1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Was Molly Weasley a member of the old Order of the Phoenix?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seratin, May 8, 2012.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Formerly a library thread derailment (guess where) about the members of the Order of the Phoenix:

I may be wrong here but I don't remember it saying that Molly was in the original Order. Her brothers were but does it say she was?

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
  2. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, she and Arthur weren't in the photo Alastor Moody shows Harry (or at least the book doesn't mention them there).

3. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I don't really think Molly and Arthur were the members of the original Order of the Phoenix.......

Arthur is a poor pureblood employee in the Department of misuse of muggle artifacts and Molly is a normal boring house wife. They are nothing special for Dumbledore to take a notice of them.

The fact that Arthur and Molly were invited into the new Order is an act of desperation from Dumbledore since only the best witches and wizards were invited by Albus into his order.

Non-related portions removed

4. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

With your comments you're saying that Dumbledore only accepts rich, useful, PUREBLOODS as Order member. What you described are the Death Eaters. From what I understand, Dumbledore accepted anybody into the OOTP as long as they were loyal. After all, Snape was neither a pureblood, rich, nor influential. At the time when he switched sides he only did so b/c he was in love w/ Lily. Snape had obviously delivered valuable information despite his apparent "short comings." Who's too say that the Weasley's didn't have anything to offer? After all, the Prewitts apparently died for the Order, so you could assume that Molly and the Weasley's wanted to support the Order.

5. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

I don't think it was ever stated the exact time in which she became part of the order and relying on a photograph exclusively I would say isn't all that reliable. They could have simply not been part of the order yet or even just missed that photo shoot. It wouldn't surprise me if she joined right after the deaths of her brothers. Beyond that is the order still function and gaining new members in peace time? I find it kind of odd that a middle aged couple would join an order who's dedication is war. Especially with 7 children, most of which are at Hogwarts. I find it somewhat odd that they would even be given an invitation. Does anyone know if it was ever stated in canon?

6. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I merely wanted to say that Dumbledore accepted powerful and talented individuals into his Order......Molly Weasley, however is a house wife.

In OOTP, when Harry asks Hermione what the Order is, she replies by stating it is a group of special individuals which fought Voldemort and his Death Eaters in the last war.

There is a lot of difference between wanting to fight for the Order and capable of fighting for the Order............:)

7. EmbroElite

EmbroElite Disappeared DLP Supporter

Doesn't it state in book five that Molly wasn't part of the original order? I think it was when she was arguing with Sirius about how much Harry should be told. Or I might just be citing fanon, I just don't know with alot of this stuff anymore.

8. Rache

Rache Headmaster

While Molly means well, she is a bossy woman who gets things done by shouting and bullying people. I have no problems with the canon Molly, except when she accuses Sirius of doing nothing and seeing Harry as a replacement for James.

For once, I agree with Ron about his dialogue in the DH about Voldemort falling down dead when the entire Order hides......:)

Dumbledore was desperate for members in his order, since most of the scions and heads of light families were previously wiped out by the death eaters in the first war.

Just coz she is in the order and Sirius was a wanted fugitive, her words were uncalled for as she was pretty much useless anyway. Atleast Sirius died a hero. Except for duelling Bellatrix in DH(a fact that freaking hilarious- A house wife killing the most feared DE of VOldemort).

9. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Y'all need to chill the fuck out.

10. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Lol, and Mundungus Fletcher was powerful and talented? Dumbledore was willing to accept anyone that he knew to by loyal and willing to fight. Also, who gives a crap what Hermione thought about the Order. She was a naive young girl, so of course she saw it as the good guy's equivalent of the Death Eaters.

11. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

No. She simply states that it is a 'secret society' who fought Voldemort 'last time'. Nothing about specialties or skill implied, simply that it was secret, and that Dumbledore founded it.

Also, what awinarock said.

12. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Molly, the fat housewife, killed Bellatrix Lestrange in a duel. She is a powerful witch.

13. Mibu

Mibu First Year

I hope I'm not the only one that felt cheated by this. Three first-year students were able to get past enchantments meant to keep out a dark wizard, and I was fine with that. I was even fine with a kid shoving a sword up a 50-foot basilisk's mouth; Bellatrix Lestrange losing a duel to Molly Weasley though? I've never felt more disappointed and ripped-off in the Harry Potter series.

I don't think Molly Weasley was a powerful witch; I think JKR just did what she does best: write about unbelievable shit and make a lot of money from it.

14. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fletcher was neither loyal nor willing to fight. What he was, was useful. He was a criminal, a thief and a scoundrel. He had eyes and ears in the lower elements of society, and that was where his worth came from. Molly Weasley's greatest contribution to the war effort(prior to Rowling's Mama Bear can do anything to protect her CHILDREN), was spawning a small army loyal to Dumbledore and Harry Potter.

15. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've always looked at it like this: Molly and Arthur were just starting their families when the Voldemort came around the first time, and though Molly's brothers were heavily involved in the war effort, she was raising, what... four, five kids at the point Harry's parents were murdered? It stands to reason that she wouldn't be in the Order; though she would support them, she and Arthur certainly wouldn't be warriors.

The second time around, however, they have an invested interest. Arthur is all ears in the Ministry at this point, and would make a valuable asset as he is loyal and pro-Muggle, so I could certainly see Dumbledore coming to the Burrow with the intent to recruit Arthur. Molly is probably present during Dumbledore's appeal for Arthur to join, and she becomes embroiled in it all because of his participation. Bill is also involved.

A lot of people make this strange assumption that the Order of the Phoenix is a group of vigilantes actively fighting against Voldemort's Death Eaters. While this is true to some extent, especially during the First War, the vast majority of the Order probably weren't warriors by any stretch: for example, Diggle, Fletcher, Lupin, Sirius, or even Arthur, who is only injured when he is on watch.

TL;DR: She's not in the Order as far as I'm concerned, even in Canon. She's just there because her family is in the Order and there's no way she's not participating when they are involved.

16. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Here we have Mr Weasley talking as though he was in the order the last time. If he was then it is reasonable to assume that so too was Molly.

As for her relative merits as a member, well she whooped Bellatrix's ass, and Bellatrix is usually pointed out as pretty handy with a wand. So she can't be a bad fighter. She also single-handedly fed half the members for a summer, can't discount that effort.

I also feel like addressing some of the retardedness here.

Firstly, she's a mother, they are all bossy and get things done by shouting, however only when dealing with her children; and it is certainly not bullying.

Secondly, you say you don't have a problem with her in the sentence after you criticise her, make your mind up man.

Thirdly, when does she accuse Sirius of doing nothing? In fact she does the opposite and suggests that he will do too much and get himself caught.

Dude, please stop with all the full stops. There's only meant to be one at the end of a sentence. Unless you have an ellipses, in which case there are three, not two, not seven, three. All you do with this many is make my eyes bleed.

When exactly does it ever say that Dumbledore wants scions of light families in the order. He took anyone who wanted in. Was Remus Lupin a scion of a light family? Was Peter Pettigrew? They were both in the order.

How, in the fuck, is Sirius getting killed by Bellatrix better than Molly killing Bellatrix? How does that make him more useful? Seriously, I want to know what logic you are using here, because I'm pretty sure it didn't originate on this planet.

17. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

These questions were semi-answered in canon. The quote is Lupin, speaking to Molly after her Boggart incident:

1. Molly wasn't part of the Order at the rough time the photo was taken. She might have joined later, but I prefer to think not; if she had joined while the First War was still going on, I don't think Lupin would have so pointedly mentioned her ignorance about the position of the OotP in that war.

2. Lupin says they were outnumbered twenty to one, and bleeding members. The idea of the OotP being a super selective group of wizarding ninjas is absurd, IMO. If a wizard was a) of age, b) capable of understanding the risks, and c) believed to be trustworthy, and d) and dedicated to the cause, Dumbledore would have let them join.

There's any number of reasons why Molly might not have been an Order member that first time that don't invoke her alleged inferiority as a wizard (and indeed, as a human being). The family reason was already mentioned earlier. If Arthur was in the Order back then, as suggested by Bill Door's quote, Molly might have stayed out of it to take care of the children.

18. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

To quote mightygodking, it was a Ripley!InAliens moment. You can't doubt the power of a Ripley!InAliens moment. It's quite simple.

19. Portus

Portus Heir

You can GTFO. Seriously. I don't know what language you misread the books in, but it certainly wasn't the language I read them in. Sirius didn't die a 'hero,' he died like most people in a war - senselessly, unexpectedly, and needlessly. He also died because of arrogance, which is certainly fitting. Molly was ten times the hero Sirius was, and every bit as brave, and if you cannot fathom why that might be, I again invite you to Get The Fuck Out. Just because someone gets killed in a war/revolt/whatever does NOT automatically make the dead person a hero. [off topic, this is the same stupid, pandering lip-service given to US soldiers every fucking day]

And what in the hell does your second paragraph even mean? I have no idea, but the clues of (1) joined ten minutes ago, (2) godawful grammar, and (3) demonstrated retardedness make me lament my inability to ban stupid fucknuts like you.