1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Wild World by HowdyU - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Koalas, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    How soon is WW and HotH to being updated? Today, tommorrow?

And 'strong reaction to the awakening of the Rinnegan bloodline'? At the time Naruto killed Mizuki and even now, with his new outfit which I'm still wary of, and the fact that he has a powerful fire jutsu under his belt, he's still underpowered compared to the heavy hitters, and to Pain especially.

What does this 'strong reaction' mean, really? if the Rinnegan can percieve the 'spirit', as in intent, as in the composition of a jutsu, can it also affect the spirit, as in death?

Is Human Realm's ability to remove the soul of an opponent a stronger/refined version of a Rinnegan spiritual attack?

As far as the outfit for Naruto goes, I agree with someone who posted earlier that keeping the orange jumpsuit might actually have been a strategic benefit as very few people, if any, would take a ninja wearing orange seriously, right up until the point when he opened a can of Rinnegan whoopass on you. If in a future chapter you could fully describe Naruto's appearance, because right now, the orange tassels which are supposed to be nine tails are throwing me off.

Or...

I suppose the new look would be more palatable if you has Naruto at least aesthetically looking/dressing like Killer Bee, because I can live with that. Killer Bee is cool.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

That would be telling.

3. Gravity

Gravity First Year

I concur

-filler-

4. Zield

Zield Fourth Year

Is the update anywhere in site?

5. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

*sight

FFS, he'll publish when he's ready. If you're impatient, give Howdy some positive reinforcement like "Great story! Can't wait for the next installment."

It's conveying the same thing, but has a much more pleasant presentation to Howdy.

P.S. Great Story. Can't wait for the next installment.

6. Ksai

Ksai Third Year

Great Story. Can't wait for the next instalment.

PS
    Howdy. Post a sneak peak or something. I don't know what happened to NAruto fandom, but almost non of my favourite fics have been updated in January. You are teh last hope.

7. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Great installment. Can't wait for the next story.

Oh wait...

8. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Wut?

I don't get it.

I've been a little caught up in the process of interviewing for a new job, which I just got today. I won't say when the next chapter will be out for sure, but it most likely will happen within the next week or so.

Don't panic, yes?

9. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Never, ever, ever let go of your towel.

10. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    Congratulations.

I also started a new job recently. It's tough getting started, but once you're in, making money, it's golden.

That said, is both HotH and WW updating, or only one of them?

11. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I think I'm going to be alternating updates, so WW is next, then HotH, then WW and so on.

12. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Even though I enjoyed reading this story, somewhat, a lot of things made me cringe.

One was the typical 'mask' that Naruto wore during his childhood. I don't really have to explain this one. It's overused and really, makes no sense half the time. It also doesn't explain why Naruto is suddenly so much smarter and more observant. He isn't a genius in this by any means, thankfully, or that might have killed the story right there.

I felt some of the dialogue was incredably awkward at times, especially in that scene where Naruto asks Team 8 if they'd like to go to lunch. How Ino basically says he is a joke and he agrees with this really lame line about how he's going to change. It just felt really cheesy.

Super new outfit. Didn't really bother me too much until the tail-rope thing. Though ninja in Naruto do have a habit of dressing like that, I thought it was a bit early. Maybe when he was a more established ninja, he could of worn something defining of his character like the 9 'rope-tails'.

Still, you write well enough to make it enjoyable.

Most of the time, Naruto with a bloodline annoys the piss out of me, but here, I kinda liked it. Probably because I haven't run across many stories with Naruto having the Rin'negan. I'm sure in the next month or so, the fandom is going to over-flow with them, if it hasn't already.

Pretty cool how he reads techniques, as well. Simple, easy to understand and workable. It's going to be hard to keep his power in check, though, with how he can suss out a technique in a few minutes.

13. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I usually read Naruto's intelligence bump to be more of 'effectively using what he's got' as opposed to an actual increase in intelligence. There is also the fact that the spiritual energy of Naruto has also been refered to as mental energy (though that could just be translation PC) maybe the Rin'negan has some elements of mental stimulus and development? Thoughts Howdy?

14. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

Syao has a valid point. Observation and well reasoned thought are habits more than anything. You can't flick a switch and suddenly shift your mental procresses immediately. It's a gradual process, widening perception. I can see where Naruto is going to be vastly more focused with his new toy than he would be otherwise, but having him change immediately in all situations is a bit much short of a life changing epiphany, which I suppose the Rinnegan could count as.

15. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

First thing:

This story is based off of two separate divergences from canon. First is that he awakens the Rinnegan. Second is that he decides not to forgive the villagers' mistaken opinions and actions made towards him. These two things are independent and frankly either could be a legitimate basis for a plot divergence story.

Second thing:

Canon Naruto isn't ignorant of the attitudes of the villagers towards him. He's not stupid either. He just persists with his "I'll prove to everyone how great I am and ignore the shit they give me" attitude. I'm trying my best not to make my Naruto a sudden genius, but to imply that canon Naruto isn't capable of catching on and to reacting to the attitudes of those around him is simply wrong.

Kishimoto likes to make Naruto seem retarded so that he can explain things to his audience, but Naruto also has a number of periods of insight and wisdom that are uncanny for a ninja his age. Just because he plays an idiot doesn't mean he isn't capable of making tough decisions or understanding others.

Naruto is not mentally handicapped in any way.

Let me say that again, so that you understand.

Naruto is not mentally handicapped in any way.

Such a notion is purely fiction. My Naruto isn't any different from his canon self, other than the fact that he doesn't feel he needs to keep up a happy facade, which he does do for the most part in canon. Just look at how he interacts with his peers even after his meeting with Orochimaru or his failure with the Sound Five.

Naruto never, never shares his doubts and fears with others in canon. The fact that these doubts exist is obvious.

In other words, the "mask" that is oh so popular in fanfiction is indeed canon to some extent.

As far as Wild World goes, I made a conscious decision not to dwell on Naruto's change of mindset for long, since I find it incredibly boring. It's one of the reasons why Tempered In Water isn't a 5 star story in my book, regardless of what everyone else thinks.

My Naruto isn't meant to be a sudden genius, but he is meant to be a lot more circumspect about his actions since he's now adopted a "what's best for me?" attitude. He's thrown away his need to find approval in others.

Does that mean he's a sudden jackass who doesn't think what anyone thinks of him? Of course not.

He's still capable of normal social interactions, and in fact he likes them. They make him happy, just as they make most people happy.

As far as the "spiritual energy" is concerned, I honestly don't believe the shit that Iruka spewed in canon about wisdom and brainpower attributing to that energy. In my mind, it's more about willpower. I mean teenagers like Naruto and Sasuke can become some of the strongest ninja in the world, so wisdom and experience can't be a big part of that power, now can it?

As far as updating goes, I have the next chapter planned out. However, right now I'm starting a new job and am taking the Health and Life Insurance Exam tomorrow, hence the long delay. I can't promise when the next chapter will come out, but I'll probably do it in the next two weeks.

16. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Good luck on the exam.

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

This basically sums up what I meant, in less words.
    I don't think I mentioned anything about his ignorance or lack-there-of towards the villagers treatment.

And being a little dimwitted isn't being mentally handicapped. Sure, I like to call him retarded - though I didn't in my post - but he isn't that stupid. But he is stupid. And gaining a little insight isn't going to change that fact straight away.

It felt like the light-switch that Sol mentioned.
    Naruto sharing his doubts and fears is fine. Naruto sharing his doubts and fears with classmates whom he never really got along with great before that scene felt unreal. He was probably a little closer to Shikamaru and Chouji than he was with Ino, but he wasn't even that chummy with those two to begin with. I could see him sharing doubts with Iruka, maybe Sandaime. Maybe.

But Shikamaru and Chouji? With Ino right there? Not at this point in time.
    There is a middle area that can be reached, with just enough dwelling so it is neither rushed nor boringly drawn out.

In this story, it felt rushed. In Tempered with Water, it was drawn out so much it did get very trying at times. It doesn't have the best re-reading value, that story.

Other than that... I look forward to the next chapter.

18. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

Any news Howdy on either this or Houses?

19. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Relax man. if it's coming this week it'll at least be Friday.

20. Tezcatlipoca

Tezcatlipoca First Year

Since Naruto seem to have figured out technique of shadow clone earlier on how fast realistically could he improve his skill level?