1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Week 1: Philosopher's Stone, Ch. 1 - 9

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by Skeletaure, Oct 31, 2016.

1. LiquidThought

LiquidThought Squib

High Score:
    Always wondered how the Dursleys got back from Hut-on-the-Rocks. Probably had to take a swim :)

2. torrent56

torrent56 Second Year

High Score:
    Yes, true. Unfortunately Harmonians just went around twisting everything in canon to bash Ron and making the other two to be perfect people, including claiming that Harry actually supported SPEW in his heart. They also get rather angry when someone exposed their lies, sigh…
    I think Hermione though despite her interference and bossiness really isn’t incompetent or unhelpful here, it was she who did the Alohomora charm that helped them to escape Filch but Neville really was a huge hindrance. I agree with everything being said here though.
    I think it’s just because the staff at Hogwarts did not want the secret of how students are sorted leaked out to new students which would make the sorting less effective, meaning it wasn’t included in Hogwarts: A History.

3. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

She wouldn't have missed if he ducked his head, so no, didn't miss on purpose. She was intentionally trying to hit him with it. She only missed because he ducked his head.

4. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

I've found myself some time (being ill has some advantages) and my wonderful new illustrated versions have just arrived so I'm going to join you guys in this - 4 weeks late.

My first observation is how much better J.K Rowling's writing is than I remember it. There's an elegant simplicity that I never noticed as a kid.

The second thing I noticed is that in the opening scene the Dursleys seem genuinely happy - I wonder if it would have stayed like that if Harry remained that-cousin-Dudley-knew-he-had-but-had-never-met.

There seems to be a lot of wizards around near where Vernon works ~seven wizards who Vernon notices - is Surrey a wizard in hotspot of something? Also, "a huddle of weirdos"

Some people have commented on Petunia's statement that Harry is a nasty common name - If I remember right the very beginning of PS would be '81 which is three years before Prince Harry was born. Prior to that Harry was mostly an American name. Still a nice stealth pun by Rowling.

...Dumbledore's wearing high-heeled buckled boots. Nice.

"'You flatter me,' said Dumbledore calmly. "Voldemort had powers I will never have.'" That's an interesting sentence. I wonder what those powers could be, especially given McGonagall's suggestion that Dumbledore could have the powers if he wanted but is too noble to take them...

5. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

I think it's pretty obvious they talk about fucked up dark magic like possesion, killing curse, fiendfyre etc.