1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Where is your name from?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xanatos, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

Just wandered where all your names come from

Mine comes from a character out of a Star Wars book, who happens to be the coolest dark jedi in the entire saga(s), and is in my avatar

2. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Guest

Well as previously stated in my oh so glorius intro.
    My name is from Norse mythology. And apparently I got it wrong in my intro. It is apparently the end of the entire cosmos, not just the world. Anyway, in Norse mythology it means "The Doom of the Gods"

3. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

quite impressive i must say

4. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

My name is Indo da Ghost.
    Indo-
    pref.
    India(because i'm indian); East Indies: Indochina.
    Indo-European: Indo-Hittite.

And Ghost because i like ghosts

5. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

i dont know where mine came from
    oh wait i have somewhat of an idea
    lets see all the best bad guys have those red evil eyes hence redeye
    now the 108 comes from suikoden and the 108 stars of destiny and i just kind of threw that on there at the end incase anyone had taken redeye already.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Giovanni.

I got my name from Giovanni di Bicci de' Medici.

For more information on him go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medici

Well actually he is just the first of many influential Itallians named Giovanni.

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Xipho, from the Macedonian Infantry sword.

8. UnholyWarlord

UnholyWarlord Fourth Year

The Great Icy wasteland that is known as Canada
    Unholy because people seem to mistake for a me for demon or a dark sorecerer and warlord because my real name means ether "Warrior" in Middle German(c. 1400-1800) or "Warlord" in old German and finally "Savage General" in Celtic

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Originally Vash The Unholy I took it from Trigun ( one of the best animes avalible)...

Though taking a suggetion from a reviewer... im thinking of changing it to Vash de Sade after Marquis de Sade

10. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

My imagination. Seriously, I just made it up. I was originally going to use it in Dakaath by having Harry act as a second Dark Lord as his alter ego in order to spread more chaos around magical Britain, but eventually opted against it. I might still use it at some point, but I don't think Harry needs to go through all the formalities in order to cause trouble from the shadows. He does it well enough as he is currently. Regardless, don't be surprised to see it pop up when he and his creatures raid Hogwarts later on.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Syaoran Li from Cardcaptors. Just added the Dark because I felt like it. Heh.

12. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Lord, because I consider myself above the common riff-raff in this damnable country (United States). Ravenclaw, because when I'm interested in something, I love to learn about it. I simply can't get enough of subjects I'm interested in, such as PHP (programming language) or MySQL (database server), useful mathematics, English, other foreign languages, and more. Ravenclaws in my opinion would also be sly and cunning, and that fits me rather well.

13. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I made it up for an online game character that used necromancy.

I played around with the words necro, cruel, and pain until I got Necrule Paen.

14. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Inside joke with friends. Started from a East Asian Film class, talking about 'nihonjinron' or something like that. A word that refers to Japanese uniqueness, or things that sort of define their culture. Well apparently the early class time (last class before 11:00 I ever took) coupled with substances college kids have been purported to abuse makes 'nihonjinron' a fun word to mispronounce. Eventually whittled down to just 'nonjon', the word took on a meaning not dissimilar to mularky, balderdash, or poppycock. Frequently, a sore loser in Mario Kart 64, would moan and complain about "What a bunch of nonjon!"

That, and I was hoping no one had ever used it before. I gotta be me.

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Mine is just a mixture of my first, middle, and last names. I have another one that I usually use, but I decided to use this. I'm thinking of changing it to Jolly Rancher though, to match my writing name.

16. nonjon

For what it's worth, with the name 'Jolly Rancher', I always figured you were a chick.

And when are you ever going to update Tangibility of Magic?

17. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

i thought the same thing

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

19. nonjon

Nothing to overtly bad by any means. I think about any candy/sweets reference, particularly one with a happy/cheery "jolly" name leans that way, especially in a fandom with an overabundance of teenage girls. I mean if you read something in Harry Potter fanfic from an author named "Bubblegum Lollipop", manly man isn't the first thing you think of.

Sort of like putting "Malfoy" in your username. It's not always, but if you want you can generalize, more often than not that the person likes to sometimes put on Peter Murphy and have themselves a good "cry". Or at least will once they grow up. Give them a couple more years to embrace the counterculture.

Of course, if when you were fourteen you had a hot substitute teacher ask you to stay after class and they blew you with a jolly rancher in their mouth, and *that's* why you chose that name, then I wouldn't care how feminine it sounds: it's brilliant. Just make sure the substitute teacher's wife doesn't find out. She might read HP fanfic.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

:?: