1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What is the Fanfiction novel you think is extremely overrated?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Salah, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Vander

Vander First Year

I think that might just be a worse ending than Unsung Hero. That fact that he did it to save Draco fucking Malfoy of all people is what puts it over the top.

2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

How does unsung hero end?

3. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Unsung Hero, the twin-BWL fic, ends with a few things that killed my feeble enjoyment of the story very quickly before turning it into unabashed loathing:

1. Harry marries Hermione - and then she is promptly killed.
    2. Voldemort goes out in a ridiculously quick and stupid fashion. Then Harry gives a 'speech' to all his former 'allies' about how they all fucked up and betrayed him... yeah, I'm repressing those memories.
    3. Harry's BWL brother decides to kill Harry - but instead of Harry dying, he is given the opportunity to live life again, this time bereft of Hermione's initial friendship. And then the story ends.

...yeah.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Ah, Unsung Hero. The ending that put me off browsing for new fics until I found my way here.

5. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Well that's massively disappointing. I never got around to finishing the story and now, I don't think I'll ever bother.

Thanks for the warning.

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Unsung Hero was one of the fics that started very, very good and ended so badly that it'd be better if it was abandoned. That made me curious - have anyone read fic that was mostly medicore (or bad but I don't think anyone read something he doesn't like) but have really kick ass ending?

7. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

This was pretty much the new Star Trek movie.

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I disagree completely. It started shit and remained shit imo.

Definitely over-rated.

9. Portus

Portus Heir

Unsung Hero, I am disappoint

I'm sure if I started reading it now I'd agree with Oz, but as it was one of the first fanfics I read, I was completely taken with it, senseless and unexplained cliches and all.

Still, I was so damned over-the-top furious when
    Hermione was killed right the fuck out of nowhere
    that I didn't even read the next chapter. To this day I haven't finished the fic, and if I hadn't highlighted Silens' spoiler-tagged area I still wouldn't know how it ended.

There was talk around that time that the author had written the fic as a "Fuck You" to H/Hr fans, sort of giving them the troll finger. (Ballsy, and I could respect that sort of trolling) I don't think that has any merit, but it certainly made me rage. Stupid cunt...

To post something On-Topic:

For underrated fics, I'll second Pers' listing What Lies Beneath by Master Slytherin. Just an incredibly well done story. I could name several more that deserve a lot more praise and accolades than they get, but that one reminded me of this one:

Ruin by Master Slytherin. Time-travel!Harry but it's post-DH and IIRC DH-compliant in that Teddy is Harry's godson, etc. A great and well-written story but it was really supposed to set up the sequel, and the potential pairing, while only hinted at, was definitely not over-used. The story ended pretty abruptly, but again, there was supposed to be a sequel, dammit!

10. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Definitely a downer, but Dryad's follow-up (and blessed by Barb) was outstanding.

11. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I like that one Ellisande, a lot actually, but whether it's overrated or not is something I'll wait to judge til it's either polished and finished or abandoned.

Personally I think Joe's Wasteland's of Time is a bit over-rated. I read at least half of it and just couldn't get into it. Sorry Joe. Still a kickass story, and I'd rate it at 4/5, but everyone else seems to think it's worth a 6. I loved Sword of the Hero though.

I actually haven't read all of the stories mentioned on this thread yet. Think I might try a few of them. Overrated or not it seems like people think some of them are still worth reading.

13. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

HP and the BWL is okay, yeah. It's just that there's not enough real progress for my taste. I get the feeling when we get to the end and compare End-Harry with Start-Harry, we'll see a huge, dramatic difference, but the buildup is so damn slow right now. Well written and worth reading for sure, but it needs to go places, now.

Hmm...I don't think I've thrown in my coins over Wastelands yet.

Lovers and haters all have valid arguments in this thread. The way I see it, it reads out like the perfect action movie: Slightly stunted beginning, fast buildup, whirlwind romance, flashy action scenes, and one awesome mindfuck after another. I like this story, but I have to watch 15 minutes of Smokin' Aces before I read every new segment to get myself in the mood for an over-the-top action extravaganza.

14. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

To be fair 33 of those pages were from Jigokonu and people responding to his posts.

Most Overrated for me? Has to be Song of the Trees by Tinn.

Its pretty amazing but I can't empathise with her portrayal of Harry.

Though the way she sets the theme and mood of the story makes me very envious of her writing ability.

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cheddar, I'm not denying the story is decent so far, but I've seen what? 4 chapters max? 33 pages of discussion?

I haven't read the discussion at all, just thought it was ridiculous. Totally understand Jigo being the cause of it though, heh.

16. Torak

Torak Death Eater

That is the sad truth.

17. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

The Denarian series was completely over-rated. I personally knew what the author wanted to do with it and let me tell you that it was complete bullshit. The guy had no damn clue what he was doing, all he cared about was action scenes and smart-arse comebacks and he comes off as a gigantic dick in his A/Ns.

1/5

On a serious note, I always thought that Master Eldryn was overrated. I read a few of his stories and it seemed to me that there was always this hot OC that Harry wanted to bang but never could.

Underrated- thestiefis (spelled right?" from what I recall had some really decent stuff that never really grew to be well-known.

18. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Dude, that Denarian series really was total shit. I agree with you fully. I can't believe anyone would have it on their list of favorites...

In truth, overrated wise, I feel that while Bungle in the Jungle is a good read, it isn't the phenomenon people here make it out to be. I much prefer The Lie I've Lived.

19. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Eh, I don't know if this counts as an answer, but just go on FF.Net and search for the words Harem, Inheritance, and Harry, and pretty much everything that will come out is crap.

20. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

It doesn't.

The most overrated is Bungle. Shit is awesome but not as awesome as people say.