1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Week 18- Two Towers Recap

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by Shouldabeenadog, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

@Nazgoose

Themes:
    So the two Towers wraps with Sam's failure contrasting against the Company's success in Rohan. And we see how Frodo's trust in Gollum was useful, to a point, and then it fails him when he needs it the most. Contrast with Gimli and Legolas who start the fellowship trusting each other about the same amount as Frodo and Gollum, and by the end here have completed their friendship arc and are willing to go into each other's happy place even if they find it creepy.
    The theme I feel for Two Towers is trust and distrust. We have two perfect examples of this. We have Wormtongue. All of him. We have Gollum, all of Him. So much of this is exploring the importance of trust, and how it can be squandered and how it can be done for great benefit. The benefit of distrust is shown in Sam, who keeps an eye on Gollum and probably keeps them safe from some other nasty fate, and gets them all the way to Cirith Ungol. The benefit of trust is shown with Legolas and Gimli, and Theoden and Gandalf (getting the remnants of the Rohirrim and Erkenbrand). The drawbacks of distrust are shown with Saruman. He distrusted the strength of Men to stand against Sauron, and in so doing became an enemy. The drawbacks of trust are painfully painted with Frodo. We can see it coming, and still are pained to see it happen.
    What themes did you see?

Title:
    I feel like there is something here about the two towers, Minas Morgul with Frodo and Sam and Orthanc with the Company. but Orthanc dominates so much of the story for book 1, while Minas Morgul only really contributes at the final end of book 2.
    Instead I want to see Two Towers as people. Treebeard and Faramir are two giants to their respective hobbits, and both show similar levels of kindness and wisdom, as well as skill at war. I like this better as the two towers explanation, to give them the credit they deserve, and not two physical towers, one of which gets ignored in less space than is spent on describing Ithilen. I think it also fits within the theme of Trust, as both are trusted by the hobbits, and rewarded for it.

Technicals:
    The split in the chapters between the two arcs does work well, but I would have liked it interwoven. One of the good things of Fellowship was the constant forward momentum. Considering how hard the drop off was between book 1 and 2 of Towers, I personally felt my interest flag out hard. I just couldn't maintain my interest. I did like however how much we didn't get to know what was going on with Frodo, and truly empathized with Legolas and the rest of the Company in their concern for Frodo and Sam, and just not knowing.
    I think it would have been well to jump to Frodo and Sam just before we get Merry and Pippin's flashback. Do a few chapters with them, and maybe a few concerned comments towards the end about "wonder how Merry and Pippin are doing, i'm sure they are fine with Boromir and the rest of the Company." Before jumping straight into their capture. And from there interweaving on a one-one chapter or two-two chapter setup.

Favorite:
    My favorite part of Two Towers is a tight split. Its either Sneaking or Gimli and Legolas cementing their friendship by promising to go with each other exploring. Both are great character moments, both are great culminations of characterization, and I just can't pick.
    What was your favorite?