1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wii~Nintendo

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Kai Shek, Sep 9, 2006.

1. silvananoir

silvananoir First Year

I'm actually looking very forward for the Wii's release. At least nintendo is also giving the option of a regular controller, but I'm waiting to see what its like when it comes out. Because of the amazing low price, the Wii is probably going to dominate. Let's face it we all might want a PS3 or a 360 but whose got the cash for consoles that cost upto 600 bucks and games that are up to 60?

2. silvananoir

silvananoir First Year

Sorry my mistake PS3 games are going to be at least 75 bucks.

3. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

Uhh, use the edit button next time so you won't double post.

At least 75 bucks! :eek: Holy shit, I need to get a job...

4. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Uh, kiklo, she probably WOULD have used the edit button, if it werent for the fact that it dissapears after 24hrs of posting. After that, you are forced to do a double post if no one has replied within that timeframe.

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Im buying a wii solely for Zelda: Twightlight Princess... id be surprised if anything else comes out for it Id like...

As for Nintendo going out of business? Not completely. I predict the Wii is their last console though. They may keep the handheld market tight, but consoles? Nada.

6. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

Eh, sorry I didn't know that. But thanks for telling me.

7. silvananoir

silvananoir First Year

Isn't Twilight Princess coming out for the game cube too?

8. Vascudo

Vascudo First Year

Yes, it will come out for the Gamecube shortly after the Wii release...
    Don't know if I can wait for having enough cash for a Wii though...

9. Nytmare

Nytmare Fourth Year

I have played 'Red Steel' on this platform, It is very entertaining although you do look like a dork swinging the remote around to counter and attack, the batteries also wear out very fast, so if you are planning on getting one I would suggest on either stocking up or getting a few recharge packs so that you dont suddenly run out of juice half way through a fight.

10. Cell

Cell Gunner of The Black Poison DLP Supporter

Try to get Lithium batteries,I went through a pack already.lol.I'm not use to playing Zelda,so I'm stuck in a village just running around.lol.So dizzy doing that.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  11. C.S.Kaniel

C.S.Kaniel Fourth Year

On the Wii itself, I pretty much share Vash' opinion. Twilight princess is really the only reason i'd get one, thus far.

On the controller swinging, there's already been dumbass reports on it. Over on a Wii thread at anifics, theres apparently been reports of idiots breaking their TV's, being wannabe ninjas with the 'nunjuks'.

12. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm sure that if you're halfway intelligent, the controller will stay under your control.

I'm not a console fan, but the Wii looks really interesting because of its controllers. Nintendo has gone a new way with its console, quite different than Sony and Microsoft and I think it will be quite a success.

Heck, I may just get one myself if I can try out some of those games before (see how the swordfighting or those jump'n'runs handle and maybe those shooters are even more fun than on the PC ... :eek: )

13. Cell

Cell Gunner of The Black Poison DLP Supporter

The problem is that the string tying to the strap is so thin.Your palm gets sweaty from holding that,and you power swing that shit,it breaks and flies off. It hurts dude when you're in a mid swing and your hand hits the wall.>_>.Tennis is the shit,Zelda also.Graphics clean.

14. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

Having had one for the past ten days or so, I can finally review while I'm waiting for my fucking flight out of Vancouver.

Graphics: 7/10
    There has been no major advance since the GCN in terms of graphics. The Wii is built on old technology and it looks it, too. Still, the graphics are halfway decent, and after you factor in all the turning down I do on my computer because of a slow processor, they're probably better than my computer's graphics. Wii Sports, the included game, was simple and clean and brought back memories of Fisher-Price men, but playing baseball and punching me in the face in boxing. Zelda looks spectacular: it is a step up from Windwaker, and I thought LOZ:WW was absolutely stellar with the cell shading.

Innovation: 9/10
    The controller is really indescribable until you play it. At first, I was flabberghasted when I heard that the controller would be like a television remote; I swore that I would not get one because it sounded horribly lame. That said, the remote, for those of you who are curious, is much more like a prop than a remote. By that, I mean that it is designed to be something in-game: in Red Steel, it is a gun, naturally; in Wii Sports, it can be a golf club, a bowling ball, a fist, a tennis racket, etc...; and in Twilight Princess it is a billion things, but is primarily used as the item control (so for the sword, you just flick your wrist and it is akin to taking a swing with the sword; with the arrows, you point it at the screen to aim as if you were holding the bow itself).

This is the step closer to VR that console gaming really needed to get anywhere. There is just so much that can be done with this. It gets only 9, though, because there is so much more that can be done with it - I envisioned having to pull back the nunchuk to emulate tensioning a bow, and I'm really looking forward to the point in time where they can find a better method of picking up movement without using a thumbstick.

Games available: 8/10
    This is really not extensive by any account right now, but Twilight Princess and Wii Sports would keep me busy for ages. TP is the largest Zelda game with the most engrossing storyline I've played to date, and the fact that all the Gamecube games work inside the Wii (with the GCN controllers, yes, but nevertheless...) will make first time console buyers and those with limited space jump for joy. Hooking up the internet to the Wii was easy and I'll probably experiment with some of the classic games if and when I get the chance. They're re-releasing Mario 64 for it, too. That is just full of win.

