1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Westworld

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Celestin

Celestin Master of Death

With the third park revealed, my three other parks I would include.

1) MedievalWorld.

A difference from the film is that, I wouldn't have it happen in "Europe". Instead I would go with CrusadersWorld setting to have two cultures to crash and explore.

2) AncientWorld.

As the above, I would add another culture to RomanWorld from the film and instead have it as PharaonsWorld in Egypt when Rome had it conquered. Alternatively, Alexander's time in Persia would work pretty well to.

3) FantasyWorld.

Not necessary GoT, as tempting as it probably is for people at HBO. Rather closer to LotR and D&D. Magic would be tricky to include and it's a necessary aspect if this kind of world were to be popular with guests.

Other fantasy world could be a SuperheroWorld. Like with magic, superpowers would be hard to do.

In both cases it would be quite a challenge to make these worlds fit tonally with the rest of the series. Which, I suppose, could be fun for the writers if they wanted to do them.

2. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

The contrast between Rajworld and Westworld was quite amazing, though. I felt vaguely uneasy upon seeing Rajworld. The servile nature of the hosts, the colonial grandeur... It's almost comforting to be back in Westworld (mentally, that is) because the hosts aren't programmed to be servile. They're human. They're like NPCs. The hosts in Rajworld seemed to blend into the background. All they exist to do is to serve.

As it is, all Delos seems to be serving up are different power fantasies couched in racism and oppression. The contrast between savage and genteel is brought out pretty well by looking at Westworld and Rajworld, and the show, for some odd reason, really hammered it home.

Also, dammit, my OTP is changing to Maeve/Lee. Their story is probably the most interesting right now. Lee’s character seemed like an afterthought in the first season. He’s brilliant in the second one.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  3. Celestin

Celestin Master of Death

That was Lisa Joy's directional debut? They definitely should give her more episodes in the next season. If there is one. The rating are about the same as the last season and even a little lower. The lack of additional viewers between season suggest it's not another GoT and the show's budged it too big to keep it as a prestige series.

I'm not entirely convinced about this humans as hosts direction. It's done a lot better than I would expect and I'm not even going to question the specifics of how it's achieved, but just like with a full cloning of a person, it's not the sort of immortality I would expect egocentric billionaire to invest in.

4. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

Yeah. I was quite pleasantly surprised. Vanity fair has a nice piece on the references to TV shows and movies in this episode.

I got the impression that Jim Delos wasn't exactly expecting himself to be cloned. And that Bill was looking at him like a mere object, in a way. William's apathy towards his father-in-law has been demonstrated quite aptly in the second episode. I saw it as a continuation of the same. He doesn't really care much about his father-in-law, he's just curious about how far the tech can be taken. Maybe in the beginning he did care, but as the various meetings keep coming, he seems to become more and more, well, clinical is the best way I can describe it. It was happenstance that Jim Delos was the subject at the end. Or so I felt.

On that tone, though. who do you think Bernard's holding in that red ball of his? My money's on Arnold himself. And Elsie's back! Damn, I was really sad to see her go in season one. Glad to see her again. William's progression seemed to reach a peak, in a way. When Lawrence's daughter said that William had to look back to reach his objective, it seemed as if the character might end up taking a turn. I suppose we're going to see him gradually regain his humanity, possibly hastened by the entry of his daughter.

In addition, is it just me, or is this entire series predicated on a series of parent-daughter relationships now? Dolores is a daughter, Maeve has a daughter, William has a daughter, Lawrence has a daughter, and these relationships are crucial to the plot. Turning to show from a many-layered mystery (in season one) to a reflection on relationships in season two was a good decision, imo. Allows for better character buildup.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    GOT was based on an established, already hugely popular IP and has this novel shtick, "we kill characters you love and you won't be warned". Now people are looking out for this, it's not a surprise.

Secondly, people guessed half the twists in Westworld before the season even hinted at them. I mean, the first page of this thread has people saying that one of the humans will turn out to be a host. GoT was also unique in that it focused on so many characters and political storylines and WW is really, just a polished take on an old trope. So, no real surprises within its genre and while it's technically based on another IP, I don't think anyone was clamoring for a series adaptation of an obscure 70s sci-fi flick.

I can't bring myself to watch the last two episodes. I dunno, I just don't feel drawn to WW. I don't care about it. The only character I care about is William (past William, not even the MiB). Everyone else is just meh.

Another thing is that I think WW is taking its sweet ass time to the point where it feels like a chore to watch it. Episodes are 55mins. I couldn't fucking tell you what happened in 2x02. Like, I think Dolores and Meave met for a minute...

And also, character motivations are vague to the point of nonexistence. I know fuck all about what nebulous "game" the MiB plays. His maze in S1 was a disappointment: his whole journey was vague monologues about "we must go deeper" interwoven with scenes of him shooting hosts from the hip.

WW bores me, is what I'm saying. I don't see why each episode couldn't be 15 minutes shorter and tighter. At some point I really don't need another scene of Jeffrey Wright's Kristen Stewart impression as he says something philosophically profound to Dolores. What is real? Matrix took 2 hours to give its take on that. WW is 14 hours in and still undecided.

Like, what is Dolores doing? Where is MiB going this time? Why does he need Lawrence again? Is Ford alive or dead? What secret does Peter Abernathy hold? They're stretching what they have so much that it becomes paper thin.

Or maybe I'm just not mature enough for this.

6. Celestin

Celestin Master of Death

Bernard is already sort of Arnold and giving him host-Arnold to interact wouldn't add much to his journey in my opinion.

My guess, it's Billy. Having him interact with his older self would give William quite a mirror and a look in the past that Ford hints his adventure is all about. And I would like to have Jimmi Simpson be on the screen with Ed Harris. He really does an excellent job at playing his younger version.

7. Celestin

Celestin Master of Death

Well, the easiest guess was correct this time and it was Ford's red ball. Which is good because having Anthony Hopkins back for few episodes makes this season much better than it was without him, but even he can't make it as good as the first one.

That said, I'm curious what are the producers' plans for the future because the robots' rebellion is already getting overdone and there are suppose to be as much as five more seasons.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Okay, I don't know what this is, but the season has the same problem [with keeping me engaged] as S1. A lot of fuck-all-happens filler. Slooooooooooow. Maybe it needs all the build up, but I still feel like every episode is 15 minutes too long. Episode 4 was kinda fun, then episode 5 was an hour of filler sidetrack fanservice to fulfill the samurai tease from S1 finale and Meave discovering she has god powers, which gee, I think we've known since S1. Did they really need a whole hour to tell us "Mave is host-god"? I don't think so.

Wtf are you doing HBO. It's not as "deep" as you think, so stop pretending to be so intellectual or whatever. "Humans are like hosts, just going in their own loops", yeah, we've never heard it said this way before...

Jonathan made some good stuff on cable, then he got signed to do an HBO show with a huge budget and went full Nolan. Figures.

9. Celestin

Celestin Master of Death

I liked the last episode. It was surprisingly touching and answered plenty of questions, even some that I assumed will be ignored like from where all these images of the maze in the first season came.