1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wheel of Time TV Show

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by 9th Doctor, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's been years since I read the books and I considered rereading but decided I'd rather go in to the show without being heavily influenced by my enjoyment of the books.

That said, I strongly suggest the books. They have their flaws, but they are quintessential fantasy.

Which I would just offer this in enjoyment of the show...if there are moments where you're like "This is derivative of XYZ" or "this is such vanilla high fantasy"...recognize that this story heavily influenced other texts. If Tolkien is King of Fantasy, Wheel of Time is the Crown Prince and direct heir to that lineage.

2. RabidAsparagus

RabidAsparagus Fifth Year

Just watched the first episode...will put up more later but damn, the first thought in my head is:
    Mat? Perrin? Why the hell did the showrunners portray them like this? Matt is a klepto? Perrin's whole marital arc? Do they just...not understand the characters at all?

3. Arthellion

High Score:

I think they understand the characters for the most part.

They understand that, in the books, 90% of time with these characters is spent inside their heads. We get to see Perrin's thoughts and fears in his head in the book. We get to see the moral war inside of Mat inside his head.

In the books, most of this character growth and the core of these characters are in their thoughts.

So, the show runnerrs had to decide "how are we going to show this on television?"

I would've done it differently and I'm very disappointed in Mat (Not sure if its the actor or the script), but I understand the reason for the changes. It means for a viewing audience to empathize with Perrin when he is very hesitant to take up the axe as opposed to "Why the fuck are you so reticient, grab the weapon and fight!" Because I guarantee you that would be the complaint in future seasons without these changes made in episode one.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  4. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Mixed feelings on episode 1.

I like Rhand, and the scenery is gorgeous. Appreciate the nod to the book readers with the ending.

I’ll hold of on having an opinion on the show-only stuff. I’ll assume it’s there for a reason for now.

Not a big fan of Egwene, but then I never was in the books either. And was it just me or were some of these fight scenes very epilepsy-unfriendly?

On to episode numero dos!

5. Arthellion

High Score:
    My short review of first 3 episodes

My TLDR: 7.5 out of 10 for first 3 episodes.

Loved

-Josha as Rand. Of the younger actors, he nailed the character the best. Absolutely loved every scene with him and, of the characters, I felt he was most true to his book counterpart. I can easily see him carrying this show. He just has a natural charisma and presence that I can see covering the full range of who Rand is.

-Trollocs: I actually loved their design and how visceral they felt. Very terrifying.

-The One Power: Boom. I literally teared up as moraine devastated the Trollocs. The fight scene itself could've been done better, but the One Power made up for all of that. Probably best scene of magic I've ever seen on television.

-Thom. I actually really loved this version of Thom. The way he carried himself was just so on point.

Liked

-All the characters but Mat.

-Beautiful scenery and vistas.

-Manetheren!

-Subtlety of Moraine and Nynaeve

Disliked

-Mat. He lacks all of the heart from the original character. Idk. I'm actually happy we're getting an actor change. Maybe he can bring the gravitas to Mat's character.

-The Tinkers: They lacked the color I would've expected. Not bad...but kinda stilted.

-The changes (Mat's family/perrin's wife/female dragon). I understand why they made these changes. But I disliked it.

Hated

-The pacing. I hope future seasons have more like 10-12 episodes. 8 episodes is entirely too short. There were so many moments that could have added to the depth of the show like: Lan training Rand on the road. Moraine speaking with all of the 4 before the trolloc attack. etc. They really need more episodes in the season.

6. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I really liked Thom too! There was some talk about him being cut at some point which would’ve obviously been absolute stupidity, but I like this version of him as well.

The Manetheren song was pretty cool.

Mashadar didn’t look like much to me, but I honestly don’t mind the pacing.

Oh and the wolves are great!

7. RabidAsparagus

RabidAsparagus Fifth Year

Finished all three episodes now:

I liked Rand. I loved Rosamund Pike as Moiraine, but I've been a huge fan of hers for years and so may be a teensy bit biased. I liked the actor for Thom.

I hated the way they have gone with Mat. Didn't mind Egwene (if it turns out Rand isn't the Dragon though I'll be super pissed.) And I super duper hated the costuming. Everything being dark and muddy sucks. And the Whitecloaks looked...cheap. Just generic fantasy. They should have been dressed like soldiers in gleaming plate with the long cloaks that were described in the books.

