1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Wild World by HowdyU - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Koalas, Jan 12, 2009.

1. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

^^

In fact, though I might be wrong, I think Howdy said something to that effect at some time. They are and forever will be just an accessorie to the same effect as Killer Bee's little tentacle things.

2. lanceavalon

lanceavalon Seventh Year

LIAR!!! but seriously are you just waiting for betas?

3. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

No, I'm actually writing it right now.

For some reason this chapter doesn't really want to get written, even though quite a few important things happen in it.

I'm going to go ahead and say tentatively that it should be ready tomorrow night.

4. whateveritis12

Have the recent chapters changed anything about how you view the Rinnegan? Most specifically the line about how the original guy could make a moon with the move Pain just did? Gotta think that all Rinnegan users can use at least the God realm's abilities.

5. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    From what I understand about Howdy's stance on how the rinnegan works, the fact that the new chapter came out doesn't really matter much. He probably won't ever have to retcon because of anything Nagato does, because those are mostly abilities he could have 'viewed' with the rinnegan, when a body was alive, then once it died, reproduce it, if it were bloodline or body specific. Howdy's rinnegan lets a user watch the 'spiritual' part of a technique, that which gives it shape and direction, so any jutsu that Pein uses won't really matter, because it isn't an innate ability of the rinnegan (assumably).

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would expect that Pein is merely copying the original Rikudo Sennin's abilities that are associated with him by legend but has sectioned them in to different bodies because of his own physical weakness. That would work perfectly well with Howdy's version of the Rin'negan because it just means that Pein and the Rikudo Sennin used the inbuilt ability of the Rin'negan to shape the jutsu in to the form they wanted, rather than it being a bloodline specific jutsu.

I imagine it would be like an Uchiha dividing the copying/prediction/Mangekyou-powers aspects of the Sharingan into different bodies but still retaining control of them because of the shared minds. The Rin'negan is obviously better at this since its abilities aren't tied down by being uncopyable from body to body... So maybe dividing Kakashi's thousand jutsu between bodies would be a more accurate comparison (an interesting idea there methinks).

I'm going off on a tangent again, but the point is in there. Somewhere.

7. stickybynature

stickybynature Squib

Hmm just a thought on clones.
    There are many stories where they are used to power Naruto up fairly quickly, but I was thinking that it only makes sense for him to be creating one clone per area of study/training as they are all starting at the same point and will likely develop the same amount as each other (assuming they are dispelled at the same time).
    So that would mean he only gets the benefits of having one clone no matter how many he assigns to a training exercise?
    Or perhaps the more made the more they hinder him as he could develop a habit of doing things the wrong way from so much 'experience' of doing it wrong.

What do you guys think? And Howdy do you have any opinion on this relating to your fic?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  8. Aekiel

High Score:
    You're completely missing the point here. The way clone training works is by all the clones doing subtly different things (centred around a single technique usually) so that when one does it wrong the destructive effects are mitigated and the other Narutos now know what not to do. Eventually, given time (and lessened by the number of clones), one of them will get it right just by dumb luck or random chance. When that one dispels all the other Narutos will know that it worked and can focus themselves on very slight variations of what the successful clone did.

The point is that all the clones do not do exactly the same thing. Even if they all start out absolutely identical in every way, shape and form when they start training not every one will have the same idea, and as time goes on the clones will start having their own ideas on what could work until success is achieved. It's effectively learning by trial and error on a massively compressed timescale.

9. stickybynature

stickybynature Squib

I see what you are saying, but I wasn't thinking in terms of him getting it wrong to start with, but improving on something he can already do. Unless he's trying to find another way to do the same technique, he is going to be doing it in a certain way, meaning there is no trial and error.
    So maybe to start with many clones would help but after a point this may drop off. Please bare in mind i'm more trying to argue a reason why he can't master everything very quickly by using clones, for the sake of not making Naruto instantly powerful. Though this is probably getting off the point of the thread? ^^

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  10. Zield

Zield Fourth Year

Any news on the update?

11. Lhefriel_Medies

Lhefriel_Medies Fifth Year

new chapter new chapter new chapter holy crap new chapter thank you howdy reading now

12. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Okay.

Who hacked my FF.net account and posted this piece of crap?

13. Aekiel

High Score:
    Howdy? I hate you... for that bloody cliffhanger. I'm going to assume that he's just found out about the Rin'negan and has connected the dots between him and it. Also, do we have to wait months for the next chapter or have you got some done already?

14. lanceavalon

lanceavalon Seventh Year

Oh yeah I remember this fic...

Anyway Naruto never threatened that fat bitch in the library I don't know how Naruto would get in trouble for something that as far as anyone with a brain is concerned was a joke.

15. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

It's not that Naruto threatened her, it's that she perceived that she was threatened. It's why Naruto never actually gets punished when this sort of thing happens aside from a stern talking to from Sarutobi, who's sympathetic towards Naruto.

The next chapter is slated for 2010 right now.

See you then!

16. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Lol cliffhanger you bastard

Though my one problem with this chapter is it seems that Naruto is becoming too jaded to quick. Hell I was almost expecting him to go ranting on the Hokage. Besides that great chapter and update quick

17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    You sure you don't just want to end it here? Seems a good place...

Thanks for the update. While light on the action, it was a very nice transition, doing much for development of the various characters. I like your Kakashi in particular in this story.

18. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I wanted my Kakashi to be a bit less (seemingly) indifferent than his canon portrayal. In my story Naruto is, in Kakashi's eyes, both much more talented and also much less stupid than his canon self. Of all of his students, Naruto is his favorite, despite his best efforts not to neglect the others.

Unlike Sasuke, Naruto in my story is actually personable. Kakashi relates to him as Yondaime's son and not "Yondaime's son who's nothing like him and that I have to teach."

Even if Naruto's personality is a bit darker at times, he's still a happy-go-lucky guy on the outside, and Kakashi appreciates that.

As far as Sasuke goes, I'm trying not to ruin his character while stepping up the whole rivalry thing that we see in canon. In the manga it starts in earnst in the Chuunin Exam, but Sasuke and Naruto have no real time to address it before Naruto returns from his mission with Jiraiya and they have their hospital fight.

Again, my Naruto is more of a threat to Sasuke than the canon version on top of being less inclined to sit back and take any efforts Sasuke makes towards demeaning him.

Sasuke and Naruto are true rivals and not simply teammates attempting to one up the other for bragging rights, and their relationship is deteriorating because of it.

19. whateveritis12

So we can expect Naruto to defend himself and Sakura against Orochimaru (assuming you stick with canon) but won't go out of his way to protect Sasuke? Then after Naruto receives his vest he immediately gets transferred to a different team or goes with Jiraiya to get trained, am I right? Because I can hardly see this Naruto not becoming chunnin just based on his skills.

20. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

It's not just about skill though or Sasuke would be promoted alongside him; Konoha Chuunin need to be able to work as a team. Plus Howdy's Naruto is a bitter jinchuuriki who dislikes a lot of the village and how they treat him. I can see Jiraiya training him but I doubt he'd be promoted without doing something drastic to improve his feeling for the village and their feelings towards him. You don't want higher ranking ninja to dislike the very village they work for after all.