1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What's so funny about being a good guy?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Celestin, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Portus

Portus Heir

This should be good...

I knew this thread would be worth reading.

Say it isn't so.

He's a bad mutha - SHUT YO' MOUTH!!

Shaft!Harry for the epic loss. I mean, come on, seriously?!?

No, this is a combination of LOL and FAIL, but by all means, do write it. And post it in the WbA for our... approval.

2. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Lol, I know how bad it sounds. I basically typed that up while I was still thinking it. The original idea of being on the streets mainly just came from the previous posts and didn't have any real need to be there.

In all seriousness, thanks for the honest opinion. If I ever write this I seriously doubt it will even vaguely resemble the original idea. I'd like to blame it all on coffee and lack of sleep, but it's only part of it.

3. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Afaik Great Britain doesn't have a system for container-deposits, so Harry couldn't live on collecting cans. :p

4. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

This post won't really be constructive, but I was watching the Hitman movie yesterday, and a question the dude asks made me think of a few things I needed to get out of my head:

"How does a good man decide when to kill?"

I think it fits, because if you believe in the prophesy, then 'either must die at the hand of the other, for neither can live while the other survives.' Harry, according to that, has to kill.

So how do we take a Harry who is trying to be a good man, who has solid principles, and have him decide when to kill?

5. Portus

Portus Heir

Eh, while I still say the way you posited your idea was lulzy, the idea of a protector-of-the-weak!Harry is not without merit. I am all for a Harry with a strong social conscience, etc. but the author would have to work hard to prevent the story from veering into preachiness.

I know this is not exactly the same type of story, but I would certainly like to see a story in which Harry has decided to use the power at his disposal to make a difference in the Muggle world. I don't mean big things like solving energy concerns or pollution, or becoming a superhero, but a story where Harry goes looking for kidnapped or missing children, some individual but very powerful and life-altering situation for a small set of people.

No doubt this would be frowned upon by the Ministry, and that would fill a layer of conflict very nicely, and the author could take it from there. I think I'll post a link to or copy of tuis over in the Plot Bunny thread...

6. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

What a line to walk for an author that is... depending on where your sense of justice is at?

Do you applaud the bouncing corpse that was Saddam, as he urinates in his own pants on death... or do you praise the brave freedom fighters as they hack the head off yet another twitching international worker or usmarine.

I do oppose: card carrying, flag waving trade unionist, power of the people preaching, uni/collage klub founding, axe-grinding, ultra-left green moving, activist... cos I see way too much of that in real life and its just getting annoying... (actually that kinda gives me the canon!hermione vibe...)

Even if it is a wholly plausible angle to write a fic from.. blood purity facists oppressing the free people etc etc.

People's Champ!harry?

7. Viper

Viper Fourth Year

If you smell-la-la-la... what the Potter is cookin' :awesome

On topic, good-guy!Harry would be boring. What I'd like to see is a Batman!Harry done. Using ways and means that are generally frowned upon, maybe even considered illegal, yet having an unbreakable moral code.

The first part I've seen done millions of times. The second, not so much.

8. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

If you're thinking about the standard ship-fic, where everyone is paired up with everyone else and Harry is fighting with the power of love, Snape and Draco are tearfully redeemed and Harry cries himself to sleep at night for months, because he killed a Death Eater - we weren't really advocating that type of story. ;)

9. Admonkeystrator

Neville is the boy who lived?... Potters Survive..?

Until one night in Diagon Alley, James decided to be a cool dude and stroll down Knockturn Alley, where he and lily are pwned by a risen voldemort (post GoF obviously), and the whole Boy Who Lived thing happens again, due to Lily's sacrifice.. but as he passes out from the killing curse and gets his scar - he see's Snape appear on the scene and then leave in his animagus form... which is a giant BAT.

The Chosen One! The Brahman Bwl, The Death Eater beatin' la-la-la-la Treacle Tart eatin'...etc
    2nd + 4th year..

Edit: I wonder if that'd make a decent challenge?
    Stick to canon loosely, but base the personalities and quirks of each main character, with WWE/WCW/TNA etc wrestlers of your choice...
    I'm pretty sure, i've never seen a full blown WWE/HP crossover, ever.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  10. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Don't see why he'd need the killing curse/scar, other than prophecy fulfillment. You could just ignore the prophecy if you wanted Harry to kill Voldemort.

And Snape wouldn't even need to turn into an animagus, he'd just need to do that swooping-flying-thing from DH.

Harry would have to go off to learn some form of martial arts somewhere, because if he doesn't use gadgets/martial arts, he's just a wizard wearing gayer clothing than most wizards.

I suppose Fred/George would play the role that Morgan Freeman has in the recent films, supplying Harry with magical equipment.

11. Harvest King

Harvest King Third Year

I'd love to see a fanfic where Harry refuses to kill anyone for any reason. It'd have to be a Harry who is very creative with his spell work which would require an author with a great amount of skill and creativity when it comes to writing dueling scenes. Leaving Voldemort immortal and trapping him for all eternity at the end of the fic would be a very nice touch as well. I'm envisioning something like what the Doctor does to the Blood family.

Every time I see PotBottom, I have a desire to reach through my computer screen and punch him in the face. It has nothing to do with his posts; I just really hate his fucking user name.

12. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Lol, I thought it was decent a few years ago although I was reading Harry/Ginny at the time, so all my thoughts are questionable. I think the name I use on all non-HP related sites, Nooblet, would be much better.

13. Admonkeystrator

While ur at it, you can ignore other things too, like fixing plot holes or avoiding horrible cliches

14. Vander

Vander First Year

Him doing that is fine, but you have to allow him to horribly screw up. For instance, say he tries to save some prostitute from her pimp but rather than save her, he inadvertently causes her murder by pissing off her pimp.

Or say for the homeless youths, he tries to give them food and clothing, but quickly finds out, after a few kids are stabbed in their sleep for their new shoes, that things don't always work out the way he wants them to.

These things shouldn't cause him to quit, but they should definitely force him to doubt himself and question why he bothers. This would keep Harry from becoming a Mary Sue and it would actually make him think about the consequences of his actions as well.

Given his ambitions in making the world a better place, this Harry would be a great fit in Slytherin. It would also totally throw the whole Dark!Harry = Slytherin and Good!Harry = Gryffindor on its head.

---------- Post automerged at 02:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 AM ----------

Batman!Harry would likely be the ultimate result of the Harry posted by Phantom of the Library. He would be brutal towards the criminals and other evil people, but have an unshakable faith in the rule of law.

This could get interesting if you have him follow Her Majesty's rule of law rather than the Ministry's because the Ministry definitely does some things that are outright illegal in the UK.

15. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sort of reminds me of Kreia's lessons in KotOR II. Hmm...

16. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Hmm... I've read fics where Harry was Revan, but not any where he was the Exile...

17. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Exile is canonically female in the SW:EU. So, unless you're going for a female!Harry...

(PS. Revan was also canonically male).

18. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Revan was canonically not an English wizard from Earth. When you're introducing Harry goddamn Potter to KotOR, canon's already gone out the window.

19. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Ah, yeah. Good point.

Might still feel wierd to a few Star Wars fans, though...

20. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wasn't quite suggesting a Star Wars crossover -- just thinking of a situation where Harry has a mentor modeled after Kreia.

Or... we could ignore that. There is a male option for the Exile, even if it "doesn't count." And I think the very idea of a crossover between Star Wars and Harry Potter already requires some overwriting of canon anyway. If anyone were to actually write a crossover where Harry is the Exile, that is.

EDIT: Damn, beat me to it.