I think that's my problem really. They've made it more (pop culture) medieval looking than the books. People in the books wear coats and breeches and tall boots and many patched cloaks (seriously a Gleeman with no cloak!) but here we don't get that and that's terrible.

Overall as its own thing 7/10. As a WoT adaption, more like a 4/10.

8. yargle

yargle Professor

I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but the entire time since it was announced I've been treating it mentally as either a different turning of the Wheel, or perhaps one of the worlds of if (flicker) and not the actual books themselves. WoT's nice that way.

9. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Having watched episodes 1 & 2 so far I have lots of opinions. Generally can sum it up as it being better than I'd expected, and even better than I'd hoped as well, though still falling far far short of what I wanted.

Lots of the changes made are silly and feel unnecessary. This means that they're unlikely to have a long term impact on the direction, but that raises the question of why even bother making those changes. Some are clearly to dumb down and speed up characters internal journeys into something which can fit into 8 episodes, others for the woke-lite agenda that's being pushed.

It's watchable enough. Book fans will be frustrated at times but still enjoy it, I think.

7/10 is fair when judging the show on its own merits.

10. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

It'll be great if this generates a fanfiction boom too.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

This is quite shitty. I mean, I won't lie and say I expected it to be anything good in this day and age, but some resemblance to the books I read ages ago would have been nice. Other than the horrible miscasts in terms of physical appearance itself, here's what I genuinely disliked about the three episodes shown so far:

Everything.

12. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm enjoying the show as its own thing, but that has to be (in part) that I read this book about...15 years ago, and I don't remember a whole lot of it. So I'm letting it stand by itself.

When I inevitably have to go re-read it, I'll probably sink into negativity, but for now, it's an engaging show.

13. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

So, mixed feelings here. I'm in the middle of a re-read, and I have only seen episode 1 so far, but here are my thoughts so far.

I like Rand. His actor was good, and I feel better about his portrayal having seen him in action. Even though he is shorter than Perrin. Also, he acknowledged that he was a simp. The first step to overcoming a problem is to acknowledge it, so there's that. [/end humor].

Perrin was OK. Somewhat bland, but then Perrin in the books wasn't exactly the life of any parties. I see the point of Perrin's wife, probably gonna use that trauma to justify his dislike/fear of the axe. But also, what was up with Perrin's wife? She was absent from Egwene's ceremony, Nynaeve made a special mention of it, and she was the one working the forge? Is she the blacksmith? Where is Master Luhann? #JusticefortheLuhanns.

Mat was.... I mean I didn't have any real problems with Mat's actor as such, but why the fuck did they choose to make his home life like that. Mat had a great home life, loving parents, annoying sisters, the whole deal. In fact, his father went all the way to the White Tower with Tam to look for his son. So, what the fuck was that? Also, he's a thief? Seriously? Mat was never a thief, and his gambling did not start till way later. And it was never as bad as the show made it out to be.

Padan Fain was also mishandled. You remember reading the Eye of the World? For most of that book, Padan was a pitiable character. A peddler, liked well enough by the Two Rivers folk, kidnapped by Trollocs, escaped and driven nearly mad and feral. He was a little suspicious, but it wasn't until Shienar that we find out that he's a Darkfriend. Here, they couldn't even bother to make him likeable.

Egwene....I have no thoughts about Egwene. I did not really like her in the books, and she made no impact here, even though they changed the story to say that she's also a Dragon Reborn candidate, and Moirraine outright counts her as a Ta'veren. As a side note, it really threw me when Moirraine mentioned 4 Ta'veren in the Two Rivers. Also, what was the point of her whole ceremony? Also, also, not every woman in Emond's field is a part of the Women's Circle, just like not every man is part of the Council. What the hell was that 'we welcome you to the women's circle' shit?

Nynaeve....wasn't born outside the Two Rivers, so far as I remember. Was she? The actor was...OK. Her anger seemed forced and on the whole I really hope she comes into her own because I really liked Nynaeve in the books. Also, just to clarify, I don't think anyone really thinks she's dead, do they? Also, also, even though we can be sure that she'll be back, but the people in the village didn't really seem to care that their Wisdom was taken by Trollocs, did they? Not one mention apart from Rand's question when he wanted someone to heal Tam. Not even a tear Egwene? With as close as you're supposed to be, as her almost apprentice?

