1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WandaVision (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Jan 17, 2021.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day. You will be naked for eternity."

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    When Wandavision was first announced, I wasn't remotely interested in it, but fair's fair, it's been great. It's been a treat seeing them actually get to act for more than a minute in between action scenes, and I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop. It probably peaked with the reveal in episode 7, admittedly more for the way it was done than the content of the reveal, and it's a little disappointing that some of the theories turned out to just be wishful thinking, but it's not like what we got was actually bad, just fandom running away with its/our selves.

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Having said upfront that the trailer looked awful and I had no interest in watching it, I just got done watching it.

It wasn't quite as terrible as the trailer made it look, but I think I probably fast forwarded through about two thirds or so of it because huge sections were so ridiculously boring.

Overall, I'd say it was an interesting idea, that was let down by some truly horrific creative decisions. If it wasn't for a year of lockdown having had me really run down the list of media I've not yet watched, I almost certainly wouldn't have bothered fast forwarding through the boring bits (which included pretty much the entirety of the first couple of episodes) and would just have switched it off.

7. Swirly Mango

Swirly Mango Seventh Year

It's kinda weird that Wanda didn't realise that the Bohner guy wasn't but I guess that's explainable by her being a novice magician? But then she enters Agnes memories or something? The more you think about Quicksilver the weirder it gets.

Overall I loved Wandavision, but the retro scenes were very skippable.

I disagree with others saying WhiteVision is the old Vision. He has the same memories but not the same heart is what I understood from that scene. i.e. without the Mind Stone he's just a robot until he develops his emotions again.

8. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The quicksilver thing seems so out of character for Marvel as a whole, I could almost be convinced they did it that way on purpose. I don't think so personally, but they way they're so planned out in advance at this point, nothing would really shock me that much.

It would be fascinating to see what Kevin Feige's main long-term storyboard looks like these days, and just how far in advance he has storylines drawn out.

9. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I binged the entire season yesterday -- it definitely stood well as an 'extended' movie.

The retro scenes were take-it-or-leave it. If you knew the source materials (the malcolm in the middle one was amazing to me personally), they were well done. I didn't see a need to fast forward anything, generally enjoyed the whole thing. I came in completely blind, so didn't have the weird overblown expectations that the fandom seemed to have. The ending was competent, and the SFX definitely felt closer to movie-style than tv-show-style.

Definitely a bit baffled by the white vision just disappearing completely. I was expecting a 'I am the real Vision, I must destroy myself' logic thing, but having all the memories and just flying off was a bit weird.

10. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

I liked the fake-sitcom stuff, but I think they should have leaned harder on the surreal horror elements of that. For me the best moments of the whole show were the ending of the first episode where the dinner with the sitcom boss suddenly gets super weird, and anytime Vision freed someone from Wanda's mind control and they show how terrified they were.

Everything outside the Hex with SWORD was just bland as hell to me and I think the show would have been better off if that element was removed entirely, and there was just a lot more of Agathta and Wanda interacting. Randall Park is an enjoyable actor but his character never had anything to actually do, and Monica was blatantly only involved to give her powers for a future movie, rather than because she added anything to this show. And there was absolutely no need for Hayward to exist and be a generic villain when the central conflict should have just been Wanda and Agatha - they both worked better as villains than he did.

Overall I'd say this was a lot weaker than Daredevil and season 1 of Jessica Jones, but probably better than the rest of the Marvel TV shows, though that's not a super high bar to clear.