1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What additional documents do you keep around while writing?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by BTT, Dec 19, 2019.

1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Recently on Discord there's been requests for writing software that let you keep timelines. I don't really keep timelines myself, but I've thought about drawing rudimentary maps of the places where my scenes are set.

What other things (text/data/drawings) do you kick around when writing?

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I write like a stream of consciousness story line:

For example. If I'm writing a chapter of something I decide on an idea, who the what and the why.

Then I go write out like Here is where this happens.

This is where I show X emotion for X character.

But a bit more than that. But its the underlying premise.

Then as I'm writing I look at it every once in a while to see if I've kept track with what I want to write and what I'm writing. So its like a outline-not-an-outline.

I learned it from working with NMB on a couple things and its been really helpful for me going forward. Prior to that, I only had the document in which I was writing the story.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Most of the stuff is in my head. If I were to write it down: Maps, timelines with dates for the backstory, detailed outline with dates for the actual story, character fact sheets, character graphs with cross relations and development arcs, timetables, lists with potential chapter titles, lists with sentences that sound nice, lists with words that sound nice, pictures for settings that look nice.

I'm sure I forgot something. It's quite extensive.

4. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

I add a lot of extra stuff during the editing process or when I'm stuck somewhere. In those cases I sometimes do character sheets and fall back to the old PoV/goal/setback/consequence scheme for every scene and some notes on mood and setting.

For the most part of the first draft, though, I've got one separate document where I make notes and think about the world and the characters, but it's rather chaotic and there are passages of free-flow association in there when I'm using a timer and just barf ink to get as many ideas as possible. It's barely legible but after some sifting there's usually a nice idea buried somewhere.

5. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I have everything. Maps edited with paint. Historical timelines. Tables breaking down approximate numbers of military forces. Short snippets of backstory that you might find in a wikipedia article or the newspaper about certain aspects of worldbuilding. Character lists. A timeline of future events that will happen in the story, organized by plotline and chapter of occurrence.

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    At the moment, just a chapter plan, which varies from just a brief list of the main points to including choice lines that I've already thought up, to fully written scenes.

7. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    If i'm writing fiction/Fanfiction, not much. I usually have key points plotted out, but I also remember them well enough I don't need it in front of me. If i'm doing fanfiction I might keep the books near me so I can reference depending on the fandom (HP I dont know the details as well so I reference books and wikis a lot. ASOIAF i'm more encyclopedic and don't need to refer to things often). But that's about it. My 'prep' tends to be more me pacing back and forth and mumbling to myself for an hour or longer running the chapter through my head and then sitting down and writing.

Non-Fiction writing is different though, and I'll usually have a mound of references with sticky notes many feet high. When I do need stuff, I think it is still more of a 'hands on' sense. If i'm writing say an article on the American Revolution, I find it easier to have a pile of books I can flip through than I do a pile of online articles (if I use articles i'll print them out). Mostly because with the internet, for me, it is still harder to scroll through to find a specific passage compared to the printer word.

8. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I have a 'notes' chapter in my document library on ffn for my current projects. Other than that, it's just like three wikipedia articles at a time, though I'll look at about ten for each chapter.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Aeon Timeline is a program I've heard recommended in terms of what can authors use to manage their timelines.

10. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

When it’s fanfiction with minimal changes then it’s normally just a detailed plotting document from the top level concepts down to a scene by scene sentence. Then when I write I turn that sentence into a paragraph that I put at the top of the scene in the Gdoc.

Along the spectrum to original/massive AU: I use campfire. So I’ll have my gdoc plan open too, but I’ll use the timeline feature for the plot, the character tabs for character profiles with groups organised by faction. The encyclopaedia for stuff I don’t want to forget as I progress through and a world map if it’s the sort of thing where I need to orient myself.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Campfire?