably learned more after his training.

As for the sleeping dart, yeah, it could happen, but Harry could also have one of those shield hats (or apply the same idea to a different article of clothing) that springs to life whenever he is being attacked. That is the biggest hurdle to overcome for muggles because brute force doesn't seem to break shields in the HP verse. It is other magic that breaks through shields.

There is also the issue of charms that can be placed on one's skin. We got a glimpse of such things in the 4th book. Particularly the partial transfiguration used by Krum. And as the author pointed out previously wizards are simply more durable than muggles. They don't get hurt as easily and their senses seem sharper.

I'm not saying Harry could curb stomp everyone in this universe, but I think he could beat anyone even the Hulk...it just might take a lot out of him to do it especially since he doesn't want to use certain spells.

Personally, I think people are overlooking the simple solution to the hulk. A cheering charm that any third year knows. ;) I'm sorry that would just be a hilarious scene. Harry hiding trying his best to survive when someone mentions the hulk has anger issues, and Harry just stepping out and saying something like "Well, why didn't you bloody well say so in the first place?"

17. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

This story is solid. I agree with Cheddar that the wording of "he attacked me" is out of place. Sounds like he's panicking...

18. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I noticed a mistake in the summary on FFN.
    Should be he.

19. Elsworth

Elsworth Fifth Year

Well, they have experienced a load of technical difficulties with trackers before. It is quite likely that they are expecting such problems with the nano trackers. They have zero knowledge about his "teleportation", so, the random noises, and the technical problems would probably be brushed off. Especially since they don't know he can turn invisible.

I've been using ctrl+f and searching for ch(insert number). That takes me down to the correct spot.

20. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

I also want to point out that in canon experienced wizards apparate more quietly - Fred and George - new at this, apparated with cracking noise as is Mundugnus, not the best of wizards. Arthur Weasley, experienced wizard apparated with soft popping noise, Voldemort and Dumbledore seem to vanish silently.
    It is also remarked in HBP by Harry that the mark of a competent wizard is making less of a various noise and flashes.