1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your favorite fanfic ever?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Absolutista, May 14, 2011.

1. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

I'll just throw in two of my favorite authors who are a bit under represented in this thread: Voice of the Nephilim and Nuhuh.

I like plenty others, but a lot of them have been covered.

2. Portus

Portus Heir

As much as I LOVED By the Divining Light, I didn't think of it as quite long enough to be an all-time fave. Now, once the third (and last?) installment is done, it has the potential to be the best series ever. That, I can agree with.

I've been meaning to review that one in the Library. While I really liked the premise, there was always one thing that stuck in my head and pretty much ruined it for me: Why in fuck is Harry so scared of the Hellraisers? I understand they're scary looking, etc., but it's pretty explicitly stated that the screams of the Dursleys are what fucks him up. He didn't actually *SEE* any of the most likely horrific torture, etc. that the Dursleys went through. Yet he's scared shitless of Hellraiser and the others from then on. Even when he has seen all manner of magic and magical monsters. All because he could hear the Dursleys being hacked apart or whatever happened to them.

It just seemed to be a stupid reason, when he never knew for certain that Hellraiser couldn't be killed with even the least bit of magic. Eh, it made me lose any sense of feeling in the fic.

Weird - that's also the first fanfic I ever read, and in spite of the fact it's not aged all that well from a who-lived, who-died, etc. standpoint, I recc it every chance I get if for no other reason than the superb writing and the extremely well-fleshed-out OCs.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Best completed fic: What Lies Beneath by MS.

Most enjoyable completed fic: Denarian series by Shezza.

Best incomplete fic: By the Divining Light.

4. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I was under the impression that Harry's fear of them was something instinctive because he was the one who opened the puzzle box. He didn't need to see them do anything horrific because he understood it on a primal level. That's just my interpretation though.

5. Rym

Rym Auror

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that when you're a young kid and your family is butchered and shit - that's probably gonna leave a mark, magic or not. Sure, witnessing it would be a hell of a lot worse, but just being there and knowing it happened would deal some serious psychological trauma.

6. Roma

Roma Fourth Year

Sheeza is pregnant?

7. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

My favourite HP fanfic?

The Lie I've Lived by jbern - Hands down.

My favs from some other fandoms, just to provide a bit of variation:

ST- Voyager: Past Imperfect by Fletcher Delancey and the following four books in this series, plus the offshoot novel "Without a front". --> femslash, OC and angst warning applies.

Star Wars: Heart of Darkness by Cka3ka- a mostly dark and action filled AU fic featuring Vader and a budding Sith Lady Leia. Not finished, likely abandoned at 213.000 words. *Sigh*

Lord of the rings: Saruman and the Blue Wizards by Rob Rastorp- The story of Sarumans early years in middle earth, his fight against evil and the first steps of his corruption. Brillantly done in a style very similar to Tolkien, with much action and epic battles.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  8. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

About to give birth this August I think.

9. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

My favourite fanfic ever is the original version of the Ranma 1/2 fic Process of Elimination by Brian Randall

It may be old and it has it's faults but despite that it will always be my favourite.

10. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Some like the Grey Maiden series are considered good because of the length rather than quality at times, I think.

I can't say anything about Circular Reasoning, because honestly, I haven't had the three-four days spare time needed to probably read it through yet.

My favorite fics in order:

1st and I'm honestly suprised it hasn't been mentioned by name yet, Sitra Ahra

2. Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived

3. Forging the Sword

11. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Forging the Sword goes on my list as well, now that I think of it.

12. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Stranger in an Unholy Land is a fairly early example of most of the now stale cliches, even though it certainly isn't the origin of them. I mean, it started in 2004; it's bound to have a lot of problems compared to more modern favorites. That said, the opening is hardly the best part of it. It gets significantly more awesome as you near the middle, and then sort of peters out, IIRC. Don't bother with the sequel unless you have nothing better to read. Not only is the sequel unfinished, it is much weaker than its predecessor.

13. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

At first thought, I don't really have one. Haven't read Wastelands, Divining Light or Circular Reasoning and I only truly loved Denarian Lord out of the trilogy... No, okay, I have a Favourites list on FF.net, and that about covers it, a few older ones from my first fanfiction days aside...

Ehh, I guess I'll say Ectomancer and Song of the Trees, but it sucks there's a good chance both will end up forever abandoned - despite Rusty's recent Ectomancer rewriting blitz.

14. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Times like this I wish there was a thumbs down button.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

So do I right now.

OP: Link, Link. But I somehow think there were more.

16. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    It's hard to narrow down to just one favorite story. A favorite that hasn't yet been mentioned is lulu42's Path of Decision.

17. Nae

Nae The Violent

Best fic I've Ever read : Harry Potter and the Hero's Path.

I have trouble choosing the second between Wastelands of Time and Stranger in an Unholy Land. Also, Renegade Cause.

And simply because I was introduced to awesome Independent Harry through this fic, the Legacies series by The Dark Lord Nedved. Hasn't been updated in quite a while.

18. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Favourite in progress- Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived

Favourite completed- A Shattered Prophecy

Favourite abandoned- Traitorous OR Antithesis

19. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

My favourites include pretty much anything written by Nuhuh or VotN. Renegade Cause, Omagic's Dark Respite and the Denarian Series along with Amerision's Equal and Opposite also make the list.

And yes, Malignant Objects is on there as well. Say what you will about the fic - the prose is like rolling naked in money.

20. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Slightly dirty and you don't know where it came from? :D