Moirraine was one of my favorite characters. But I did not really like her actress here. She was clearly acting, (which...I know, but hopefully you know what I mean) and not living her character (*hem hem*). The background mystical music score did not help. Neither did her opening monologue (though her tone when talking about men definitely matches the spirit of male/female dynamics in WoT). Which was also misleading; anyone not familiar with the source material is bound to end up with a rather different interpretation of the events of the breaking going by that monologue.

As a side note, why did we get a scene with the Red Ajah and a male channeler being genteled but with no context? I mean, we don't know who those women in red were (other than probably Aes Sedai), just an oblique mention of the taint and the madness (again brought up in a way that anyone unfamiliar with the source material is unlikely to catch the actual implications, or even guess at the implications).

Lan was....there. Also, that dramatic entry, and did you really give your real name? And Moirraine's? And Marin recognized the serpent ring? Which Moirraine was openly wearing? Just....I know some things have to be sacrificed for the sake of pacing and brevity, but that whole segment was just....

As a side note, I always imagined the serpent ring as rather more discreet, but whatever. Also, Moirraine definitely packed her angreal, it got a special apperance and all, but they couldn't be bothered explaining anything about it, or even showing Moirraine using it, even once?

Tam was also...there. And pretty much immediately on his feet after being healed. That they cut out Rand's scrambling journey to get him to the Two Rivers is understandable, there is only so much time, but why did they cut out the whole delirious rambling that first clued Rand that he was adopted? Cause that shit is pretty integral to both Rand's character development, and to the story as a whole. But Nynaeve gets a special mention of being born outside the Two Rivers.

And doesn't Aes Sedai healing take a toll on the patient? That shit is always highlighted. How was Tam immediately awake and OK post healing? And Moirraine didn't come out too bad either, when in the books she was pretty much dead on her feet.

And did I miss something or did Moirraine just shrug of a big ass knife stabbing her in her shoulder?

Also, where the fuck is my 'Tale of Manetheren' (TM). I was really looking forward to it :(

Master Al'vere was not fat. I am deeply upset about this. (He was also not named, or properly introduced, but that is OK. He's just the mayor.)

Bela was not named. This is a travesty.

The women drinking in the Winespring Inn (which was also not even named, just like its owner) got a lot of focus and I'm just wondering who they're supposed to be? They even ganged up and stabbed a poor Trolloc to death with pitchforks. Way to go, gals?

A few other minor things bothered me (like Bel Tine being about the dead, rather than a harvest festival now), but despite what this long, mostly whining review implies, I thought the episode was pretty OK as it's own thing. I'm not exactly pulled in or invested, but I'm not against watching more episodes, so mission accomplished? (Yes, the low bar is low, and I'm more than a little salty about the changes so far, but I'm still hopeful that the show as a whole will manage to bring Jordan's vision to life. So, there.)

Like I said, mixed feelings. Someone please reassure me that I'm just being a whiny cunt reading too much into minor things and the following episodes are definitely much better. I'm still gonna watch them, but I'd like some reassurance here.

14. Arthellion

High Score:
    @The DarIm Id argue each episode is better than the previous one so far.

There are definite frustrations with the show as a fan of the books, but as a TV show? It’s pretty solid fantasy. End of third episode had myself and wife (non book reader) on edge of our seats and wanting more.

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

What does "solid fantasy" mean exactly in this case?

16. Arthellion

High Score:
    See my review above.

its leagues better than Shannara and Seeker.

I’d put it around or slightly above Witcher season 1. Below GOT season 1.

That said we’re only three episodes in. Have potential to be better or worse obviously by time season ends.

17. Tsar

Tsar Sixth Year DLP Supporter

It's a subpar adaptation, and mediocre television. I wouldn't watch it if I didn't enjoy Wheel of Time.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's watchable. The acting is okay and the dialogue doesn't make me want to punch the screen.

That said, cinematography, costuming, and special effects are all pretty bad. My predictions of "they'll have no budget because LOTR" seems pretty spot on.

19. Erzherzog_Karl

Erzherzog_Karl Squib

High Score:
    Well, Amazon hoped for the next Game of Thrones and in some way they got their wish. Sadly, it is more on the level of the later seasons (6, 7 and 8) then the early ones.

For a book adaption, it is currently (3/8) a decent 3/10 or a generous 4/10. As a normal series, it is a bland 5/10 or 6/10.