Experience: 9/10
    There were only a few hitches when I got to use the Wii. First, the packaging on the individual controllers sucks, and if you're not careful, you can cut the wrist strap easily, which makes things difficult. Fortunately, because there was a recall on the straps, you can get some new ones for free from Nintendo (easier here than there, because I was about 30 minutes from Nintendo of America). The other problem, as mentioned, was 'things getting in the way'. I don't blame Nintendo for this; in fact, they have an annoying screen that pops up every time or two I play that says, 'Make sure you're not going to hit anything!', or similar - but things sometimes wind up getting in the way, like the nose of my girlfriend's brother. The last issue is for the retards in the crowd (which, fortunately, was not me this time). Wear the fucking wrist strap. You will save yourself no end of embarrassment when you don't have to go buy a replacement Wiimote and some spackle because you let go in the middle of your bowling game.

Total Score: 9/10
    How does it stack up?

Better than: X-Box 360
    Nintendo Gamecube
    Playstation 3

About the same as: Current PC gaming on a fully upgraded brand-new Alienware machine

Worse than: Full-fledged VR

15. li.u

li.u Fourth Year

Just tried it for the 1st time. It sure is a nice gaming experience and especially the boxing was quite fun. I actually enjoyed playing with the new controller which I really really doubted would happen before.

It's true that its hardware can't even hope to keep up with the comptition and that there hasn't been much progress in the graphics area, but it's still more than sufficient and I'm not one to attach that much importance to it anyway.

So, I'm quite pleased with the console so far. The gaming concept is cool, the price is reasonable.

But, alas, I can't really take a liking to any Nintendo game at all. I puke when I see anything that has even remotely to do with Mario&Co and I never really got into the whole Zelda thing. Sure, there would always be 1 or 2 Nintendo games I'd like, but that's not enough for me to buy it. At least, not now. Might change though once the price drops a bit.

16. C.S.Kaniel

C.S.Kaniel Fourth Year

If it really is a good as you guys are saying, then i'm probably gonna get one. There's also the fact that the other new systems are seriously pocket pinching.

I agree with li.u also, graphics really have no impact on my playing experience. That's like seeing the FMV's from Final Fantasy 10 and not playing Half life anymore due to graphic leaps.

17. snufkin

snufkin First Year

No longer a pile of snow because the pile melted.
    The Wiimote...

I was also contemplating getting a wii. I say 'contemplating' because they're sold out everywhere, games included. Then I got this email from a friend, which I have decided to share due to both the humor and the horror of it.

My friend - who is a girl by the way - has thus convinced me to wait before getting the wii...

Lesson of the day: enthusiasm can be threatening to your tv and speculations about the dangers of the wii have been indeed proven true.

18. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

Ah...the Wii. Now this is a good console. I've always been a fan of Nintendo, but this tops pretty much all the others for me. The controls are really nice and very intuitive, and in games like Twighlight Princess you get a lot more control and accuracy than you would otherwise, especially with long range attacks. I don't think it would be that easy to hurl your controller at the wall unless you do something really special like forget that you're playing a game and release it when you don't have the wrist strap on, but that seems unlikely.

Also, Zelda ftw. It's evident that they really put a lot of work into this one, and the bosses and weaponry are different from the standard fare. The temples aren't that difficult, but they're very nicely designed.

19. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

I greatly enjoy Nintendo, but I missed out on the first shipping of Wiis because . . . well . . . I didn't want to camp out overnight. I missed the second shipping of wii because it sold out in ten minutes, and I missed the third shipping of wiis because they wouldn't tell me when they were coming.

With that said, I have never actually played the wii. From what I've heard, and the costs described,

XBox360 and PS3 are still losing money every time you buy a console (this may not be true, it's what the people at gamestop/ebgames say. I haven't done the research myself). Alternately, because Nintendo left out a DVD player (I already have like three DVD players-- I don't need one for a wii), they're making cash on every wii. The wii is amazing, and innovative. People have suggested that gamers won't like to exercise when they play video games. That's true. However, people who have not been gamers traditionally may emigrate to the wii. The wii wiill prevail, whether or not you like it. *makes the wii gangsign* Madden NFL, consistently one of the bestselling games for consoles will help it rock the competition-- do you want something for 200 bucks where you actually feel like you're making a pass? Or do you want something for 600 bucks where you actually feel like you're shaking a controller from side to side and pressing r violently in a mad attempt to spiral?

With that said, Zelda/Red Steel for the win. Red Steel has had some negative reviews, but most of them seem to be centered around shitty learning curve. Read: Gamers are pissed because their leet skills with the more common button riddled controllers are worth nada with the wii controllers. Don't worry, you'll get used to it.

Also, the new super smash bros. game looks incredibly awesome, and the Kingdom Hearts 3 will finally go over to nintendo as well as sony. I have to say that Bioshock (for xbox360) looks fantastic though. I was watching G4 with a friend, just chatting, when suddenly we saw a hand go through a man's chest. It was amazingly badass.

In retort to the Mario/Zelda hater-- how many games can you make around Halo, or Crash Bandicoot? I hate the way that bungie has sold out. Oni for the win!

20. li.u

li.u Fourth Year

Well, I may dislike both Mario and Zelda, but I never said that there was something wrong with them. If someone enjoys this stuff, I'm fine with that. But since I can't stand it, it wouldn't make much sense for me to buy a console that has lots of games featuring them in some way.

BTW: There aren't even remotely enough Halo games to compare them to the Mario series. Not that I liked any of them anyway.

Don't know if the same goes for the Crash Bandicoot series, but since I'm not a great Jump&Run fan, I couldn't care less.

Also, there were always enough games for any PS that caught my interest, so I wasn't really bothered by the likes of Crash Bandicoot.

Sadly, I can't say the same for the Nintendos, or the Wii would've been mine a long time ago.