1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Who are DLP?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Celestin, Aug 31, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

That strikes me as a tad unfair, Pers. While I agree with the sentiment that the thread is pointless, the site means different things for different people. If someone comes to the site largely due to the IRC community, then that's how they will view DLP as.

Just as others will only view DLP as a place where certain authors post stories, or others will view it as a compendium of funny pictures to sift through when bored. The community is comprised of all of those people as a whole, even as the individuals may come here for different reasons, and view the forum different ways.

The not-so-subtle dig wasn't necessary, just as this thread wasn't. (That goes both ways, both from the quoted post, and you, of course.)

2. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Case in fucking point, seeing as how it's already got Pers' panties in a bunch. And normally we would never have had a problem.

3. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

I agree with Eidolonic, Pers. The only reason I'm not on IRC all the time is because Xiph banned me. And unless it's changed since then, you were never on IRC to...

Wait, I just realized you were being sarcastic. Carry on.

Nobody is DLP; DLP just is.

4. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

When I saw this I thought the OP was trying to suck up to the aforementioned people on his post...

I came to DLP because of the Voice of the Nephilim mentioning it at some point in an AN.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter ā­

:awesome

You're not mad at me are you Pers? You know I love you. I'd much prefer that you became an IRC regular than just posting on the forums. I just have little interaction with people on the board and therefore they don't mean as much to me as the people I make connections with that visit IRC regularly. Its always gonna be that way, no matter what.

6. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I disagree. That's one person's opinion, he certainly doesn't speak for the board. You're letting your own biases and past opinions on the whole IRChole vs whatever the fuck that Fight Club thing you guys had going on cloud your opinion. Zombie barely posts on the forums. When he does, it's always a WbA post or something to that extent. And if he does post, it's more often than not to troll. He really shouldn't be your measuring stick. Just like the forums, IRC is made up of a variety of people who act very differently from one another.

It's true, people on IRC are closer to each other (I mean, it's the internet, so you're not that close) than they are to people on the forums. But that's because it's so much easier. Communication is instant and isn't spread out over time. We hear personal shit on IRC, something which rarely comes up on boards. It's just easier to cultivate relationships that way.

But there are people on the forums who never frequent IRC that got close to each other. You and Jbern. The rest of that club. I believe Nukular Winter, Chuck, and that one black chick, who's name I don't remember because she doesn't come on anymore, had an awesome time in NYC one weekend, didn't they? There may be others I don't even know about, I dunno.

I mean, look at the posts that listed names. A lot of those names aren't IRC regulars. And those posts were made by people definitely not IRC regulars. So your statement in regards to this thread is definitely unfair, Pers. :\

(especially considering you were named more than me or any other IRC regular :p)

Also, it baffles my mind that someone actually put Ellisande in their list. I would hate for DLP to be known as a forum of white knighters. :(

8. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Man, where have you been Big D? I thought you abandoned us awhile ago...

9. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Man fuck you

I know you love me hoe

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Not mad at all, Zombie. We're cool. I thought you made a good point was all.

To the rest: I'm just calling it like I see it, not trying to bait anyone, get all passive aggressive, be sarcastic, or whatever. I actually don't mind my standing on the site, though I do wish I could use IRC more. (I can't while at work and my home-computing hours are crap, irregular, and rarely involve big enough blocks of time to not feel like the world's biggest out-of-place loser when I do come on--and yeah, cue obligatory "but you are a big out-of-place loser, Pers" comments).

My point was merely to amplify Zombie's: if you think you understand DLP culture, which is what this thread is nominally about, and don't account for the primacy of IRC in establishing connections with others on the site (even if you don't use IRC yourself), then you really don't. I don't myself think I belong on a list of DLP "fixed stars", in large part because I just don't have those connections. It's not a value judgment thing, it just is.

Have any mods or people in leadership positions been promoted in recent years from among those who don't frequent IRC? I'm drawing a blank if there are. If not, then it sort of establishes that the leaders of the site, those whose very actions and decisions define the forum, are taken from that pool of core users.

Edit: Meh, Sree.

11. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Low ebb on my eternal pendulum swings through the DLPverse. I've vanished before, and I always find my way back eventually. Had to come and see this after the bitchfit it caused on IRC.

12. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

I are DLP.

13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I write this long post and all I get is a Meh.

14. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Well, glad to see you back on the forums. Maybe stay a little longer this time around the bend.

15. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm confused. Were you here for the last time he was around? I'm relatively certain it says you joined in July.

16. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Just let this shitty thread die.

17. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I love how popularity contests on a fanfiction forum have shit all to do with fanfiction.

18. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

I'm just waiting for Gio and deathinapinkboa to dust off their measuring tapes.

19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed, we'll all be seeing who has the bigger asshole soon. :awesome

20. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter ā­

Cause even though you call me a troll, Narf, and how infatuated you are with me, I mean more to DLP than you do. :33333

Not open for further replies.