1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 7 beta?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Jamven, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Now that is weird as fuck.

According to Alcohol's forum, it will not run under Windows 7 beta. You running the 32 or 64 bit beta?

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

32 at the moment, but im in the process of grabbing 64.

3. coupdmain

coupdmain First Year

A authorized Microsoft Tech (who just happens to be a good friend :D of mine ) told me that 2 GB ram for the O/S is recommended...

I run memory intensive programs, one of my Applications use >1.5 GB each, I have two such applications... this was what turned me off from Vista...

That said, previews say the memory footprint for Windows 7 is much smaller, can some one quantify that...

4. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I ran it on my laptop with only 1 GB of RAM. It worked pretty well. ~50% RAM usage at idle.

5. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Bump.

I saw that M$ is offering a 50% discount for pre-orders of Home Premium and Professional.

I bought XP the first day it came out (WinME is possibly the worst OS I've ever used) and I have a couple of machines running it that still work pretty well, so I don't have a burning desire to upgrade... although XP is starting to get old (and will have an end of life at some point in the not-too-distant future), so there's the matter of wanting to learn and prepare for something new (other than Vista).

So what's the verdict? (Unlike Vista, I've actually heard decent things about Win7)

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I upgraded a few days ago and already like it more than Vista. Apart from a couple of problems with it lacking drivers for some programs it's brilliant.

7. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

Windows 7 is awesome, works perfectly with everything so far, all my drivers have installed, its compatible with xp and vista shiz. One bad thing about it is that the explorer.exe (Windows Aero and such) takes alot of your ram, but i just turn it off when i game.

8. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'm using Win 7 x64 RC1 since around 40 days now, I have no complaints. There are some annoying new "features" but you can turn them off or set to behave as they did in previous versions (for example, one icon per program, no matter how many windows it uses).

There almost no problems with compatibility, most drivers are already there. The only problem I had was with installing HP 1005 MFP driver, but once I installed Vista driver in Vista compatibility mode everything worked out.

I was able to run any 32bit program I tried, but I failed to burn anything with AstroBurn. The Task Manager managed to hang itself two or three times (but my laptop is running 24/7 and this isn't the final release). You can't run any 16bit programs in x64 edition, fact you might mind if you're learning assembly language, but as far as I know it's the same for XP and Vista x64.

Overall, Microsoft seems to have put a lot of work in developing the OS, instead of forcing useless crap on the customer.

9. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

You can now Buy Windows 7 Premium Home and Professional for 49.99 and 99.99 $ respectively.
    Link Here.

If you plan on buying it, I'd do so now, cause the price tag is only gonna go up as it gets closer to acutal release time.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Lol Zombie. Look up a few posts. ;)

11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

:x Damn... I thought it was Aekiel who was the one that bumped it. Missed Nukulars post entirely. HERE I THOUGHT I WAS BEING HELPFUL.

FFFFF