1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your favorite fanfic ever?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Absolutista, May 14, 2011.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

CR is an admired enough a story that it's incurred the backlash effect.

Human Condition is a very special story too.

2. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Embers is the one fic I read and reread and reread some more. I know its got a lot of detractors, and several faults, but I still cannot stop reading it.
    On the HP side,
    Retsu's Folly.
    Conlaodh's Song and it's predecessor.

3. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Wow, I didn't realize how hard this question was until I tried to comb through my favorites list and pick one. There are a bunch that aren't finished that I really enjoyed, but I think my all time favorite hp story was A Black Comedy (cliche, I know :p).

Runners-up would be Stranger in an Unholy Land (another cliche! argh), Backward with Purpose (I don't remember it very well now, but I know it was one of those that had some parts that hit me pretty hard--though I'm bettin its sappier than I remember, haha), Dagger and Rose, and Prince of the Dark Kingdom. Since some of these I haven't read in a long time, it's hard to put any of them ahead of the others, heh.

Outside the fandom, for Naruto I think it's actually a little known fic called Food for Thought, but it hasn't been updated in a long time. I also really liked Time and Again for the first part, but it really started to drag in later chapters, and I've heard the sequel is kind of miserable. :p

Star Wars would probably be Shadows of the Future (I knoooow, it's sappy and feel-good, but it's still the best star wars time-travel imo) along with any of blank101's stuff.

I have a secret love for time travel and cross dimension fics, I guess.

4. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Wow. I have a few favourites, but I'll split them by fandom.

So, in Evangelion, ARSENAL and While You Were Sleeping.

In HP, Ectomancer, Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived, Renegade Cause(probably my favourite) and I quite enjoyed The Skitterleap. Also, seconding Prince of the Dark Kingdom and Dagger and Rose.

Naruto fics: Houses of the Holy (which should be updating, Howdy), Operator and Reload (both by Case13, one of the best authors in fanfiction) and People Lie. Dick author, but good story.

Code Geass: Lelouch of Brittania, and in Bleach Uninvited Guests.

Sorry for not picking one, but there are too many good fics. Thats one phrase you don't hear often.

5. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Bright the Day- An interesting take on Bellatrix.

What Would Slytherin Harry Do?- Exactly what every Slytherin!Harry should be.

Not Slytherin Enough- See above

You're a Wizard, Potter- Really funny and a really awesome Harry

Gossip Queens- The best post-DH oneshot out there, imao.

Timely Errors- I can't say why this appeals to me as much as it does. It's pretty standard, yet someone manages to be amazing. Maybe it's the writing. It's got awesome writing.

Death Note: Apples Equals Cyanide Equals Light- Entrancing and perfect. And somehow artistic and deep. I can't accurately explain this one.

Code Geass: Dauntless- One of those rare fanfics that absolutely surpass canon in every single way, imao. Not to mention one of the best update rates I've ever encountered.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

The Denarian Series.

Revisited this trilogy atleast 10 times, and it (and this site) is what got me into the Dresden Files.

7. digitalstorm

digitalstorm Seventh Year DLP Supporter

8. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Circular Reasoning
    Prince of the Dark Kingdom

These two have to be my favorites...

I have a huge soft spot for Friend or Foe by Niger Aquila though.

9. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

Lust of a dark soul, Changing faces: they were the first fics written in English that I read, and you never forget your first love, right? :)

On the way to greatness, a Black Comedy, Intoxication and the Unforgiving Minute.

10. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

For Harry Potter fiction I'm going to have to go with Browncoat, Green Eyes. Only fic that has yet to get old among Harry Potter fanfiction.

For Naruto I'm going to go with Reload. There's just something engaging about it.

For Love Hina fanfiction I'm going to have to go with Hajime no Keitaro. This fic is a work of art to me. Between this and Browncoat, Green Eyes I'm not sure which one is my overall favorite.

Favorite pokemon fic is Regret.

11. TrueBlueJP90

TrueBlueJP90 First Year

Brown Coat, Green Eyes by nonjon is easily my favorite, and I usually hate crossovers.

The Lie I've Lived by jbern is a damned close second though. No other H/F fic has come close to scratching it.

12. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

The Denarian Trilogy without a doubt. I could re-read these stories again and again without growing bored.

13. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Hasn't changed since the last time, my answer's still The Song of the Trees by Tinn Tam. The Denarian Trilogy comes at a close second.

Also, my favourite Inheritance fic would have to be Flawed Perfection.

14. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Case13's Art of the Deal (Naruto)

Jedi Boadicea's Frozen Sky and Facets for Bleach

15. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

In no particular order,
    Wastelands of Time
    Backward With Purpose (deadwoodpecker; multipart)
    Renegade Cause
    Dumbldore's Army and the Year of Darkness (thanfiction)
    Shezza's Denarian trilogy (not linked because DLP is the best place to read it)
    On His Way to Greatness (mira mirth)
    What Would Slytherin Harry Do?

And stories with more pervasive flaws that I enjoyed a great deal (just among the ones mentioned in this thread) include Sound of Sorcery, Harry Potter and the Years of Rebellion, Wit of the Raven.

16. Naja

Naja Fourth Year

Tomas the Betrayer's Hammered Down, Bleach as it should have been.

17. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

For Harry Potter it's clearly Caliburn's Ambient.

Honorable mentions to the usual: A Black Comedy, Browncoat, Green Eyes, Wastelands of Time and the Denarian Series, but Ambient is the clear winner imo.

For Naruto I'd have to say SoulShdw's The Tragedy of Repetition.

I know that many people like to criticize several things regarding this story - rightly so - but I simply love everything about it. Part of my reason for this is that this contains the best Anko ever written.

LT2000's Stain is brilliant too, but either he updates really slowly or this is abandoned. A pity.

18. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Wastelands of Time gets my vote - it's one of the few fanfics I've read right to the end.

Don't much care for crossovers, but the Denarian Trilogy is an example of doin' it right.

19. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Here's five. Four HP fanfics and one non-HP.

Nonjon. Browncoat, Green Eyes.
    Ruskbyte. Evil Be Thou My Good.
    Jeconais. Perfect Situations & the Matyorshka Vignettes.
    Rorschach's Blot. Make a Wish.
    Juan Suros. It's Not My Fault. Vorkosigan Saga. I really should put this up for the other fandoms category in the library.

20. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I started reading Stranger in an Unholy Land last night after seeing it mentioned a couple times in this thread. To be honest, I just don't see what's so great about it. The story is interesting and original for an alternate dimension fic, sure, but the writing is just okay and there are a fair number of cliches in it. It's not that it's bad, but I can't imagine putting it on level with WoT or CR or Shezza's work. Does it get better as it goes on, or something?