1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Which HP Potions would you abuse the hell out of in real life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Majube, May 3, 2020.

1. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You get to choose a vial of ONE potion that always fills up again the very next day. So you only get one dose of that specific potion only, everyday, which means that it can’t really be used optimally for commercial reasons.

- Felix felices without a doubt is what I would have no problem downing every day even though it's addictive and has the silly side-effect of making people too confident/risk-taking. Imo that's well worth the trade of always being lucky.

So you only get one dose a day, which means that it can’t really be used commercially I think.

Speaking of this, if my goal really was to make money my first guesses would be to use the elixir of life from philosopher's stone, or euphoric potion or youth potion. I'd try and sell it for exorbitant prices to rich people I guess.

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well if Elixir of Life counts as a potion, yeah thats an obvious one.

Felix Felicis gives you bad luck after taking it though, so I'm so keen on that. Might be handy on occasion, but not an every day thing.

The most useful thing I could see me wanting to use every day is a Sleeping Potion of some sort. Guaranteed restful night of sleep, particularly for a defined length of time, would be so incredibly useful. Lay down at midnight, down the potion. Wake up at 7am fresh and rested. That'd be amazing.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, Elixir of Life is broken. Unlimited health and wealth. Game over.

Felix Felicis I wouldn't want to take every day and suffer the bad effects, but honestly, take it once before entering a big lottery rollover and you're set for life.

Other strong choices are:

- Beautification Potion
    - Calming Draught (great for anxiety)
    - Draught of Peace (the same)
    - Elixir to Induce Euphoria
    - Essence of Dittany
    - Pepperup Potion (never have a respiratory illness again...)
    - Invisibility Potion
    - Laxative Potion (to sell to @Seratin )
    - Strengthening Solution (superhero time?)
    - Wit-sharpening potion

Overall I think my top 5 is:

1. Elixir of Life
    2. Felix Felicis (two be used twice: one to win a large lottery jackpot, once before going speed dating to find the perfect partner)
    3. Wit-Sharpening Potion (basically makes you a genius for life, since you have enough for a dose a day)
    4. Beautification Potion (if you can't be clever for life, you might as well be pretty for life)
    5. Invisibility Potion (not very useful, but has the greatest fun potential)

4. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Trying to profit off your magical potion would probably end up with it stolen or you dead, so I'd just keep it to myself.

Hard to wrong with Felix Felicis. It has side effects, but you don't need to take it every day. Considering how incredibly hard it is to brew, and what we saw in canon, it's clearly a very powerful and useful potion.

Elixir of Life is obviously insanely valuable, but I wonder how you'd go about hiding your immortality.

I wonder how many people would pick a love potion, like Amortentia. Well, if Pottermore is canon, I think there was that beautification potion? And the games had an invisibility potion. Those could be nice.

Still, I'd go with liquid luck.

5. Khaine

Khaine Fourth Year

High Score:
    Having Truth serum at hand strikes me as something that could be used to great effect in some cases.

6. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Pottermore is canon, but the beautification potion only appears in video games.

7. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

I've always liked the idea that, in the world of Harry Potter, you have a certain amount of Luck in your life that will always end up balancing out, so you'll end up equally lucky as you will unlucky by the time you die. Felix Felicis, in my headcanon, doesnt make you lucky and that's it, but it means that you create a debt of luck that will reap its revenge in due time, in exchange for granting you good luck on command for important events.

If we're going by my headcanon, I'd not choose Liquid Luck, I'd choose the beautification potion, because getting equally unlucky as winning the lottery is lucky sounds awful. If however, the limits we hear about in canon are the only drawbacks to Felix, it's the easy and obvious choice.

8. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Oh this is easy, I’ve not read the other replies yet so I’m sure someone’s nabbed it already, but, that locket-guarding Dumbledore-torturing Voldemort home brew.

9. Miner

Miner Order Member

Elixir of Life doesnt make you wealthy, just immortal. It's not the Philosopher's stone. I also think immortality is incredibly overrated, so I probably wouldnt go for it.

I might go for Polyjuice.

10. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Are there any side effects?

I seemed to remember there being some kind of draw back to luck potion.

I'd probably go for wit potion myself if there was no side effects.

11. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Immortal is a synonym for wealthy. As is girthy for that matter.

12. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I am not sure if the immortality the elixir grants is that desirable, since Crimes of Grindelwald clearly shows that it doesn't stop aging.

13. Dryops

Dryops Second Year DLP Supporter

It depends if you are strict on one vial, or one dose. If one vial, Sleekeazy's Hair Potion. It only needs a few drops to work, and could be easily hidden. I'd start a high end hair salon for celebrities, and make a nice income without making myself too noticeable like some of the other potions would.

14. WierdFoodStuff

WierdFoodStuff Slug Club Member

I went through harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_potions to find these, usually I only consider the books and the movies (provided it doesn't contradict the former) to be canon but I'll make an exception here.

Memorypotion: boosts mental cognition and improves memory.
    Mopsus potion: gives one seer-like power, and from the description the ability to manipulate objects telekinetically.
    Swelling Solution: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'd pick the Mopsus potion.

15. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

Firewhiskey, sell it to thrill seekers like its the Carolina Reaper.

16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If the pepper up potion deals with allergies as well as the common cold then I'd basically mainline that shit.

17. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Harry makes a potion of euphoria in HPB. That'd be okay.

18. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

The Draught of Peace would be a good one too. Market it to the anxious. Skelegrow would be nice too, but only if it also heals broken bones. It wouldn't be much use to us muggles if the bone had to be vanished.

(As an aside, how great would it be if Gilderoy Lockhart inadvertently created a curse that can remove bones? Brackium Emendo, bitch *your enemy flops over because he's missing a femur*)

19. Kevizoid

Kevizoid Seventh Year

A love potion would be an interesting choice for a couple reasons.

1) For all the rape. (jk)
    2) To dose yourself with. It would be interesting to see how being able to feel intense love for someone on command would work out. Taure mentioned lucky speed dating to find a good partner. A love potion could theoretically result in a similar effect. You could also potentially convince yourself to keep taking it. After all you wouldn't want the feeling to go away once you were in it.
    3) Using it on others to gain advantage for yourself - i.e. give it to an interviwer who now really really wants you to give you that awesome job.

I mostly wanted to answer something other than lol live forever, infinite gold, be happy all the time.

20. GravityAP

GravityAP First Year

i think elixir of life is the obvious choice here but that's a bit broken so i would probably go with Felix Felicis.

Good luck can get you a pretty far in life. Obviously its not an every day thing but i doubt a couple times a year would have many side effects.
    Need money? Buy a lottery ticket or blindly pick a penny stock.
    Need love? Speed dating or even just walking into a bar and you the first person you talk to could be something special.
    Need a job? Take a little before the interview or when searching and submitting applications.
    Tough test coming up? The questions will be on material you know.

The applications are near limitless as long as you have self control.