1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WI Harry Potter was a pureblood?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Hidden94, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hidden94

Hidden94 Squib

How would you make Harry Potter into a pureblood wizard? Who would he grow up with? What would be his views on blood purity? Which house would he be sorted into? Who would be his friends?

Can a Mod move this to the correct forum please?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This sounds like a crap fic summary. And if he were a pureblood his story would be changed too much because Lily wouldn't be his mother.

3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

By marrying James to a pureblood witch.(If you still want James as his father)

With his blood relatives I guess. After all there are bound to be some relatives on his mother's side.

(Considering that due to prophecy, he will once again vanquish Voldemort due to his mother's love)

A perfectly normal view, until and unless his mother's relative were death eaters. (I don't see James marrying in that sort of family)

Depends on his upbringing and natural tendencies. His friends would be children of his age group in his family or his house mates later on.

4. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I feel like the least butchery way to do this is just make the Evanses into a (poor?) pureblood family, though it's sort of a cop out. With the prophecy and all Voldemort still has plenty of reason to murder Lily and James on his way to getting offed by baby Harry.

The upside to this will be that Petunia is a pureblood witch with dubious control of the Potter holdings, which will change Harry's whole childhood.

5. Dr_Orpheus

Dr_Orpheus First Year

Petunia could be a squib and still hate Harry just as much as she does in canon.

6. Hidden94

Hidden94 Squib

Well lets say that Lucius Malfoy had a younger sister named Regina Malfoy and she would seduce... umm I mean marry James Potter.

7. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    meh sounds like a shitty OC to me, bitter Petunia with Department of Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Vernon sounds better to me, he can be a halfblood who hates the trouble his muggle mother's heritage causes him, but could never bring himself to hate her.

8. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

*Head lands on the keyboard with a thud*

.kjfu/laejfl :facepalm

9. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Not really, as far as we know Lily isn't that special. Well, to be fair she was special in the sense that she was willing to die for her child but that was about it. It was Voldemort that made the decision and he'll stay static.

And the other change would be Harry's guardians and honestly I don't mind seeing something new there.

10. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

I thought Harry was a pureblood. Because his father was a wizard and is mother was a witch? Isn't that the definition of a pureblood?

11. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

No, we see in canon that Harry is called a halfblood because his mother is muggleborn. I always assumed it was because in the eyes of the purebloods a muggleborn was the same as a muggle. A family would probably only be considered pureblood after no one remembers that there was a muggleborn in it at some point.

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Wat. It's said all the time in the books. Especially in regards to Voldemort o_O

Also, it's perfectly simple. If Harry is a pureblood, he'll be a racist Malfoy-style. Because anything that's not radically different from how he now is makes the change pointless. I see no use in randomly making him a pureblood (which requires some huge fucking changes) when he in the end still ends up behaving along the general lines of Canon.

Oh, and keep the Dursleys out of the story. Witch!Petunia is just what.

13. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Unless Lily comes from a long line of squibs that date back to Rowena Ravenclaw's daughter.

14. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

I think your a pureblood if both sets of grand-parents are witches/wizards.

What I think too. Otherwise you would be changing so much just for what would essentially be a name tag.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    All of DLP just shuddered in disgust.

16. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

This might seem besides the point, but why does he need to be a pureblood at all, as long as he thinks he is? The point of a story like that is that he is brought up and behaves like a pureblood. You can manipulate parentage all you like, but it seems just useless me. If Harry in canon was brought up like a Muggle, he could just as well have been brought up like a pureblood.

Which I'm sure has been done many times, and I've probably read some of them even if I can't think of a good fic with that particular device. In terms of what his views on blood-purity are, I would look at slytherin Harry fics. He doesn't have to be as racist as Malfoy, but he has to have ingrained prejudice, otherwise it's not really worth the trouble.

So basically, it's been done before.
    Yes, that too.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I do wonder, though. If squib and a muggle have non-magical offspring, what is the correct term for that offspring? Squib or Muggle? I lean towards Muggle. Reasoning:

1. Squibs and Muggles are biologically and magically identical.

2. Squib is a social term and does not map onto anything biological or magical, except for lack of magic.

3. The meaning of squib is a Muggle born from magical parents.

4. If a squib and a Muggle have a child, neither of the parents are magical.

5. Therefore, their child is not a squib.

6. Therefore, their child is a Muggle (or a wizard).

So being born from "a long line of squibs" is still being Muggleborn.

18. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

If you want to write about a pureblooded Harry, just write about Neville.

19. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Magically identical?
    Squibs can see magical creatures to at least some extent and Muggles can't.

On dementors, muggles and squibs (sounds almost like a very bad joke) in book 5:

Squib
    Muggle
    So unless Dumbledore was trolling the Ministry of magic through Mrs. Figg, there IS a magical difference between the two.

Unless seeing magical beings and not seeing them doesn't count as magical train in your definition :p

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  20. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

I don't think you need anyone to answer that one for you.

Please refer to the Squib = Muggle? thread.