1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wii U

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Psychotic Cat, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

[​IMG]

To be released instore at some point between April and December 2012

Yes, that's a touch screen on the controller.(6.2 inch)

It will be HD, well the touch screen won't but the tv will.

Runs old nintendo games, is compatable with the wiimote and other wii controllers.

Motion sensing goodness.

And there's a touch screen on the controller.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

That is the dumbest name, and Nintendo REALLY had me raging before they brought on the third party guys.

This may just be cool yet!

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I'm concerned that really the only good 'serious' title they're talking about releasing for this is Assassin's Creed. Darksiders, Ninja Gaiden, and Ghost Recon are kind of meh.

Some more details: That's just the controller, they'll be announcing the actual Wii U console later on in the year.

4. Kaenil

Kaenil First Year

I'm excited. The controller seems a bit awkward to hold though. Maybe I'm just too used to the way the Playstation/Xbox controllers feel.

As for the name, I can't help but hear this every time I see it.

5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I loved Darksiders, so Darksiders 2 is pretty huge for me, actually.

6. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4lIZE98zVQ

This looks brilliant!

High definition display, up to 1080p resolution via HDMI output
    6.2" touchscreen on New Controller, running in non-HD resolution
    Internal flash-based media storage, upgradeable via USB and SD cards
    Games ship on proprietary iDensity discs of unspecified, but "large capacity"
    Games will also be available as downloadable content
    Console compatible with Wii games and devices
    Release date between April 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012; or after the end of Nintendo's fiscal year

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Project Cafe? Pretty sure that was like NGP, just a thing to refer to it until they got an actual title.

9. Qilin

Qilin Fourth Year

Sarah Palin's backyard, possibly with a shotgun.
    Neat looking controller, but how much? Unless the price of producing touch screens have dropped, it must be pretty high - like the price of DS.

10. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    One wonders what hand size the controller is made for: something with such an odd shape seems to be the kind thing that's really awkward for people with really small or large hands.

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... I am of two minds, at the moment.

First, it does actually look pretty awesome. Second, Nintendo is still run by retarded monkeys. Wii U? Wii U? Come on, fags, put some effort into it. Playstation and Xbox at least have some reason to hang on to the name, since they've had some awesome stuff along the years.

But the only thing I remember of the Wii is disappointment. :| Get a new name.

12. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I want it.

/filler

13. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Looks like a fantastic piece of technology and the culmination of everything Nintendo has worked on in the past several years.

I wonder if you'll be able to take a controller far away and still use it to play relatively full-featured games (more complicated than Reversi). With the kind of tech that's in it, it it is pretty much a console in its own right.

Anyways, I think I'll get it if it looks like there are some good games for it.

14. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Screw Nintendo. This is what the Wii should have been, but instead they decided to market a subpar system that was inferior in every way to it's competitors and simply capitalize on the relative newness of motion control. The Wii was a fucking gimmick.

I loathe Nintendo, the fact that Zelda is exclusive to them is a travesty as its the only thing I would even consider playing.

15. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Im excited.

Its about time they brought in HD graphics. It is a joke to play on the Wii and be impressed by the complexity of the ragged polygon meshed character, landscapes, and objects. I swear I made better 3d models in highschool way back in 2001.

The controller was clunky awkward, and as was said before, a complete gimic. The controller should have been an add on peripheral launched after the Wii. Not the only fucking way to control the damned thing.

I was impressed with the way the controller worked with some of there tech demos at E3.

That kind of looking through the mirror glass effect would be cool to have during a lot of really bad ass games that could be serious contenders to the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Imagine a horror thriller game where you have to navigate in the dark and you turn the corner with the controller and find a surprise attack comming at your face. If done right it would be fantastic.

It looks ridiculous, so rounded and beveled, but the power is undeniabbly a serious gaming platform design.

The discs will be 25 GB so there can be a lot of content stored, Hopefully you will be able to hook up a external usb hard drives for storage, and I believe one the live interviews stated that it will do general internet connections like the ps3, so thats another feather in its cap.

But the name still sucks.

Why did they stop using Nintendo. It has history, weight, its fondly remembered as a fun system.

I started gaming on a SNES.

16. Dark Raku

Dark Raku Second Year

@Joe: I believe what we know of the specs so far said that we would be able to kook up a usb hard drive to the Wii U. It also said there was space enough for four USB Sticks. You can use the Wiimotes also, it would seem.

17. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I don't want to assume that. They could set up firmware restrictions to not allow hard drives, or to only accept proprietary usb sticks that Nintendo makes.

They would be concerned about storing games on the drives and then having some one leak it on a torrent.

Its already a big issue with Roms for the DS.

18. Goreshade

Goreshade Fourth Year

If anyone knows anything about tech around here, it's basically confirmed to use a Power7 based cpu and slightly less confirmed to have something at least equivalent to a 5xxx series Radeon HD for the GPU. (Most likely a higher end model, at least 5770)

Destroys the 360 and PS3, of course it should being released in 2012. The Power7 is the real surprise though, since it basically kicks the shit out of an equivalently clocked Core i7.

Also it was right on the Nintendo website that external USB HDDs were confirmed to work, so yeah...

19. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Processors:
    IBM Power-based multi-core 45 nm microprocessor
    GPU: Custom-designed AMD Radeon HD GPU

Storage:
    Internal flash memory expandable via SD memory card slot and USB slots (4) using a USB hard disk drive
    Slot-loading disc drive compatible with 12-cm 25 GB capacity "proprietary high-density optical discs" and 12-cm Wii optical discs

Controller:
    Built-in accelerometer, gyroscope, speakers, front-facing camera, microphone and a 6.2 inch touchpad
    Two Circle Pads and one Digital Pad
    Select, Start, Home and Power Buttons
    A/B/X/Y front buttons, L/R bumper buttons and ZL/ZR trigger buttons

Video:
    1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i output
    Compatible with HDMI, component, S-video and composite cables

Audio:
    AV Multi Out port. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI

20. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Do you have a source on that, AAli? I'd like to share it.