1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wildstar

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was surprised when a search didn't turn up a thread for this game on this forum.

I've been following this game for a long time, and now that it's nearing open beta (and release), I find myself giddy with anticipation.

If anyone here is interested in an MMORPG that doesn't do too much to change the standard formula, but has an incredibly fresh combat system, a zany and crazy story and beautiful, stylized visuals.

The telegraph system makes the combat system very skill-shot based and allows for skilled defensive play too.

I can't really do the game justice with words, but I urge you to look up all the Dev speaks on youtube, and the class live streams that go in depth on each class and their intricacies.

Some in the media have also been given leave to ignore the NDA and stream/ talk about gameplay from levels 1-15, if you want to find out more.

More than any other this year, this is the MMO that I'm most looking forward to.

2. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Open Beta?

Why would a $60 + sub game have an Open beta?

Maybe a weekend stress test, but an Open Beta?

Personally, I've given up on trying to find a subscription game that is good enough to justify paying money for.

Grind Dungeons/raids everyday for gear, use gear to win in PvP, wait for next expansion, do it again. Just not fun anymore.

3. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

You can pay for game time of wildstar with ingame currency, or sell game time for in game currency. They will need a large playerbase to maintain this. Hence open beta to attract players.

4. Gengar

High Score:
    That and they've done, are still conducting stress tests with increasing intensity. I'm in one this weekend.

I'm curious why you choose to post in a thread about an MMO saying how much you're over the genre. Seems... Odd.

The story in this game is a major draw btw.

5. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Some personal shit. So many friends trying to convince me that Wildstar is going to be the next big thing, and I keep having to remind them that they say that about every new MMORPG game that comes out.

Annoyed at the massive amount of money I wasted on a variety of mmorpg's that all promised what Wildstar is promising.

Initial post reminded me of the same things they always say.

I know of the sub options, but I have a feeling that there will be a lot more people trying to buy a sub than those selling, and the gold cost will make it easier on most people to just pay with cash.

TLDR: friends hyping the shit out of this game, and I think I'm growing weary of being constantly disappointed with MMORPG's. If it was any other game, I probably wouldn't have responded at all, but I just know I'll end up buying this game, and will almost certainly regret it.

6. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Just stop buying games when they come out. Wait a few months until the initial hype wears off and see how it's getting updated/patched etc.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    Or just play the open beta and see if you like it. Also, ppl need to adjust their expectations with MMOs i think.

Ppl (me included), played WoW for years and expect an mmo to come and equally take over their lives.

They don't need to do that. Even if you only play for a month, there'll be more gameplay and fun there than any other $60 game. it's up to you to decide if the value proposition is worth it to you after that.

Sounds to me like you're just not into MMOs anymore.

8. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Not a big fan of the "comic" look and the "fun/humour" tone of the game. I like a more "adult/mature" setting, especially in such long, time intensive games.

But otherwise it looks like it will be quite interesting to play... the combat and class system sounds intriguing, especially the explorer with his jumps.

And yeah... Never understood this search/want for the "one" "perfect" MMO that you will play forever. Probably the reason why I enjoy story/lore based MMOs like SWTOR or LoTR. I can play them for the stories, a bit like a singleplayer with some optional multiplayer parts/aspects, and after I finish them I mostly ignore the endgame and start another. Most modern MMOs, offer that improved singleplayer experience, especially if you don´t value graphics that much, and don´t cost more than other real singleplayer RPGs (Which can be dpressingly rare)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  9. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

It won't. It's very attractive and the combat seems nice, but just like Guild Wars 2 (which was attractive) and TERA (which had nice combat) it just doesn't do enough new things.

It won't bomb like The Old Republic, but it's not going to be the next World of Warcraft either.

10. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't really think that's a metric we should be using. I don't honestly think there will ever BE another MMO as huge as World of Warcraft. WoW was situated in a very specific and special position.

MMOs were just becoming a large part of the gaming world, previously they'd only had a small, fervent crowd of followers. But with the success of Everquest they were on the verge of something bigger.

