1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Whodunit Movies

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Skeletaure, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Watched "Knives Out" last night and enjoyed it a lot. I also enjoyed "Murder on the Orient Express" back when it came out in 2017 but the mystery itself isn't my favourite.

What other whodunit movies would you recommend?

I'm specifically thinking of the Agatha Christie style murder mystery model, not just any film centred around solving a murder or a mystery. A great cast is also a plus.

"Gosford Park" is meant to be pretty good. And "Death on the Nile" coming in February 2022.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's the obvious 'The Girl on the Train' and 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' options. Both have been lauded for their brilliance, which is well deserved.

If you're looking at TV shows as well, Broadchurch is also an obvious pick. David Tennant does an excellent job in it and the suspense is masterfully built up over the course of the series.

3. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Don't know how well it has aged, but I use to always love watching Clue. The comedy classics are the best.

4. dudeler

dudeler High Inquisitor

High Score:
    There are a ton of old Poirot and Sherlock Holmes movies, if you don't mind old productions.

5. LucyInTheSkye

LucyInTheSkye Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

Seconding old Agatha Christies and the Millenium trilogy for films. There were a few remakes recently of Christies stuff, Crooked House from 2017 (best mystery Christie ever wrote, fight me), then miniseries for BBC by the same director who did Casual Vacancy; Witness for the Prosecution, Then There Were None, Ordeal by Innocence, ABC Murders and Pale Horse, they're from the last few years, lots of famous faces and new solutions to some of the stories.

How are you with subtitles and Tv-series rather than films? Swedish tv has done loads and loads, Beck and Wallander are long running shows, I prefer Beck for the humour and for Mikael Persbrandt, but they're fairly similar.

Very much in the vein of both Knives Out and old Christies is the Crimes of Passion tv-series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimes_of_Passion_(TV_series) think it was on Netflix over here. Looks great, 50s clothing, proper whodunnits, not massively depressing.

More gritty is Bron/Broen, Danish and Swedish collab, similar feel to Millennium. Several series, the first one is particularly good, actors do a fantastic job. There's Ófærð if you want to try Icelandic, called Trapped in English. I think there's three series of it.

They've just finished a new Christie-adjacent series on the Åland islands, no idea if it's out worldwide or not, but it was recently on TV here. Agatha Christies Sven Hjerson. Can't find a wiki page for it so likely it's not had an official release outside Finland and Sweden yet.

Babylon Berlin is a good one if German is alright for you, it's a bit like Mad Men meet Agatha Christie but with nudity.

English ones Broadchurch is great, Foyle's War is alright but getting on in years, Bletchley Park Circle is alright. I recently watched a Scottish one, Traces, which was good and also a Welsh one (first time ever hearing spoken Welsh, was fascinating) Craith/Hidden, but that one maybe was less of a mystery and more thriller. Similar to that last one is the old one with Jamie Dornan, more thriller than actual mystery. The Fall. Marcella first season I thought was good, again more gritty than something like Knives Out so maybe not an exact fit.

The Cleaner with Greg Davies is quite funny, German original Der Tatortreiniger perhaps a bit sharper. The humour takes front seat over the whodunnit part.