1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do when you're out of fics to read?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by neopyro, Jun 24, 2010.

1. neopyro

neopyro Third Year

Seriously, I feel like I've read everything in the DLP library. I know it's not true, but it feels like it. I'm down to sifting through the recycle bin and reading fics in the for review section, ignoring the crappy ratings most of them get. I know I can't be the only one here who finds a promising fic in the library, gets halfway through the second chapter before remembering that they've already read it. And it's incomplete. And the author sends Harry to "Merlin house" in chapter six, or sends Harry to an alternate world where he died instead of his parents at the end of the first book etc.

There are just so many fics out there and I think I've been relying on DLP as a crutch to find decent ones and I've forgotten how to search (and get reasonable results).

So, when DLP is feeling stale to you where do you go? What methods do you use to find the gems that eventually make it to the library?

Ficwad has some gems, but there isn't a search that works, and the rating system blows, making crap almost indistinguishable from gold. I've browsed this heavily but I just can't bring myself to wade through the crap anymore.

FF.net has everything from the best to the worst and a decent search. But the volume is so high that actually finding anything good is unlikely. I mean if one of my fics can break 1.9k reviews, anyone's can look good. Everything will look fine until suddenly the Weasley twins start making out.

Fictionalley: Has standards, but everything is organized by author or story title. If you don't already know what you want before you get there it's almost impossible to find it. The best you can manage is a crappy tag search that rarely mentions the pairings, let alone what the story is about.

Sugarquill: Where canon goes to die. It has a few really good authors and the rest is RW/HG fluff. Not my last resort, but close.

So, where do you usually find the good ones? What do you do? I've been mooching off of DLP and haven't submitted a single fic to the review section, and that really needs to change.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Find a person on DLP who goes and does all the sifting, and then makes friends with them in order to get lots of easy recommendations. Also helps when they have tastes that coincide with your own, especially those that might not always be the most appropriate for DLP.

Hi Kens. :p

3. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

There - I prefer that phrasing. You make me sound like a deviant with your phrasing.

And honestly, when I ran out of HP fics to read? I branched out into different fandoms. Oh - I also relied on the favorite lists of authors I like on ff.net and follow up on the stories that the recc.

4. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

5. neopyro

neopyro Third Year

Wow. Already found a good one. Thanks Xantam!

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've never been without something to read. My interests are pretty broad, though.

7. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

I had a similar feeling earlier last week. So I started looking for more. What I found were the TVTropes fanfic recommendation pages. Some good, some bad, some hella ugly. Some of the real gems listed on that site were in the Black Lagoon section.

8. Brown

Brown Third Year

Do as others have suggested here...or you could start writing your own stuff.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I start writing.

/thread

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Pretty much this. I have read tons of stories, some even twice, but when i cant find anything to read I just continue with my own story.

Also, as far as personal taste go, a lot more options up if you are willing to expand your tastes. For example, I like to use harrypotterfanfiction.com when i am looking for stories that are hard to find on ff.net. The way stories are archived there is different, but I really like the way you can search by era. It is very easy to find a founders era story, or a post hogwarts story. However, it is annoying to being able to search by word count, instead having to sort by novel, novella, oneshot, and that is unreliable as fics alter in size. Also, there pairing searching option is quite dubious and not large enough.

11. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

To be honest I either go on stumble upon, homework or I start watching a new tv series on a stream site.

Unfortunately for me only one of those things doesn't rely on the internet and it is the least entertaining.

But I'm also in a pretty big social group at school and am well liked so when I don't have anything to read on a weekend it's no biggy because I can find someone else I know whose bored and invite them over for a movie or a "study "session" and I'm good to go.

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Ohsnap. Filler

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  13. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Is this code for "Friends come over to motor boat my DDs" ?

14. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

No. It's code for "Come over and bring alchohol, pizza, movies and some textbooks and pens to put on the table so we can look like studious little angels when my parents walk up the stairs."

15. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

There are several reliable ways to find good fics:

- Sifting through award competition results
    - Browsing specialized communities on ff.net
    - Searching through the favoured stories and authors of good ff.net writers

Especially the last option brings quick results, because people who are able to write good, novel length HP fics don't torture themselves with fangirl rubbish.

16. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

That is infinitely less cooler than how it went down in my head.

17. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I read books.

18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I usually go check out the Book Recs thread if I really want something to read and fanfiction isn't providing it. If I'm not in the mood for locating those to read, especially when I'm not sure if they'll actually be good (I.e. fit personal tastes) then I re-read something like the Dresden Files. Currently I'm re-reading those and working on the Felix Castor series (a rec from DLP).

Otherwise there's usually something else I'm interested in checking out on the internet. Whether it's reading up on cell phones, monitors, computers, etc. Something I might buy soon.

Or hell, if it's daytime, I just go for a bike ride for a couple hours.

19. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I spend lots of time on reddit.

20. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

I sit on FF.net approx 30 mins a day trying to find new stories. The Almost recommende thread is fucking mint, really recommend that if you havn't alreayd visited it.

When I get desperate I browse harrypotterfanfiction.net, adultfanfiction.net and ficwad.com

Other then that, do something outside of reading fanfictions. I had a hiatus from reading for like a month and when I came back there were loads of good stories just waiting to be read!