1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Weres Harry? by DobbyElfLord - K+

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Jigokuno, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

Title: Weres Harry?
    Author: DobbyElfLord
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Friendship
    Library Category: Humor
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Dark curses don't play nice- not even with each other. When nine year-old Harry is bitten by a werewolf, the horcrux fights back. The result could only happen to Harry Potter. No longer a one-shot
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8106168/1/Weres_Harry

Okay I'm going to try again. I searched for Weres Harry? and it has not been posted up. Once again this is a humorous read and I particularly like the authors characterization of Dobby. The author has never hinted at slash so no one has to get up in arms over this humor fic. The author from what I've seen of his thread on this forum is well liked and so are his stories. So that means even if I post one of his stories up here there is a possibility it won't be immediately dismissed because it has my name near it.

I give it a 4/5. It wasn't too memorable of a fic but if you just want a nice peaceful read that will make you laugh then this is a nice fic to try out. The way he becomes a animagus werewolf isn't very believable but hey its meant to be funny not serious.

Once again it has no slash and I am not the author nor am I in anyway associated with this story aside from having read it so no reason to run for the hills or be up in arms guys.

2. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Wow please stop being so melodramatic.

3. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

Its not melodrama if its true. I voted and gave it a 4/5. I'm guessing your the second vote and gave it a 2/5. Hence making my point that pretty much anything associated with me is blacklisted even if it comes from a good well known author. No reason was stated for why it was given a 2/5 either. Probably wasn't even read just saw my name attached and gave it a poor review. It's pretty absurd which is why I rarely even post anymore even though I've been keeping up to date on stories here.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be fair, your avatar and sig really don't help. I'd of forgotten long ago if you hadn't kept that self-demeaning avatar. It's a vivid reminder of just how pathetic and hilarious that thread was.

I do agree with you though, no story should be judged by the person who put it up for review. Because of this, I will read it now and come back with a a serious rating.

5. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did you try searching for "Where's Harry" by any chance?

6. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

I didn't vote at all and I don't even have any idea who you are.

Though, I have read this story in the past and I thought it was pretty shitty. I didn't vote because I didn't feel like writing anything about it right now.

So no, it has nothing to do with you, and it IS melodrama.

7. Innomine

High Score:
    It's actually Weres Harry lol. I thought the same thing, but if you read the summary, it involves a werewolf, thus the pun. :p

And since I was bored, I went and read the thread I was talking about before. If anyone wants context of why Jigokuno is being melodramatic, go ahead and read this.

8. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

You DO have a slight point. I didn't have to keep the avatar or the sig. I should have realized people judge more on appearance rather than merit. It actually did sorta occur to me I just didn't care because I don't post stories just review and comments. It just hadn't occurred to me that people would judge other peoples stories off of there association with me. I'm not sure if people realize I've read pretty much every HP and Dresden fic on DLP as well as Shezza's Naruto story. I feel like I have cooties every time I post on here and everyone who wants to be a part of the in crowd jumps away as fast as possible so as not to be seen associating with the controversial kid. It would be considered normal if this was a forum where kids posted instead of the adults that most people on here are.

You should have let him figure it out himself. He didn't even check the story before posting.

Even looking back on it, that thread was a fail for Giovanni. I was nothing but nice to him during the entire time although definitely my usual sarcastic self and he just came off as talking trash to someone who wasn't even participating.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  9. Innomine

High Score:
    No, most people just remember others by their avatars, and your avatar reminds people of that time when you pissed a lot of people off. I'm not gonna touch the rest of what you're trying to assert. But I would say that you are confusing the word 'controversial' with the word 'stupid'.

Lets not start this shit again ok? It clearly didn't work in Gio's thread, so there's no reason to try again here in For Review.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Writing is very flat and conversation is very stilted. Almost to the point of being too irritating to read. Chapter 1 included. For example, at one point it's obvious that we're supposed to feel like Dumbledore is concerned, but when the only indication that he is concerned is flat out saying "Dumbledore looked concerned" it's not very effective. Likewise conversations don't flow naturally at all. Then of course a lot of things just feel OOC (for characters who shouldn't be OOC) and don't make sense.

The premise isn't too bad though, and my curiosity at where the author was going with this is the only thing that kept me reading. If you didn't gather it from the rest of the posts in this thread:
    Harry gets bitten by a werewolf as a child of approximately nine, but due to the Horcrux the curse doesn't take hold properly. Instead he appears to have the ability to control his werewolf aspects in a manner greater than what Wolfsbane would allow. He can transform when it isn't the full moon and it acts more like a badass Animagus than anything else. The story proper skips ahead and starts in Third Year, presumably to get to the bits with Lupin.
    Chapter 1 just... bugs me on several levels. I think it's so irritating because there is potential here but nothing good is being done with it.

I want to give this a 3/5 based on the premise, but I can't bring myself to do it. Everything else about it just doesn't add up.

