1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wildstar

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Perhaps Carbine expected that, rather than bitch and moan about getting a free realm transfer, players would just decide to reroll that level 8 character on one of the brand new servers they put up.

That's what I did and I've not had a single issue that's stopped me from playing. Honestly, this has been the smoothest MMO launch I can remember.

2. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Anyone still playing this? All of my friends that kept trying to get me to buy it aren't.

The brief time I played on another's account as a test, I actually enjoyed the combat system quite a bit. Unfortunately the leveling process was just a tad to long for me, and it got boring pretty quick. That + the fact that people who had it end game were leaving, and my friends were ditching the game, I no longer bothered to try to grind through the ridiculously long grind that was leveling.

I feel like Devs spend way too long on leveling content, when they could be spending it on end game systems.

Please, Devs, just limit the leveling process, and flesh out end game. It doesn't take "THAT' long to learn your class, flesh out the lore at endgame. PLEASE.

3. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I've been playing it lots. I raid with it regularly and whatnot.

I will say more when I'm not dead tired.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The game is super fun, I stopped playing when my friends bailed on me though. MMOs are pretty rough without friends to play with, unless it's like swtor and has a really solid single player element.

5. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

6. Ncjeur

Ncjeur Second Year

Hm, I might try it after the change to f2p.
    But I don't really have high hopes, sadly- most MMOs can't hold my interest for long... :/

7. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Man, it is about time. I had a 14-day free pass for that once, and it was surprisingly fun at lower levels. Not sure how it holds up later, but at least there's a new leveling experience about to be had.

8. Gengar

High Score:
    It's fun and zany throughout, but if you have high latency, the combat system can be rough - basically getting out of telegraphs on time.

9. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

Since Smile is fat and doesn't talk: the raids are fun(according to him, I didn't get that far). They have unique mechanics and can get pretty crazy. Dungeons aren't bad either once you reach those.

But it's worth noting the game was very, very dead last I played. There may be some aspects in the late game that don't hold up and caused people to leave en mass. Smile would know more about why.

And if PVP is your thing, last I checked the pvp was a mess. Not sure if that's still the case.

10. SmileOfTheKill

I'm one of the few people insane/stupid enough to stick with the game the entire time. A very good writeup by someone I've raided with quite a bit a while ago. AKA devs do what they want, till they finally figured out it made near everyone quit till they suddenly became smart about everything.

As far as progressing goes, I raided with a ton of people that are currently in the top five guilds in the game. Work caused issues, and now I raid with a group that is still farther up but not worth bragging about.

Besides that the game is fun. Fun regardless of being an MMO. Honestly I treat the MMO aspect as a side. The thing of adventures/dungeons/raids could be the game itself and I would be happy. The adventures are fairly simple, but they are still fun in how they handle things. One adventure has the players acting like they are playing some MOBA, by killing NPC heroes, capturing towers, and pushing lanes and even killing some neutral bosses. One adventure is just a more action packed Oregon Trail.

One dungeon has the players fighting a boss that has an area of effect attack that looks in place with Touhou or some other silly nonsense. Then another dungeon has the players jumping onto pigs. Then you fight a boss in a lava room. Doom lasers are spinning around in the circular arena, while there are stacks of lava sitting randomly in the room that you really shouldn't jump in. This is on top of the boss having fits with shooting people to death.

Then the raids. Raids are hard. First raid boss is X89. With 20 players, people fight a frog. The entire fight is on a platform above a death pit. The primary platform is made up of hexagons, and it is about ten hexagons wide to form one massive hexagon platform. The boss does this. Randomly pushes everyone away from him. Slams the ground dealing damage in a massive line, but the farthest platform in the line breaks. Also everyone can fall to their death. Then timed bombs will fall randomly on players, then after a short delay it will break the platform under them. Better hope the person getting the bomb runs away from the group or some people will fall to their death. Then one random person will get a big bomb on them, forcing them to jump off the platform and be pushed back, but if they don't, half the remaining platforms are destroyed and it 95% of the time causes a raid wipe.

PvP is much better. Gear stopped being a grindfest, aka something PvP should never have. That means the structured 2v2 to 5v5 arena is near perfect. The 10v10 arena has issues with DOTs making it impossible to capture a flag, but that should be fixed. So right now the PvP is great, just most of the community is dead. The F2P and recent player resurgence should fix that.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    I wish they had oceanic servers...

This is probably the prettiest MMO imo too. Like budget Pixar (not a dig, Pixar is just incredible...)

12. SmileOfTheKill