1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What is the Fanfiction novel you think is extremely overrated?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Salah, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The meaning of one and its sequels. I read them a long time ago when I first got into Fanfiction and I liked htem, but they were never what you'd call outstanding.

2. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I think Partially Kissed Hero is definitely overrated. (Can't recall if someone already posted it.)

As to S'Tarkan. When Harry and Ginny had that talk at the end of second year, her gushing at their love and acting ten years her age, is when it became too much for me. That and it never seems to end. Filler chapters, endless amounts of dialogue. Similar to Partially Kissed Hero, it just goes into too much detail.

3. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

Partially Kissed Hero? You actually read that? Even after the main characters somehow managed to obtain totally awesome, epically beautiful, incredibly strong and super fast fairy/anime bodies?

After that fic I felt like killing myself in a fit of weltshmerz.

4. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Most overrated: Sunrise/Sunset over Britain by Bobmin. I think the story's pretty good (I did read it all) but too over the top.

Most underrated: Harry Potter and the Flying Squad by Horst Pollmann. The best Harry/Cho story ever.

5. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Has anyone mentioned aspeninthesunlight's A Year Like No Other - and sequels? I think it is currently the most vastly overrated story out there, considering how much attention it gets.

6. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

I've read them, and I like them. Certainly not DLP material, what with Snape adopting Harry and Malfoy, but they're well characterized and well-plotted. It deserves a lot of the hype it gets, but not all of it.

7. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What are people's feelings on the whole Resonance, Revolution, and I think the last one is Resolution? The stories have some really interesting aspects, but I'm not sure it would fly on DLP due to snape and harry adoption, although it is the most realistically done I've ever seen. At the same time, there are better stories with a tenth of the reviews, so I could certainly see it as overrated.

8. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The 'R' series by Regulus. What started off as an interesting re-hash of canon with an OC named Tonks and a Ravenclaw!Harry, it quickly became a massive shithole. I didn't have problems with the zomg!I can't sleep portion, but books 6 and 7 quickly turned into a cesspit of fail.

Props for finishing the damn thing, making him one of the like 5 people ever to do a total canon rehash from start to finish, but he started a new series with the 'second generation'. :wall:

9. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I personally like GreenGecko's Resonance series and don't find it overrated at all. It's unusual enough in its execution of hackneyed tropes in the HP'verse to stand out from the pack. The series isn't to everyone's tastes, but it's good nonetheless. One of the few "Severitus" fics I can actually stand.

10. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Agreed. I didn't really mean to suggest that I feel it is excessively overrated, in fact I like the fic and agree, it is one of the very very few Severitus esque fics that's any good at all. I was just curious, as I'm not sure I've ever seen it discussed anywhere at DLP.

11. Swimdraconian

Resonance

It's in the Recycling Bin. Most DLPers have a hard time getting past its premises of Severus adopting Harry and the Dark Lord being defeated right off the start of the series.

For all of that, I find that it does not lack for bad guys. The fic takes a very logical step of having other evils try to fill the power vacuum left behind when Voldemort died, one of them being a mafia of sorts. What's even more interesting is Harry's slow evolution into Tom Riddle as motivated by a growing need for power.

The whole theme of the series is about absolute power corrupting absolutely and no one is immune to it. Nice thing is, it's not very preachy and the message is subtle. I usually hate authors being didactic in nature - which is why I can't stand anything written by C.S. Lewis or Pullman - but this was actually okay. GreenGecko eases the reader into this notion without it being a slap in the face.

12. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

And yet J.K "All-You-Need-Is-Love" Rowling was not included in your preachy authors category?

Honestly, All You Need Is Love is the fucking themesong for the entire series.

13. Swimdraconian

I figured that it was obvious enough to go without saying. I will freely admit that I am a fan of the fandom and not the series itself.

Edit: It's why I like DLP. There is so much potential to be exploited in the world she created and the DLP fandom neatly circumvents the need to be preachy. You're free to put your own twist on events, people and places.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  14. Tyler

Tyler First Year

A Brave New World - bellepheron30

800 thousand words or so of absolute rubbish. It's just like the author couldn't stomach Harry living in the UK so had to send him off to America for little reason and just be boring for the next 750k words.

15. Vander

Vander First Year

That's more because Bobmin's a shitty writer. He writes Super Duper!Harry to the point that it's ridiculous (meaning Harry so overshadows every other character that they might as well not even exist since they are mere ants in comparison). All of his stories follow exactly the same plotline, so if you have read Parallels then you have read Sunrise/Sunset.

---------- Post automerged at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

I completely agree with this one. He may have jump started the whole time travel cliche, but there are many other fics that deal with it in a much more entertaining way. Looking back on it now, it's just about average.

---------- Post automerged at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

Sadly I read that entire fic and now regret it. Harry's love interest in that story is literally Hermione who's name was changed to Sophie. The shear amount of Mary Sues and Gary Stus in that fic probably top the next ten stories combined. I mean every single OC is a Mary Sue. The ending was absolutely fucking terrible as well, considering the amount of time the author went into detail about Harry's dueling skills.

16. Salah

Salah Card Captored and buttsecksed

I'm not sure but is that the one where he turned into a squib and that bitch Ginny was getting frisky with Draco behind Harry's back? I read a few chapters and I was like 'Fuck this'

17. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Book 1 and 2 of Barb's series remain the absolute pinnacle of fanfiction in my (then 15 year old) eyes. I haven't reread them since, but the sheer thought and detail into the plot was astounding.

Book 3 is similar in its greatness - except for the ending. It's technically a well written ending, unfortunately it's one that bothers me so much I almost wished I hadn't ever read the series.

He gives up his magic to save Draco Malfoy, then moves to Maine and becomes a soccer coach with Ginny as his wife.

It all sort of makes sense, except where he calls home in the epilogue, but it still bothers me a fuckload, and was sad as fuck.

18. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Did the author rewrite the end or something?

The version I read had Harry sacrifice his sight, not his magic. Not that it makes much difference, but still.

I personally enjoyed the series for the most part, though there are definitely aspects that drag it down.

19. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

You must have missed part of the last chapter -

Harry couldn't handle the fact that he couldn't ever see Hogwarts (no magic), so he subconsciously suppressed his sight so he wouldn't have to face not having magic. Eventually Dumbledore asks him what he suspects, and Harry's sight returns and he faces the fact that he's without magic.

20. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

:awesome

You guys got suckered.