1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your favorite fanfic ever?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Absolutista, May 14, 2011.

1. h2o

h2o Professor

I was sorely tempted to posting this as my favorite as well... and as others have said, On the Way to Greatness has the potential to be one of the best HP fanfics ever.

Yet somehow, A Black Comedy will probably always be number one because let's face it.

You can keep my sandwich.

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Not really.

3. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I haven't read it in years, so it's mostly based on the impact it had at the time. I do remember it started out pretty sub par, but I thought it improved a lot. I remember especially the fights were pretty awesome. The dismal sequel would detract a bit, though.

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Nope, I don't either. I must have at some point because it is in my alert list, but last time I tried to re-read it to remember the plot I couldn't get past the first chapter.

Best of the Best...hmmm hard to choose.

Welcome to Hogwarts 1949 by Ohyeah100 (Best Tom Riddle characterization)

Timely Errors by Worfe (Nothing spectacular, but no matter when I read it, it is always refreshing)

Cauterize by Lady Altair (The emotion that is convey through this story is simply amazing)

5. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I guess I'll fess up to another of my favorites: Methods of Rationality.

Despite the author coming across as an arrogant dick (and basically telling DLP to go fuck themselves), and despite the fact that the story is uneven and downright boring at times (like the most recent few chapters)...

I just can't help but like it. It appeals to the "Fuck yeah, science!" side of my personality. The boring chapters are boring, but the awesome ones are awesome. It is what it is, but what it is happens to appeal to me strongly.

Plus, I maintain that MoR!Quirrell is one of the best done bad guys in fanfic - and that the Azkaban arc in particular was very well done and just plain awesome.

6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nothing wrong with admitting it... about half of DLP who isn't neutral likes it - it's got a 3.06, and that's as many 1s as 5s. The fic has its moments (humor in the first 20 chapters, and then plot), and it has more moments than most other fics do. For all that's wrong with it, it's funny, smart, and annoyingly convoluted.

7. Rym

Rym Auror

Denarian Series, hands down (the trilogy - not that fourth one that almost saw the light of day)

8. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

Er, really? Sorry about that. I did search for a thread like this before starting it. Obviously I didnt find any.

9. EthyleneGlycol

EthyleneGlycol Second Year

Many of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I'll throw Renegade Cause out there. It's not finished yet, and at 400K the plot tends to wander a little bit, but it's definitely one of the most ambitious fics being written at the moment.

10. Tzel

Tzel Squib

Do we know if the 4th one will ever see the light of day? I would fanboy all over it.

11. Portus

Portus Heir

On The Way To Greatness by mira mirth. The best Slytherin!Harry ever done, and with WWSHD as competition, that's saying something.

As I've said before, I finished the first Denarian story, but after the millionth time reading "his dark power" I was too bored to read any of the sequels.

VINCET and its sequel VULTUS SERPENTIS are also incredibly good, as is nuhuh's Catharsis. Catharsis has the potential to be the best ever.

12. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

13. Gulliver

Gulliver Second Year

By the Divining Light is the best fic I've read thus far.

14. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This. Also, Make a Wish, which I know is pretty dated, but still. Haven't read it in ages just to preserve the memory.

15. EndlessRain

EndlessRain Squib

My all-time favorite story would have to be the Denarian Trilogy. Runners-up would be Wastelands and its sequel, and By the Divining Light/Conlaodh's Song.

16. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I find it hard to disagree with some of your clearly spot-on choices here and I could cheat like everyone else and throw out a half dozen honorable mentions but I'll stick with just one that's definitely at or near the top for me and has yet to be mentioned:

Evil Be Thou My Good by Ruskbyte (DLP Thread)

It's a brilliant concept, taken from its beginning to its conclusion and genius blending of horror and Harry Potter. I've read it more than a dozen times and still gives me giddy chills.

17. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The first (and still best, IMO) fanfiction I've ever read is After the End, even though it's ridiculously dated at this point (pre-OotP, yikes).

Still an amazing read, and the reason that fanfiction hooked me hard enough that I'm still here posting now.

18. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

WTF you all smokin'?

Wastelands of Time

</thread>

19. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

Dammit, Dark, I'm out of thumbs.

Though fics such as The Lie I've Lived, Renegade Cause, A Black Comedy and HPatBWL come close, I still enjoy Wastelands more than any other.

20. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I think the author is pregnant or some shit