1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your favorite fanfic ever?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Absolutista, May 14, 2011.

1. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

Lol. Even if that's true, that's hardly the point of the conversation, and you're a pretentious dick for trying to one-up him in the stupidest way possible. Congrats!

2. ItsAProcess

ItsAProcess Fourth Year

On topic: Strangely enough, I'm much fonder of the idea of Fem!Blaise than I am of 'Daphne Greengrass', despite the fact that the characters are both just meant to be Slytherin Blank Slates. I've never been able to put a finger on why.

Am I the only one like that? Someone out there with a preference to 'Tracey Davis' over either Fem!Blaise or Daphne?

....o_O

(oh lawd, not again)

Or perhaps instead I was merely addressing the fact that there is no such 'lemmings effect', thus stating a basis for my disagreement with his opinion on the topic at hand. Just perhaps I assumed that folks who frequent this board are both intelligent enough and mature enough to not immediately jump to the juvenile dick-waving conclusion and see the implication therein.

Just perhaps I was also taking the opportunity to share an interesting little factoid, since the entire idea is a (common) myth and fallacy, whilst at the same time taking a shot at Disney, who has a habit of such things.

In the future, I shall make sure to couch every single thing I say in terms that could not possibly be construed as unkind or impolite since no-one here is ever undeservedly so without immediate reprisal. I shall also do my utmost to make every insinuation and implication as clear as possibly could be so that some people who apparently still view the world in terms of juvenile dick waving contests, won't take offense.

Oh wait, no I won't.

Newsflash, asshole. I don't care if you don't like me and my speech patterns. I'm not going to change or go away just because you feel the impulse to look at everything I say and look for ways to misconstrue something in a fashion which excuses your persecutory(2) actions, thus 'one upping' me in a 'pretentious' and 'douchebag' like fashion.

Or, to couch it in terms for a person who still thinks in terms of juvenile dick-waving contests...

"Fuck off, loser."

(To be clear, that is me being a pretentious dick.)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think he was objecting to your tone. He was objecting to how pointless the post was, as the actual fact of the matter regarding Lemmings was not necessary for us to understand the point that was being made.

Regarding fem!Blaise: I don't think there's any kind of grand explanation as to why there's more Daphne than there is fem!Blaise. After all, for many years there was a lot more fem!Blaise than there was Daphne. Daphne was fem!Blaise's successor, really. Daphne only really started being written once the release of HBP made it impossible to pretend that Blaise was a girl.

4. Nae

Nae The Violent

Damn it, I keep opening this thread hoping to find more great fics I haven't read.

>_>

5. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This.

@ Itsaprocess: What you said had literally, LITERALLY no bearing on the conversation, the only possible point of the post was to make yourself look smart and/or to make him look dumb.

In truth, you do that to yourself quite well. Do you want to know how?

Because you expend so much effort trying to find ways to distinguish yourself and going on pointless little rants, and you don't realize that the most effective tactic for effectively neutering someone who you don't care about and who you think is an idiot is by either

a. Ignoring them.

b. Laughing at them.

I'm laughing at you right now.

6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Right now would be a good time not to post a rebuttal, in case you didn't get it.

7. ItsAProcess

ItsAProcess Fourth Year

Edit: :facepalm

@Taure: I See, I only ever read one Fem!Blaise fic (that being Draco664's Apprentice/Journeyman/Master series [/plug]), so I was unaware that there are alot of Fem!Blaise fics. I'll have to try and find some good one's besides the above stated. Luckily for me, the perfect resource is only a few clicks away.

Any personal recommendations?

In an attempt to remain on topic, and since I fumblefingered and submitted before ready to, I figure I'll try to move onto reccing favorite fics by genre and/or pairing. Just as soon as I draw up a list.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Almost all of them were classic indy!Harry stories that are now extremely dated. They'll all read like supermarket sweeps of every indy!Harry cliche that they could grab within the time allowed.

The one that springs to mind is Ascension of the Scorpion Sorcerer, by our dear friend Volorn666.

The only one I'd recommend is this: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1884275/1/Inquiring_Minds which I recall being good. But that was back in my indy!Harry phase, so maybe not. And it's abandoned.

9. ItsAProcess

ItsAProcess Fourth Year

Eh, I don't mind cliche's much, actually. Just so long as they aren't incredibly illogical and handled at least relatively well. I care more about writing style and a good plot/storyline/characterization. If the author uses tropes/cliches to get there it doesn't bother me.

Certainly not a point in their favor, though.

In the name of the Topic: Equal and Opposite and it's prequel-twoshot are a couple of my favorite fanfics out there, but unfortunately a rarely thought of pair. It's Dark!Harry, and fairly.. mature.. in content, so be warned if you're not fond of that sort of thing, folks.

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I wrote a vampire!harry/vampire!fem!blaise story, I suggest not reading it. Fairly confidant it is unique though :p
    :magic:

11. T3t

High Score:
    Equal and Opposite is fairly well-known on DLP given that Amerison is/was an active member on the site. Also pretty much the only decent Harry/Fem!Harry story out there..

12. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

Am I the only one who thinks that this needs to change?

Also, because I forgot it in my last post, Just Like Jesse James. I read this once ages ago and I still remember it as my favourite Harry/Luna fic.

13. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

14. T3t

High Score:
    No, you're not the only one. Harry/Fem!Harry would probably be one of my favorite ships if there were enough decent fics for it to even count, but as it is...

Dammit Sesc, go write Sister, Mine. Or something.

15. ItsAProcess

ItsAProcess Fourth Year

No, no you're not.

You know, it's kinda funny. I think I like the idea of Fem!Harry being Darker than he is. Perhaps not Evil ALA Equal and Opposite, but Darker nonetheless. I think I picture her as the ultimate 'Hot Slytherin Girl', Just with a very 'Harry' twist.

Wow, this conversation reminded me that we're (or at least I am) really perverted. Still, now I have a new idea to dream about writing.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  16. T3t

High Score:
    Harry/Fem!Harry isn't any more twisted than Harry/Lily - speaking of which... dammit Vash. And Big D. And yeah.

17. ItsAProcess

ItsAProcess Fourth Year

Every time I read that pairing listing frickin Bohemian Rhapsody pops into my head and won't go away till I listen to it.

That's one pairing I've never read a good fic of. And now am very curious. Dammit.

-Goes back to muttering over Harry/Fem!Harry hypotheticals.-

18. T3t

High Score:
    Harry/Lily? You've never read Oedipus Flower?

19. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I find BigD's 'Oedipus Mirror' vastly superior. Shame only about two chapters were completed.

20. T3t

High Score:
    Actually, I do too. I just thought he continued it?