1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Wicca Wizard by PeaceThroughSuperiorFirepower - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Johnny Farrar, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Title: Wicca Wizard
    Author: PeaceThroughSuperiorFirepower
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Suspense
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: None
    Summary: HP/Buffy. Taken from the streets of London Harry Potter is trained as a Watcher but will he defend those who abandoned him to hell on earth when they find him after having thought him dead for ten years. Continued for Wardog71
    Link: Wicca Wizard

I've been following this story for a while and liked the beginning. Despite the over intelligent Harry, it was quite enjoyable. But the latter chapters are much more rough. Didn't really like Dumbledore, he seems like a caricature in the fic. And the main problem that I've found so far is Harry's characterisation. The bad boy thing has been done by many, while the author doesn't completely fail like most do, its nothing extraordinary either. The only author who managed to pull it off was Shezza.

Overall, a fairly good story, if a bit tedious at times. The writing is okay but there is definitely room for improvement. The action while good is not exceptional and the over emphasis of Dark Magic is kind of boring.

2. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

No, thank you.

I couldn't get past the whole 'I'm James Henry Giles not Harry James Potter' bit. Why not write an OC into Buffy with insane magical powers?

I also thought that wizarding children had the ability to cast spells withheld from them because they lacked control, I.E.: Accidental Magic.
    (right off the bat 'Jimmy' has firm control over his 'power')

Also, while the author says he wishes to avoid cliches he used one anyways; the whole "Harry was abandoned as a child and picked up by some major character from the crossover series so the author can cross their skills with wand-waving."

Edit:
    I also believe their time-line used to match up the two universes is completely askew.

3. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Do. Not. Like.

So far, this story drags. A lot. Jimmy is an OC. He's been mentored by a ton of OCs, who all die horrible horrible deaths. Occaisonally, a character such as Giles or Dumbledore will pop into a scene, but I think Alexandra Quick so far has more canon characters present.

That said, OCs can be redeemed if the story can pick up the slack. This story doesn't. So far characerterization has been weak. The only character we're consistently exposed to is "Jimmy", who has miraculously developed into a burned out bad-ass by age 16. While reading this, I can't help but feel that PeaceThroughSuperiorFirepower (PTSF) is writing a bad-ass Harry for the sake of being a bad-ass, which to me comes off as being rather annoying. For some reason I now imagine Jimmy looking and acting like a younger Steven Seagal.

That said, I did kind of like how PTSF portrayed the First's assault on the Council beyond the truck bombing in London.

2/5 for the characterization and plot.

4. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

Ya I've been following this for awhile now and its one of the better hp/buffy crossovers out there. That being said the author seem to be trying his best to screw it up in the last chapter or two.

3/5 for now with the hope that peace picks it up in the next few chapters

5. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

This author isn't the original author, that might be the reason. Shrugs.

6. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Started reading it awhile back. Liked it then, not so much now. The OC's are just like that assassin chick in Smokin Aces 2: introduced solely to be killed later on and provide motivation for actions that are later inconsequential. NTY.

2/5. Characterization is now officially shot to shit and the story just isn't moving.

7. AcheronBlake

AcheronBlake Squib

It's one of the better HP/BtVS crossovers I've read and I like the way they portray 'Jimmy'. But that could just be because I am a Dark!Harry whore. But the way he slaughters the tribe of cannibals was awesome and really drove home the point. Also, although he is uber in the fic it manages to keep him away from the inevitable slip into undefeatable!Harry and immortalHarrt. He is still very much a mortal creature.

I will admit that the magic he wields is far out of the scope of believability. I mean really, he manages to defeat Dumbledore in the bar. I think not.

3.5/5

"The true way to a man's heart is six inches of metal between his ribs. Sometimes four inches will do the job, but to be really sure, I like to have six."
    -Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Novels: Laurell K. Hamilton

8. Intelligo

Intelligo Squib

Around the time they went to Russia the plot became so obtuse I couldn't force myself to follow it.

If you're going to do Harry/BtVS, then the story should be taking place in Britain or California for the vast majority of the work.

Also, while I appreciate the attempt, the kid!Harry with teen!Scoobies just doesn't work for me.

2/5