1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What drives the Harry Potter fandom's terrible choice in pairings?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Download, Jul 12, 2020.

1. AlexIY

AlexIY First Year

Didn't the dude like kill his entire family just so he could create said Horcruxes, to begin with? Just to frame it on his only remaining family.

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The timeline has the first horcrux coming in before the murder of his muggle relatives. So if you wanted to blame the horcrux for destabilising him and pushing him from "cruel and cunning sociopath" over into "murdering psychopath" then you could write it that way.

3. AlexIY

AlexIY First Year

I guess you could also go with the fact that him splitting his soul did that as well.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Isn't murdering someone part of the horcrux creation process though?

5. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Not only murder but also feel no remorse. You need to be pure scum to create a Horcrux in the first place.

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're straying away from the specifics of canon there, the need for murder is canon. And true and absolute remorse is mentioned as a way to undo a horcrux, but it doesn't indicate that you have to not feel any sort of remorse in order to create one.

I'm looking at it as being possible to write someone as capable of a single murder to achieve immortality, but not quite being a psychopathic killing machine who actively tries to commit genocide.

7. AlexIY

AlexIY First Year

Eh, I feel like even with that logic Voldemort has done some pretty unforgivable things even granted he wasn't in the "right state of mind". I don't think it is logical for Harry to forgive him let alone court him and in order to do that you have to make either Harry OOC or Voldemort OOC which is perfectly possible, just very weird. But if you make Voldemort OOC or even Harry OOC much of the scenarios that took place inside of the story either don't happen or are far different.

All that being said, HagridxDobby is most definitely the strangest pairing I've ever come across. I believe the story was called "A House Elf's Needs" and well... don't read it.

8. Strangebloke

Strangebloke First Year

Voldemort/Harry is a fetish thing. It isn't any more deep than that.

To be clear, yes, I know there are Harry/Tom Riddle stories where he goes back in time or whatever. I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about the fics where Harry gets captured and "reforms" him.

The premise here is ridiculous. Calling Voldemort "wizard hitler" is actually a disservice to Hitler, as Adolf was able to maintain close, non-abusive friendships and relationships. I don't say this to defend hitler, I say to highlight how HOLY FUCK irredeemable Voldemort is by any measure. Voldemort tortures his most loyal subordinates on a regular basis and shows no affection to anyone, ever. Oh yeah, and Harry is a minor and Voldemort is in his sixties. Sure, these fics might take a softer view of Voldie, but they still maintain his overwhelming power advantage over Harry. As I pointed out, in many cases the premise is that Harry is Voldemort's prisoner.

Bluntly, it's written for the same people write LunaXgiant squid. They want to see the hot little body (since harry is hot in their minds) get "dominated." Sure, there might be a lot of scenes where no actual sex occurs, but the reason why people write about this ship is because of this appeal. The ship is "hot" because it plays into certain fetishes people have. Some Snarry fics are like this too, TBH.