1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What is the Fanfiction novel you think is extremely overrated?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Salah, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Yeah this is definitely a situation where you'd have to blow up the story to take it to a different level, add enough odd elements to salvage it. If he'd finished it when he started it, it would've kept its place in FF history as the first complete one of its kind. Too many people have half-assed his ideas.

Still just for the sake of nostalgia I would read if he finishes it. 'A white rose of death,' heh, that sounds interesting. Is that from WoT, or just off the top of your head?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  2. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Its from every fanfic I've ever written. Long running theme kind of deal that is supposed to represent some deeper meaning and forethought to the story. Alternatively, its grandiose bullshit.

To each their own.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Wasn't there a ring of white roses around Hogwarts in one of the hero trilogy stories? ;)

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Full Pensieve's Harry Potter and the Years of Rebellion came out slightly earlier and it too helped establish many of the clichés of the Indy!Harry story. I like FP's story better, despite its being ridiculously complex and lacking anything resembling dramatic pacing.

Another that I think is underrated is Cygnus Crux's Existence After Life (and sequels): grandiose scope, three completed novels and 200k words into a fourth, 650k words total, it came out in March 2002. "The release of OotP means this story is now AU." While too much of an emofest for today's palate, it was one of the greats for its time, back when Harry/Ginny looked unlikely in canon and few fanfiction stories pushed beyond the walls of Hogwarts or England's magical society.

5. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    There sure was. Although I can't remember why now. I think it was something to do with staving off the end of the world through the majesty of flower petals. Yeah.

And that's why I'm awesome.

Yeah it did. I'd forgotten about that. Good story.

6. KillerEggLord

KillerEggLord Third Year

That is kinda what I mean by original sin. The fact that he does it better then Ascension of the Scorpion Sorcerer, another overrated story with 2000+ reviews, doesn't mean that the shopping trip plan was a good story mechanic in the first place. I like Power of Time, especially as it was one of the first 20 stories I ever read, but I think its place in the fandom is larger then its quality requires - even though it provided the template for a huge chunk of Post-OotP fanfiction.

But in terms of old stories I'd like to see an update of, March Madness' Fugitive Prince or Elemental Prophesies, while not great, would be preferable to Power of Time.

7. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

He/she hasn't updated in forever, but I'd jiz myself if Raven Dragonclaw updates.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Sound of Sorcery. Pretty decent, if a bit OTT, but hasn't been updated in a couple of years. Not to everyone's taste (i.e. Harry/Ginny), but it's got some fantastic action, and a great style to it. I read all 52 chapters before realising that it hadn't updated in a year, and I'm still waiting for an update...

9. turtle7

turtle7 Backtraced

Roscharch's Blot is overrated.

10. novaschamp

novaschamp First Year

If I could pick any fic to be updated it'd have to be Only Enemies. That story was one of the first ones I ever read and it set the bar way too high for my ff standards.

On a side note, what the hell is the Shoe Box Project? The first time I'd ever heard about it was on this thread.

11. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

The only way I'd ever jiz myself is if Master Eldryn came out of nowhere with either an update or a new story. Speaking of overrated people, he is one massively overrated author. I don't care though because I'm a fanboy so I can't talk. Dude was brilliant in his time.

12. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Another series that I think is overrated is that one which starts with Harry getting thrown into an alternate dimension where his alternate self is one of Voldemort's Death Eaters and he goes about trying to prove his innocence (don't remember much more than that). I can't for the life of me remember the title (I know it has like 300k+ words), but I thought it was a pretty bad fic at the time I read it and yet a ton of people (even here on DLP) think it's great.

13. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

The Darkness Within and its two sequels. And yeah, they were kinda shitty.

14. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The whole thing sounds like a cheap knock-off of Jono's Stranger 'verse.

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought he was talking about the Strangerverse at the start. :p

16. Anme

Anme Professor

Wasn't Darkness Within about Harry being taken away as a child? It doesn't fit his description. I really think he is talking about Stranger in an Unholy Land.

17. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Me too. Then again, there are at least 4 stories out there called "The Darkness Withen."

18. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

Well, I remember dimension travel as being part of that series. Maybe it's one of the sequels that I'm remembering. Or it's quite possible I'm mixing up my Darkness Withins.

19. turtle7

turtle7 Backtraced

Stranger in an Unholy Land, despite all its awesome reviews, is still underrated.

20. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Yeah that's it. Stranger in an Unholy Land.

I forced myself a little over half way through it and then had to stop. Plain and simply, it sucked. There were moments when I literally facepalmed and felt embarrassed for some of the characters. While I remember the writing being technical, the content itself was unbearable.