1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Where to stab someone.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Hira.Humbert, May 17, 2008.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Oh, how I love this. DLP: the one place where you can ask questions like that and are not looked at funnily. Or at least not more than usual. (I mean, can't you just imagine the situation in RL -- So, guys, if I wanted to, like, stab someone, but didn't want him to die yet, how would I do it? Err, that is to say, not me, but rather, I want to write about someone, and he wants to ... Riiiiiiiight.)

Anyway, this has been helpful for me as well, but I have some more questions (that I'm asking this while writing BTLCL is purely coincidental. Really. Really really).

If I were to blast off or cut out someones throat (you know, the front part, voice box and what have you -- I'm afraid that this is where my English begins to leave me) -- would that person die instantly? Or could I at least keep them alive for a few more minutes (through whatever means, after all, we have magic).

Well, I'd need the heart still beating for like a minute or two. The rest isn't important. Also, what would be a realistic reaction? A fountain of blood, because that's where the carotid is?

Sorry if that sounds dumb, but I never was all that great in biology (took chemistry in school instead, besides physics).

And then, to remove that heart, what is in the way? You cut away the flesh, then cut out some parts of the ribcage, and then you see the heart?

I hope we have some med-experts here :)

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Rip out someone's throat and they'll die very quickly because you're completely cutting off the supply of blood to their brain. I'd imagine they'd have a few seconds before they die, and they wouldn't be able to scream. Blood would probably come out in spurts that get progressively weaker and less frequent. I'm not a doctor, so I could be wrong, this is just what I think would happen.

And the heart is in the centre of the chest about nipple height, with the largest part usually to the left (some people have it the other way round). It's directly underneath the breastbone which will break during CPR.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I love how the jackeen knows how to murder someone professionally...it's so stereotypical.

4. Oz

Actually, you've got that the wrong way round. I was on a life-saving course last year. I have a little piece of paper saying I can give CPR, MTM, the abdominal thrust, bandage someone and put limbs in makeshift splints.

Fun fact: The Heimlich maneuver was renamed the abdominal thrust, because dumb Americans were suing Heimlich for broke ribs when it was performed incorrectly on them.

5. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

To get to the heart, you have to go through the ribs - they are tough, and well-reinforced. Plan on a saw and a short pry bar, at the minimum. You might well have to take time out to sharpen the blade, as well. A power saw and some sort of crank device would be a better bet.
    If you want to get to the heart without going through the ribs (up through the abdomen,) Be Very Careful not to nick the stomach or gall bladder. You'll spill contaminates.
    This is just what I can think of offhand.

What the hell are you writing about, anyway?

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  6. Oz

O_O What the hell do you do in your spare time, Banner?

7. Seratin

High Score:
    Netgirls. Don't fuck with them.

8. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

I thought this was the place where we don't get looked at oddly.

9. Sesc

Well, not by me, at any rate.

Bellatrix on a mission, obviously ... ;D

No, I think the way through the ribs will do just fine. And there is no need for a saw, Banner. What are cutting spells for? ;) Although -- working with a pry bar sounds cool (actually a pry bar is just that cool in general, at least since Half-Life).

What would I do with it, pulling the broken ribs out?

But yeah, my main problem was that I didn't know if there still was something between ribs and heart. From what I read at wikipedia, it sounds like there is just some sort of sac around it and the lungs next to it. Oh and wouldn't you know, I just realised that we are talking about a female heart. Completely forgot about that o_O

Well, damn. Any ideas on how long the heart would continue beating?

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  10. Oz

I asked Tinn in irc and this is what came of it;

<Oz> Tinn:If I ripped out your throat, how long would your heart keep beating?
    <Oz> :)
    <Oz> Hypothetically of course
    <Mors> Of course
    <Tinn>Oz: not long, because it would quickly pump all the blood out of my severed carotids, and this at high pressure and speed.
    <Oz> I know..
    <Oz> But I'm thinking about 10 seconds though?
    <Tinn> I don't know the exact mechanisms.

Make of it what you will. I think it's about 10 seconds, but Tinn (the actual med student) doesn't know.

11. Seratin

High Score:
    Why go for the throat? Just crucify the bastard, much more entertaining.

12. Sesc

Oz:

Well, that does help, actually. It means I will have to stop the bleeding by somehow sealing the open carotids, to gain a little more time. (Random spell for that) And that should be long enough, then.

Thanks for the help, to Tinny as well. I hope she doesn't think you're planning something, now...

Seratin:

No, the point of it all is what Oz mentioned
    Bellatrix feels disturbed while working, so Muggle gets shut up.

13. Oz

It was no problem on my part, and Timm seemed to take it all in stride :D

14. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Actually, you can go for the throat without killing them really damn quick. It's possible to do permanent damage to the voice box without chopping up the carotids, I know that much. And it may be able to stab a hole in the trachea to make breathing quite difficult and painful without necessarily killing them. Remember, artistic licence is your friend. Doesn't have to be dead on as long as it's close. Especially when magic's involved.

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, after all.

15. Seratin

High Score:
    Oh yes because a silencio is just so difficult.

16. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

Just remember when slitting someone's throat(especially a man's) don't lean the head backwords like they do in movies. If you lean their head backwords it bunches up all the neck muscles making it a bitch and a half to slice through. It also leaves a very good chance that you will just end up slicing only the muscles and miss the artery entirely. When slicing someones throat if you have them in a hold from behind, put the knife blade against their neck then lean their head forward and down. Then slice their neck in one quick motion.

17. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Silencio is so ... ordinary. Moreover, where's the challenge in it?

@Immolo:
    That was interesting, and easy to understand. Thank you.

18. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Immolo, the whole leaning-the-head-back thing is meant to direct the arterial spray away from you so you don't get covered in blood. If you're sneaking up on someone from behind with intent to kill, chances are you've got a damn sharp blade and can easily get enough leverage to saw through the muscles.

19. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Too bad Bellatrix wouldn't be caught dead with a taser. That would be a fast and easy way to take someone down for a quiet murder.

20. Oz

I hereby officially dub this thread,

FUCKING AWESOME!