1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Web Fiction Recommendations

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Bramastra, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thirded.

Seriously though, that actually sounds like a really good idea to me. Something that DLP should be able to accomplish as well.

Not sticking my hand up to run it though. :p

2. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Shouldn't be that hard... start with a simple poll; does anybody here want to see this happen, and/or would they be willing to contribute a few thousand words here and there to building a little universe with some fellow DLP talent?

My next question being, how does one do a poll? I'm in my thirties; I'm computer illiterate.

However, if there is some interest, I'm completely in, and willing to take a leadership role with it.

3. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Sounds interesting. I don't think I've written anything for DLP before (though one of my stories did manage to get into the Library) but I'm willing try my hand.

4. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

While not on the same quality as Wildbow's work, I enjoy Drew Hayes' work about a super hero training school.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

A shared universe would be fun. I'm envisioning it as almost like a Skyrim sort of thing, except as written fiction instead of a game, and all our characters are in there together doing their own quests and whatnot but existing within the same world.

Probably means that we'd want to avoid stories involving massive world changing events, b/c it would screw with everyone else, but yeah. Loads of fun.

Whoever decides to run with it should probably get input on the world building from the forum-at-large, just to make sure it's a good playground for people to write in. Needs rules, but not rules that are too tight, etc.

6. apoc

apoc The Once and Ginger King DLP Supporter

There's got to be some consistency in theme or setting though. I mean most of what we've talked about in here seems to be superhero stuff so is that what we're going for? Or are we looking at a more broad setting that we can fit a lot of different types of stories into? Purely fictional world, straight up modern, or comics style where we cut and paste cities and nations as needed?

I'd be happy to contribute since this sort of thing is much more what I like to write rather than straight fanfiction, but we need to establish some ground rules first and questions like these need to be asked and answered.

7. Ched

I'd assume we'd want a more broad setting that can fit different kinds of stories. Probably a fantasy world, but doesn't have to be. A lot of people will probably write the standard type characters, such as (1) magical student in town, (2) apprentice magic person, (3) badass magical wanderer, etc. But a good setting would also offer the ability to write something like (1) the thief who steals magical items but doesn't use them himself, and therefore knows how to combat magic, (2) the Warrior who might use only one kind of magic but otherwise uses traditional weaponry, (3) the shopkeeper who is just trying to stay afloat with all this bullshit magic in his town, (4) the family man trying to hide the fact that his child has some particular ability, etc.

I'm participating in something slightly similar on another forum, but that's meant to be a novel with a lot of different POVs where each contributing author writes an individual chapter with a POV character of their own creation.

Anyway. If I was doing it I'd start with two things. The cities and basics of worldbuildings and the magic system (which I think should have a clear cost, to prevent people writing OP characters)

Pick a number/type of cities to have.

1-2 'Big' Capital Cities - If you go with one, make it the center of civilization. If you pick two, put them in competition somehow. Need to have sub-areas of these cities too, like the expensive part, the black market part, etc.

5-6 Cities - Regular sized cities, make them specialized somehow. The frontier city as the last stop before wilderness. The coastal town. The moving city that roams. Etc. Give each city 2-3 specific things to set it apart, at least 1 good and 1 bad.

I'd leave any smaller outposts and/or towns up in the air. If an author has need of a small town at a crossroads, or an outpost beyond civilization, they can add it in themselves.

Magic OR Technology OR whatever else fits the genre that people run with

I think it needs a clear cost, unlike Harry Potter, to make it easier for everyone to play in the same world. Maybe some characters are powerful magic users, but the more powerful you are provides some other kind of downside. Weaker mages avoid the downsides but can't do as much with magic. Maybe there's different kinds of magic with different kinds of downsides, and many only pick one to study.

After that, once the basics of the world are set (will depend on genre) you can probably run with it. Set a few locations (cities), set some basic rules (magic rules for downsides, advantages, etc.), set some basic rules about what exists in the world. Then let authors add things as they need them, but maybe have a thread where they can confirm it 'fits' before adding it. Need to add a new runic system of magic? Just write a quick paragraph to describe how it will fit in without becoming OP, then write your story.

Maybe also add something mysterious that none of us know what it is really yet. Maybe there are some... hell I don't know, odd-looking orange crystals that people find sometimes, but no one knows WTF they are and no one cares. It's just a thing that exists, made interesting to readers (not most characters) b/c it's a mystery.

8. LittleChicago

I personally like the idea of a 'mixed' world, like Avatar TLA, or even our earth a century or two ago, where different people live in different ways, from cities on down (or up, depending on POV) to nomadic subsistence.

But I think the real first question is figuring our how many people would actually be interested in participating. I think to make it really work, we'd need 3-6 authors at the least.

I see the whole project working a bit like GRRM's Wild Cards, with one editor overseeing things, making sure no one breaks the rules or short-circuits anyone else's ideas, but otherwise each writer going crazy.

9. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Maybe start a group or something and move this stuff there? That way we can keep getting web fic recs. I personally am definitely going to go look at some of these, but I also do like the ideas you guys are throwing out. It's almost like a web version of the anthology but more intricately tied.

That said, a group is really the best way to go with organization for a start. That way you can spitball about the world, the website, who's doing what and all the things needed to start a successful web-fiction series.

10. LittleChicago

Done. The Shared Universe Project is now active, no invites needed. Let's stop the derail.

11. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

For anyone looking for another superhero serial there's brennus its about a new superhero who's basically a tinker

12. Ched

Here's a link, because LC sucks.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm always down for world building, even if I never write anything so count me in.

14. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Im not the best at writing but I'd like to contribute to this

Edit: now that I think about it that would be bad

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015