Then the announcement came. A Warcraft MMO. An MMO made by Blizzard. I think people's Anti-WoW glasses make them forget exactly how much Blizzard was respected and revered back then. Bioware at their best had nothing on the crowd following and love of gamers that Blizzard had.

It also just happened to be Warcraft. A gaming legacy so ingrained in the hearts and minds of gamers that it stood hands and feet above the rest. There are very few Gaming series, I think, that could have captured that moment of potential as well as Blizzard and World of Warcraft did.

Blizzard stepped onto the scene with a game that didn't just grab the attention of gamers, but that grabbed their passions. Everyone wanted to be a Hero in the World of Warcraft, the next Arthas or Thrall, or Jaina or Uther.

When WoW actually released, it was a game who's quality was a Duality. What was actually there had so much potential and was so very fun... when it worked. But it was so full of bugs and problems and terrible bits of code that even WoW almost sunk in it's first year. They were, in fact, seriously considering shutting off the servers before an upward surge in quality and in users made them change their mind.

No, Blizzard was in a unique position to take advantage of a still young gaming genre coming into the spotlight where most gamers didn't have much if anything in the way of preconceived notions about what an MMO should be. They did it very, very well.

That opportunity won't come again until technology changes so much that MMOs change at a fundamental level. Probably some sort of immersion technology.

Until then, we're really just biding our time with games we'll enjoy. Nothing will take the stage and dominate the MMO crowd like WoW did until then.

So to judge any game based on the standard of 'The Next WoW' is unfair and unrealistic. Judge it instead on it's own merits, and on whether or not you'd enjoy playing it.

From what I've seen, I certainly will.

11. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I'm not looking for the next WoW(I actually had more fun in Ultima Online). I'm just looking for an MMORPG that is more fun and less work. With content that lasts more than a month. To be had, I know that is difficult. I think Ultima Online did it for me because there was no easy progress. I could spend two days on the game, and lose it all to an ambush and walk away with just a bit of skill gain. It was fun because every second of it, I was looking over my back.

There's nothing worse than improving by grinding the same mobs/dungeons/raids over and over, with no threat to your gold or your characters progress. Everything that once made dying a horrible horrible thing (Equipment looting, exp loss, etc, etc) is now gone in favor of MMORPG's that favor those that would rather do the same task over and over again without having even having to think about it.

I got into Wildstar stress test. Downloading now. I think I get a little less than 2 days to test it out. If I can log in that is (I hear Wildstar stress tests are hell)

I actually believe WoW was the worst thing that could happen to MMORPG's. All companies now crave the kind of attention that WoW gets, rather than catering to a specific kind of gamer.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  12. Gengar

High Score:
    All stress tests are hell if they're actually stress tests. I've been online all day though, seems fine.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Ragnarok Online > WoW

14. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I agree that Blizzard had an excellent reputation at the time, but the great majority of players never played a Warcraft game before this one.

It was just the first MMO that was very casual friendly (for its time - it's much more so now) and well polished. (Sure, Molten Core was bugged to hell on release, but only a minority got to see that before it was fixed.)

Really? I never heard of this before. As far as I know, it was the best-selling game 2005 and 2006.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    Yeah, a lot of people have negative 'facts' about WoW, and talk shit on it. The only problem i have with it is that it now FEELS ten years old.

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

So, anyone in the beta/pre-ordered?

17. Gengar

High Score:
    Yessir. I stopped playing in the beta though. I want it fresh for release.

18. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

At its heart Wildstar is a WoW-clone. It looks like WoW, it plays in many ways like WoW, and it has a subscription. It's definitely looks like a game a tier higher than either TESMMO or SWTOR... but whether it succeeds where those games don't, it'll be interesting to see.

The main problem is WoW has the market for WoW-likes. By making a WoW-like, you directly compete with WoW. That's pretty ballsy -- and stupid, given how other WoW-likes have failed without question. (sure, some of them live on in some kind of awkward F2P hell, but it's not the kind of success they might have enjoyed had they been /their own/ game)

19. Gengar

High Score:
    I suppose by that logic, no one should ever make another jrpg because final fantasy has the market, right?

It also plays nothing like wow...

20. Gengar

High Score:
    As I'm sure you can all tell, i hate the term 'wow clone'.