One saving grace of the story is that it does at least move at a reasonable pace. Chapter 1 alone gets through the story setup and most of Harry's third year... though is probably because Chapter 1 was apparently meant to be a stand-alone one shot when it was written.

...Wait a second, Chapter 2 appears to go back to the start of the story. Is the rest of this story just re-telling Chapter 1 in more detail to flesh it out? Yeah, Chapter 1 wasn't good enough for me to want to keep reading.

2.5/5, rounded down to 2.

Edit: OP, stop whining and acting persecuted. It is not helping you. Get over whatever it was and move on.

11. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Should have stayed a one-shot. Even the first chapter wasn't great, but after that it's just a bland story with incredibly stiff dialogue. Now that it's finally to the point where it can fully diverge the plot will probably get significantly less boring, but I see no reason to expect the writing to get any better.

12. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The story skips erratically around perspectives, beginning in third year as Lupin, bounding back to Harry at nine, and then Harry beginning Hogwarts.

I can tolerate a lot of shit, but Hermione's forced lack of contractions made her speech too painful to endure. Funny what sticks out; a lot of other problems were there, but only that one truly bothered me.

If not for the dialogue, I'd probably rate this around 2/5 and suggest it belong in the Almost Recs thread.

13. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

As a werewolf fan-ish person, I read this story, hoping to see something decent from DobbyElfLorf. The sniper was fun, altered destinies were decent, and this...

I've read it when it was still a one-shot.

It is in the top four werewolf related Harry Potter fics, but probably only because there are almost none of those.

The idea of Lupin chasing Harry around did elicit a few laughs out of me, I admit. All in all, I filed it into 'readable' and gave it a personal 3/5 - a good short story that has nothing much of value, but doesn't need to have.

The sequel was mentioned so, I figured why not and added a subscription.

And it was all downhill from there.
    For me it was like Altered Destinies all over again - Altered Destinies was good, readable and fun, not too serious, but enjoyable. Then, along came a sequel that started having senseless werewolf pack attacks, yeti's and all the crazy shit that was unnecessary.

This story, after the one-shot, became a pile of unnecessary stuff. Daphne's father is a coach, Harry is a crazy were-something and...
    This is not how Rowling's werewolves work.
    Why does one need to turn a silly one-shot in a bad story, I don't know.

I'd give 2.5/5, but as I am biased towards werewolves, I'll try to be reasonable and just give this thing 2/5 it deserves.

tl;dr The story might have worked as a one-shot. Maybe.

14. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

The reviews for this story were at the very least fair and based on the story instead of the person posting the story. I think perhaps some of the humor stories I post from now on should be posted in Almost Recommended like someone mentioned earlier since I clearly have lower standards when it comes to laughing over a story. I'll make sure next time to post a serious fic here in the review board next time since I believe my standards for those types of stories are a lot higher. Like I said though I'm still puzzled about how Fantastic Elves got such good reviews yet both the stories I posted which are of similar quality fell so flat. Oh well.

15. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I tried getting into this a few times but something always came up and after reading pieces and pieces of it I couldn't really got into it. I think this's the only somewhat readable werewolfHarry story that I can remember, but still in my opinion it isn't good enough to be a really worthwhile read, maybe only as a guilty pleasure.

On another note people may or may not like a story but there is no need to get defensive about it. It's not you that's receiving the criticism but the author who wrote it.

16. KingRoger

KingRoger Second Year

It isn't wise to assume that just because you felt they were of the same standard, that they actually were. That's what the review board is for: people with different opinions creating an average. Don't take people disagreeing with you as a personal attack.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good words. Fantastic Elves was rated well because it has no illusions of being anything other than a light hearted slightly crackfic. This was decent as a oneshot, though I don't think it was up to Dobby's usual standard, but on the whole I just don't think it's worth getting in to the library.

3/5 from me.

18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... How did it not? You wouldn't accept dating advice from someone who was accused of raping children, even if he had himself castrated to prevent it form happening in the future, would you?

Also, does anyone else think its really fucking odd that gingersnapo (Or whatever the hell his name is) keeps giving thumbs to posts giving low ball ratings and saying it sucks even though he recced it in the first place?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  19. Innomine

High Score:
    It's part of his persecution complex, it's how he justifies to himself that he is being treated unfairly. As far as he is concerned, he's just trying to put up a story for review, but for no reason everyone just attacks him personally. This way he can later point to the thumbs on the good reviews and feel better.

I thought this quote off the wikipedia page for a persecution complex was pretty much perfect for the situation.

And this one does a good job at explaining why it's most likely pointless to try and explain to him why we think he's a fucking retard.

20. KingRoger

KingRoger Second Year

Alright, I've read 7 chapters so far, and i'm not convinced.
    While the story (or at least, the idea of the story) is good, the constant changes in perspectives lacks and fluidity, and it's quite jarring to read. Random notes about characters get thrown in for no apparent reason, like the author just thought of it and threw it in for the sake of it, or as a failed attempt at humor.
    All in all, interesting premise, poor excecution. 2/5.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012