1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What is the Fanfiction novel you think is extremely overrated?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Salah, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Oh you guys... when will you learn? Wastelands is the Die Hard or Lethal Weapon of HP fanfiction.

If you want emotional character-driven stuff then go read The Notebook.

EDIT: :awesome

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

THIS.

/end of Wastelands discussion

Edit: Redundancy for the sake of redundancy is still redundant. This thread has gotten boring. Wastelands is way over-hyped, but still a good story. Moving on.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yo, I'm really happy for you, Jbern, and Imma let you finish, but Wastelands of Time is the greatest story of all time.

4. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Something becomes overrated when everyone squees and recommends, spewing things like:

"It's epic!"
    "You have GOT to read this!"
    "13000/5!"

If they fail to include a few drawbacks with their recommendation, then they hyped it. Thus, Wastelands of Time is overrated, but like all fanfiction it has its flaws.

This said formula applies to everything, regardless if it deserves the hype or not.

5. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

You are an idiot. Either that or you have never been to ff.net to read reviews because let me tell you damn near every story on that site has at least one review like that. Therefore by your standards every story would be overrated which pretty much makes your formula useless.

Go take a look at my post about Wastelands again. You'll see exactly why it isn't overrated off this site. I can link you up to more stories like Methods with a crazy high numbers of reviews (and hype on other sites) in contrast to quality of writing and word count if you wish. Unless you are specifically talking about Wastelands being overrated on this site, I will always disagree with you and go out of my way to reference truly overrated stories so you can see the difference between the two.

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Which is why Wastelands isn't overrated.

If you're really that intent on proving that it's overrated, you're more beneficial to that argument if you let Amerision or Nuhuh do the talking.

7. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Enough. This is not the "Is WoT overrated thread?"

So to introduce another well-loved author: Jono.

Cue lynching.

Now, usually we hate authors preaching to us and thinly veiled political commentary. Yet Jono has it by the bucket loads. Also we have bashed melodrama by way of the story-that-shall-not-be-mentioned (which by common consensus does drama very well), but some of the dramatic student army scenes were just so painfully cringe-worthy. We like drama but we like it well done. There is much to like in Jono's writing but it's not held up to DLP standards.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  8. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
  9. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I find Tinn's "The Song of the Trees", in proportion to review count, to be one of the most underrated stories on FF.net. I haven't re-read it in a while, but from what I can recall, it was nearly flawless.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Reign of Power by Fayr Warning

Personally, you can't keep that one in high enough esteem. It remains my favourite story of all times. I love it the way I love Amer's Equal and Opposite (which belongs to the underrated-list as well), for going a little deeper than your usual FF. It's the one story I have gone back to, to read and re-read numerous times.

Or perhaps I'm just in love with Fayr's writing in general. Child of Mercy is great as well, only not finished, and she has stopped writing, which is truly a pity.

11. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

A fic that I think is really underrated is Perspicacity's Hallows and Pathos. It was the first story I read on DLP, and aside from the ending, it's one of my favourite fanfics of all time.

Btw, Pers, I remember you mentioning that you might redo the ending to that fic. Is that still happening?

12. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

On ones that are underrated? Since most here will know the HP universe well and will post them, I'll try for a small underrated fanfic from Chrono Cross.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1813038/1/Of_Lives_Seldom_Written

Of Lives Seldom Written by Insert Coins. It's his only story and it's written amazingly well, concentrating more on the side characters than the main ones. Kidd and Serge. It does focus more on romance and is long at times. The pace slows a little in the second pair/chapter, but I think it's still engaging.

With the writing level versus number of reviews, if that's how we're measuring it, I say it's underrated.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is that definite, or an assumption? I know it's been about two years since she updated, but I still hold out hope!

As for under-rated stories, I second Song of the Trees. It's a brilliant story, and the duel in the Department of Mysteries is one of my favourite action scenes in the fandom.

14. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

This is a case of relative hyping levels, IMO. The actual active "DAYDverse" membership is positively miniscule, and probably even smaller since the wank came up to the surface...but it cannot be denied that the enthusiasm of their inner circle can be rather intense. This coming from me who, in full disclosure, used to chat with them back when they had a Jabber-based chat room. I can say that a lot of the the hyping is directed at thanfiction himself, rather than just his fanfiction work.

Outside of that small circle, I'm not sure it's any more overhyped than other fics of its quality level, and probably less hyped than some.

As for its sequels? Sluagh I didn't quite like as much - I liked the author's Neville more when he was a working class hero instead of an epic one. I do quite like what's been written for A Peccatis, but I'm not sure that one will continue to be written in the post-wanksplosion era.

15. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

Fucking this. That was a kick ass story that I've read several times. It just never gets old.

16. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

I KEEL YOU!

This. So much this. How anyone likes this story after the sixth book is beyond me; look at my review, in which I detail what exactly I find wrong with this story... namely everything. If there is one story I'd put up for most overrated, it'd be the R-Series.

Also, though I don't agree with it, I'm surprised nobody had brought up Barb's Psychic Serpent Trilogy. It's considered by most to be the seminal HP work. I think it deserves its hype, but I thought more people on DLP would disagree with that.

17. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah... no.

And psychic serpent sucked. Maybe because it wasn't the first fic I ever read (that lofty honour falls on Joe's Hero trilogy) and I read it years after the fact, but I just thought it was dull.

18. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I don't think Gentleman Usher of the Scarlet Rod is underrated at all. At least not on this site. The amount of quotes and references made to it popularize it enough.

I actually didn't enjoy it as much as other people did. It just didn't sit right with me. It's probably just personal taste but I like to think I'm not the only one.

Equal and Opposite it definitely underrated. It takes an old idea (Femme!Harry) and makes it exciting and very sexy. :cool:

19. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Not sure how I feel about this. :awesome

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I honestly didn't like Equal and Opposite that much.

Actually, its better to say that I don't find it under rated. It's definitely a good read, but nothing phenomenal. I think it just about the amount of publicity it deserved.