1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Weathering With You - Makoto Shinkai's new film

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Miner, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Miner

Miner Order Member

2. Miner

Miner Order Member

3. Miner

Miner Order Member

Second trailer is out. The Radwimps music is gonna get to me again.

4. Miner

Miner Order Member

Oh my fuck.

Shinkai really isn't fixing what isn't broken eh?

5. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

Apparently Shinkai thinks it might be controversial.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...film-that-might-divide-the-audiences-opinions

He simultaneously says he wants to play it safe so the movie doesn't flop, and that he's making a story that doesn't follow an easy/classic plot. Not sure what to make of that.

6. Sowaka

Sowaka Second Year

I went to see it today. My first and strongest impression - it's Shinkai. You know him, you know what you want from him and you're getting it. Really good overall.

Normally I'd post details in a spoiler, but it seems it'll take quite some time for the movie to be released overseas, so I don't want to just put up a spoiler box that could lessen the enjoyment of the movie for others. Instead, I'll adress what Shinkai said in the interview above in a very general manner.

Simply put, yes, at the end of the movie, a question remains - is it really okay how things went and that they ended up like this? The movie comments on it in roundabout ways, but it's hard to say it got fully adressed. I can see it being divisive.

I would say though, that both the setup and the plot can be called "classic" in a way. Basically, when reveals come, they're not some huge, completely surprising, earth-shattering twists.

The movie is set in Tokyo and includes a lot of product placement (websites, noodles, various drinks etc.). One can be rather cynical about this, some people on the Japanese internet already are, but I viewed it mostly positively. It gave the movie a sense of realness, one that helps to support the story. It did include one element that really surpised me, together with one scene - these are already divisive.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing reactions when it comes out overseas.

7. Miner

Miner Order Member

I'm glad to hear that it's not a disappointment at least. I've watched all the trailers and they've brought my hopes up quite a bit. It looks amazing and I'm just glad to have something to look forward to after the KyoAni tragedy.

8. Sowaka

Sowaka Second Year

The KyoAni thing is indescribably horrible.

I still don't know how to react to it. KyoAni is one of my favorite studios, their (and Takeda Ayano's) Hibike! Euphonium my favorite series. Relatively recently I got a chance to visit Kyoto, so I took time to wander around areas relevant to KyoAni. It all was the very picture of peaceful, not a place where something like that could happen. Yet it did.

9. Miner

Miner Order Member

I loved Violet Evergarden (obviously) and Hibike! ranks highly as well. I really wish there was more I could do, but all I managed was a small donation and some tributes.