1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Week 23 Chapters 9 and 10

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by Shouldabeenadog, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Chapter 9
    I was pleased to see that the empty houses that Pippin saw as he ascended the city were again commented again by Legolas, pointing out the "dead houses".
    Prince Imrahil, aka, THE BEST MAN, its gone beyond meme and started becoming silly how much attention is paid to this guy. On the one hand, yes, blood of elves enough to get Legolas to bow, but on the other hand, this character is made of so much cardboard he's recyclable.
    The contrast between the Last Debate and the Council of Elrond is stark. While we only have Men and elves and a wizard, and are lacking the dwarves, it is notable to me how Aragorn leads and the rest follow, in contrast to the Council where Elrond had to drag many by their ears.

Chapter 10
    Pippin, Prince of the Halflings, Rides to Mordor!
    so the army crosses to osgiliath, hits the crossroads, and goes north, and now has 100 miles to go? If they are hurrying that's going to take them at least several days.
    Black Numenorians? The mouth of sauron is apparently one such Man who forsake his people "enamoured for evil knowledge". and apparently one set to inherit Orthanc and be suzerein of gondor and rohan.
    It is always nice to see when the rules of messengers are respected, and even though Gandalf robs him, the messenger is unharmed. I feel there is some correlation between Bilbo as a robber and Gandalf taking back the tools of Frodo.

2. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Chapter 9: The Last Debate
    • Gimli and Legolas casually going "ah yes this is how we'll improve this city once Aragorn moves in" was quite fun
    • Also liked their reunion with Merry and Pippin, the summary of the ride with the dead host was just enough details without it feeling like a full on flashback which I appreciated
    • Idk if it's because I'm hungry while I read this, but the council scene kinda dragged for me. Still there's some good stuff in there, especially Gandalf's bit about "there'll be other evils but they'll be others to deal with them, this one is ours and that's enough".
    Chapter 10: The Black Gate Opens
    • Merry getting left behind caught me flatfooted. Makes total sense given what he just survived, but I'd let my memories of the movies very much override my memories of the book.
    • I really like the final note before they get there where Aragorn gives another task that isn't assaulting the Black Gate to those that can't bring themselves to go through with it. I think it does a great job of showing just how insane this is, and makes them going through with it on the faintest of hopes that it might distract Sauron enough for Frodo to slip by that much more meaningful.
    • Hmm the Black Gates being "thrown open" sits poorly with me. Something that big being thrown open just doesn't sit right, and it's making me wonder if I let my memories of the movies color my reading of the descriptions in the book.
    • The chat with the messenger was good. I found it interesting that folks were once again convinced Gandalf would betray them somehow (first time being Saruman). Makes it clear most are aware he's very much removed from them, but also I don't entirely get it? Like the first time made some sort of sense if you were taken in by Saruman's voice, but this one was weird to me. Why would Gandalf agree to join Sauron and be his lieutenant in Isengard?
    • Huh, battle starts without Gandalf clarifying for everyone that Sauron definitely doesn't have the Ring.