It is kind of obvious where the money went. Quite clearly in the amazing backgrounds and settings. They have to be mentioned and are amazing to look at. The same cannot be said for the costumes. Some look like they came directly from Amazon and were just taken out of the box.
    The White Cloaks look like young wuxia masters from an Asian drama, instead of like knights. And these...let's call it liberties in design and costume choices continue. Gleemen cloak? Like it is not like magic is needed to keep to such obvious design requirements from the book.

Aes Sedai:...where is my eye candy? They don't all have to be ethereal beauties, but is some eye candy really too much to ask? Instead of getting a group that looks like they came from their last Botox operation.

Regarding the actors, Rand has me positively surprised. The actor delivers and I could see him actually pulling a good to truly great Rand off. Egwene has the smug look down and I thought her portrayal was decent, even though I fear to hear the words of her being the actual dragon. The remaining cast was either decent to hamstrung by the script. With the exception of Moiraine. I found her portrayal absolute lackluster. No gravitas, mystery or presence. Most blatant was it in the scene with Nynaeve in the sacred cave, the whole scene felt staged instead of natural. And the same accusation can be thrown on her whole acting.

Music: Honestly underwhelming. Nothing catchy or really mind-blowing. I would consider even the Witcher Soundtrack better, right now.

CGI: As said, you see where the money went and it was not the direct magic cgi, but the backgrounds. These are great, but the magic itself less so.

Script Quality: It is not on the Witcher level of pacing issues, but it comes close. Overall, many hamfisted decisions and changes from the original source seem arbitrary or look like they will either be ignored in the future or just be meme material. Overall, it was a horrible decision to go for an 8 episode format. It forced even more constrains on an already constrained format (book adaptations).

As a bad example, there is the gay question from the bar maid. The question itself is weird, when she makes two beds and has already the intention to seduce Rand. She already had her hair made to resemble Egwene's before she even made the beds. Meaning, she never thought of him as gay or why else would she try the path of seduction. You could have easily gone for such a question before she makes the beds, like asking if they will be sharing a bed or not, when they asked for a place to sleep.
    It is like they set up the scene and knew what they wanted, the attempted seduction and imprisonment of Rand, and then came someone along and said wait a minute...here make an allusion to being gay being totally okay for Rand and everyone else there. His reaction is also the classical response from the shepherd from a backwater town...not. I mean, I know enough people at university age that would have a stronger reaction than our shepherd boy here.

Personally, I am strongly doubtful of the changes to the backstory of the main characters ending up being in any kind of way a significant factor. Either they will take the train further and further off the canon rails or jump back on it as if nothing happened. I don't know which scenario is more terrifying.

Regarding lore, there are likely far more knowledgeable members here, I just felt my head shaking far too often for an adaptation. It felt like the theme and atmosphere of the books was not given any thought and they decided to make it their thing from the beginning.
    Considering that the episodes did become somewhat better, I am open to being positively surprised by the remaining episodes of season one, but I don't have high hopes.

20. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

I think the narrative they have chosen for the TV show has much more chance to succeed than one tight-close to the books would have, simply because of the pace of the plot we were shown in the first three episodes. It is fairly plot driven, and because of that worldbuilding and characters suffer - and so do the tidbits crucial for their development.

However, as they've already shown us the difference between book and tv show, I feel like they'd be able to pull the same level of development through the more-plot-focused points, because if they want to keep current pace there just isn't enough screen time to do justice to Jordan's idea and characters. I think they recognized this, and figured it wouldn't be sustainable in the long run, so they've changed enough to keep it still recognizable as WoT world, but with enough leeway to have strong points of its own.

The more I think about it, the more I feel the approach to the show should be done with greater benefit of doubt, as one would have reading a fanfiction that strays into AU, but not as deeply to make its status as a ff redundant. For what is worth, I think I'll be to enjoy it for what it is, rather than for what it could be, because, in all honesty, there's no way in hell they will ever come close to the idea, the world, I had in mind when I was reading the books.

My main drawback is the sacrifice of some characters so the main cast could have their justice, but because I'm fine with Moraine, and Rand is really good in my opinion, I can get over it. So yeah, I found the show engaging, and am looking forward to see what will they do with it.

Could be I found it better than it is because I hadn't expect much to begin with, but I guess it's better than the other way around. So far - so good.