1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What is the Fanfiction novel you think is extremely overrated?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Salah, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I sense lulz to ensue.

2. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

Ha. I'm gay so it's not that strange.

3. Mog

Mog DA Member

Well, I've never read this story before. So, when I followed your link I was pleasantly surprised after reading the first 5 chaps, not including that intro thing.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Inb4Schrodingersropes

5. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

I really enjoyed Dark Respite and always thought it was underrated. Granted, it has its flaws but it was entertaining and a good read.

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

How does Song of the Trees succeed in getting your interest? The very first paragraph is just so bland in its description. And I've read till the invisibility cloak, and I remember the Cruciatus curse lasting very long and permanently making Harry an insomniac not making any sense. Perfect grammar doesn't count for anything since I expect it to be a given anyway.

Gentleman Usher I would agree with were it not for the Lovecraft aspect and underwhelming ending. Fun read, but all in all the sum of its parts.

Equal and Opposite, the writing wasn't polished as Amer admitted, and after the hiatus the plotting went sour, and there was that pseudo-artistic ending with analogues for misogyny or some such, so agree with Ellisande there.

Lost Time is genuinely underrated.

What Lies Beneath is underrated. A lot of copouts as I recall, like MS avoiding the first meeting with Tracy and the formation of Harry's new group of friends through using a diary. Still deserving of a lot more recognition than it got.

7. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

As to Gentleman, I think the underwhelming on the hole due to the fact that Heather had intended to do a sequel. Now the wench just needs to turn up more often again and start writing more. :|

As to Lost Time; I've got a love/hate with this. It was a genuinely interesting, to me, and I loved it for being the unique experience it was. But also when I started it I had a huge craving for Harry/Hannah, so the interactions kind of turned me off a bit..

8. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Underrated now? Well:

The Best of You by e-chan16 deserves more attention than it's gotten, but that's probably because it demystifies Luna quite a bit. I guess not everyone enjoys a Luna-that-isn't-off-kilter.

>_>

<_<

Ice Princess by Luan Mao. Nice long one-shot, even if the ending is kinda abrupt. It was nice to read a story with Daphne in it that didn't portray her as Aphrodite's gift to mankind.

9. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

I absolutely loved psychic serpent, it was among the fics that got me really into fanfiction and the possibilities of escaping the JK world. But oddly enough, I never finished the trilogy. For one reason or another, going past the first story I never managed to stay that intrigued. I've gone back a couple of times, but it has been long enough that I'd have to start from the beginning, so I haven't done it. So personally, even though I'm probably here because of it, I would have to agree. It is probably a bit overrated.

10. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Up until the ending, this was my favourite fanfiction.

The ending fails to give us what was promised to us in the first chapter.

11. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Three-dimensional characters. A Daphne Greengrass which is not the 'ice queen' and yet Slytherin enough in a real and engaging way. A post VM hero who hasn't reached godhood who has an unfamiliar personal battle to fight than just the next 'big bad.' Daphne's panties. The list goes on.

Edit: The list going on: Political intrigue which is not not the lord of noble houses and wizengamot(sp?) wanking. The interdepartmental intrigue between Aurors and Unspeakables is riveting. You don't know everything as the reader, there is very real suspense, and again, original characters that feel real and are interesting in their own right. Oh, and did I mention the best McG characterization? She's seen only a few times but man it makes me want to read more about her.

Cruciatus curse in canon drives people insane if held on too long. In this it made him an insomniac amongst several other side affects. That could be considered too much creative license, or it could not. But in spirit the Cruciatus having a debilitating effect is reasonable.

I agree that Song of Trees is one of the most underrated stories here or on FF. It stands apart in the list of stories where one can really become immersed. The environment and mood is real, the characters are interpreted in new ways, instead of being caricatures borne of juvenile conceptions of heroes, anti-heroes, objects of lust/love.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Which is why I could never really get in to it, unfortunately. It's extremely well written (if slow paced) but it's nowhere near escapist enough for me. If I wanted realism (not to be mistaken for coherence), I'd go downstairs and have a chat with my housemate. My problem with Song isn't its quality - which is indisputable - but its lack of fantasy. It's kinda the anti-Wastelands.

13. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

Pics or it didn't happen. :awesome

14. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I think the Alexandra Quick series is underrated. It commits the crime of being non Harry-centric, but it pulls it off extremely well and is one of the only fics in which I still eagerly check my email for a new update.

As for overrated DLP fics, I would have to say Sitra Ahra. It started out very engaging, but turned quite meh during the middle and later chapters.

15. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I agree. I got so sick of the Flamels and it's way too long. It's taken up to now to just get to the end of the first summer!

16. KillerEggLord

KillerEggLord Third Year

As far as overrated fics go I would agree that Psychic Serpent is very overrated, but I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned Power of Time, which committed original sin in regards to ShoppingTripHarry!, BachelorPadHarry!, and HedwigTheMagicChicken!

Also An Aunt's Love is shit.

As far as underrated fics go, I'd have to go with Three Wizards, which is short, just beginning, slow to update, and has impending character problems - but is intriguing in a way that deserves more then 88 reviews on ff.net

Although going by ff.net, Skitterleap and What Ever Happened to Bromance?, Vlad's Cormac Epic, are underrated too.

17. turtle7

turtle7 Backtraced

18. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Ha. Oz, that is brilliant.

Actually, no. Power of Time kind of 'invented' the standard for what are now awful, horrible, mind-numbing cliches. For all the thousands of ShoppingTripHarry! stories out there, you'll find that 99.9% have taken the idea from Power of Time.

There is also a scary rumour that after 4 years, RossWrock may soon be updating that story. Seriously.

19. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

This. PoT is what graced FF with what were original ideas and then everyone and their mother insisted on using them.

And, Joe...that is really scary. Where could he even go with it anymore? A thousand writers have taken his set-up to it's many logical conclusions already.

20. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Yeah I spoke to the guy a few months ago, although I'll believe it when I see it.

No idea where he could take it. If it were me, I'd throw in some demons, a white rose of death, apocalyptic final battle that pales in comparison to the true final battle, and then some beer and chips.

Seriously, I'd read it again if it were finished. Simply because it still stands as a readable story. It was the first to do half of the now awful cliches, but even six years on it still did them the best.