1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witch Hunts - why did they happen as they did in Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starfox5, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

Witch Hunts in history led to the killings of tens of thousands of innocent people. People acted out of the irratinal belief in Satan and witches, and tortured and executed outsiders or simply people others with more influence disliked, for imagined crimes such as curses or natural disasters or plagues.

In Harry Potter, there are actual witches and wizards. Curses are real. And a sizeable portion of the magicals considers non-magicals as mere animals or vermin. They are routninely obliviated, and magically assaulting them is called "muggle baiting", indicating it's not on the same level as assaulting a magical. There's no indication that this was different in the past (See Salazar Slytherin's views).

It is quite likely that witch hunts missed the real culprits, but had real, logical reasons to start - witches and wizards who did a lot of the things that the innocent mundanes were burned for.

Why would the magicals let those hunts go on and kill innocents, back before there was a statute of secrecy, if they could have prosecuted the real culprits, or at least prove that the mundanes were innocent?

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When you say "mundanes", I think you mean "Muggles".

3. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

Muggles, non-magicals, normal people, mundanes.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Or you know, just muggles. It is not a bad word, it is a term referring to non-magical people.

5. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Damn it Sree, that's offensive to the mund-

[User was banned for this post.]

6. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Not those fanon or 'borrowed' terms. Please. Also, Witch-Hunts did 't kil tens of thousands, I don't it killed ten thousand. Also, I really dislike this line of argument, 'why did wizards let the Holocaust/Coloanialism/Crusades/Republicans happen?"

That goes beyond fan-wanking, it's just not feasible argue about that outside of a story that deals with it.

7. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

It's not about the crusades, colonialism or the holocaust, it's about the witch hunts - an event mentioned in canon a few times. Witch burnings in the 14th century were mentioned by Binns.

I am wondering if, contrary to real with hunting, which accoridng to the wiki resulted in 40-60'000 deaths, the Harry Potter universe's witch hunts were not irrational but based on real crimes of magicals against normal people.

And I am wondering why - and that is canon HP - the magicals let witch-hunters burn innocents.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Invictus: while witch hunts weren't a massive genocide, they did rack up a good number of victims. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_hunts#Execution_statistics

35,000 executions total. But that's over all of Europe, spread across 300 years. So relative to population and spread over that time, it's not many at all.

9. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Just like rl, its not happening to me or my people, why the fuck should I care?

Stupid muggles burning other muggles. Lol.

10. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

And yet witch-hunting is mentioned as one of the reasons the statute of wizarding secrecy was signed.

11. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I don't think they did that to save Muggle lives. More like to save themselves from the hassle of being hated and reviled by 99.9% of the world's population.

12. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I wonder why Hogwarts was established :|

13. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

So it did affect them. I wonder why they didn't stp them - or if they could.

And I wonder if the witch-hunts in Harry Potter were not so effective, but quite logical attempts by the population to defend themselves against magical atrocities. I also wonder why the wizards managed to make everyone forget about them, but couldn't manage to make everyone forget about hating them - unless of course they couldn't control those wizards among them who reveled in attacking and torturing normal people.

14. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It's clearly said that any halfway competent witch or wizard with a wand would have nothing to fear from a witch burning. This includes two obvious qualifiers: "halfway competent" and "with a wand".

Children and unskilled wizards would still be in danger, as would anyone who for whatever reason was separated from his wand. The fact that there are witches like Wendeline the Weird who attended burnings for fun, and that Muggles were notoriously bad at telling witches and wizards from Muggles doesn't change that in all likelyhood, some witches will have been killed, as might children in pogroms when villages banded together to attack that one odd family.

In the end, it's a matter of convenience: The Muggles clearly didn't want the wizards and witches around; despite their superiority, there might have been the chance Muggles got lucky; so the natural thing was to leave them behind and create their own world.

And as for why they could make the Muggles forget them, but not stop hating them: They didn't do either. They just weren't seen anymore. And eventually, the Muggles convinced themselves there never had been such things as wizards, witches, or magic.

Edit: And I think you've been trying since the start of this thread to somehow nudge this towards a way to villainise wizards. This annoys me. Try again please.

15. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

They did stop them - it's called the flame-freezing charm.

16. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Well, in my defense I based from UK, Italy and France, where the Church was strong. Then comes the HRE and just wow. Now I understand better the 30 years war.

17. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

"Nudge"? I asked right away in the first post if the imaginary crimes Innocents were burned for as witches in the real world were actually comitted by witches and wizards in the Harry Potter world. Given how evil pureblood supremacists are shown to act in Harry Potter, I do consider it very likely that this was the case.

"Villainise"? Given the attitude even light wizards have towards non magicals, what is there to villainise that JKR didn't do already? She had even a canon hero like Ron mindcontrol a driving instructor to get what he want in the epilogue, and back in Harry's School time they were still debating whether a "Muggle Protection Act" should be passed.

18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Saying "quite likely" as if this is a real thing is... weird. Though I know you're thinking in terms of canon, so it doesn't matter, just makes it feel like you're treating this seriously, heh.

At any rate. Sure, in canon it's technically possible that some muggles got wind of magical bullshit going on and decided to try and do something about it.

But I think it's just as likely that witch hunts happened in HP canon for the exact same reasons they happened in real life. Because that's the thing -- they did happen in real life. There's no need to invent HP canon reasons for them happening.

If you want to write a fanfic that delves more into this topic, then go for it. Create a world where witch burnings happened b/c of careless/trolling/pranking/murderous magicals. But there's no need to act like this is the "likely" explanation. It's possible, but unless you plan to write a fic involving it (do you?) I don't see the need for the thread. And if you are planning to write a fic you might want to specify that so people can help you brainstorm for it?

To try and answer this anyway... maybe they just didn't care. If they were able to get out of it with a wand and a quick charm (and the issue of their kids/helpless being killed didn't come up), then... yeah, I could see them escaping and not really caring.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Oz
  19. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

This was my way of giving you a way out :|

I do not think pureblood supremacists are inherently evil, that it's perfectly alright to use magic on Muggles, and that the "Muggle Protection Act" was nonsense.

Shall we leave it at that, or do we continue?

20. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

In canon Harry Potter, normal people knew about magic until the statute of secrecy. Since Magic is real, witches are real, curses are real, and magic was known for thousands of years, I do not think witch-hunts happened for the same imagined reasons they happened in real life.

I am planning a story that will deal with the relations between mundane and magical britain, and I'd like to know more views about the witch-hunts. I would like a better explanation for the statute of secrecy than "We got annoyed with the muggles, and rather than ruling them as we easily could with our Magic, we chose to hide away because we are all good men and women and would never think of subjugating those animals."

Were the witch-hunts repsonsible for the statute? As just about the only law that's enforced world-wide and with fanatical vigor and a lot of manpower, it's interesting to consider.

Just about any urban fantasy story writer has to decide whether or not the supernatural world is hidden from the mundanes, or if Magic is known, and then decide what the consequences of either decision are, and how history of the real world would have been affected either way. Otherwise one runs the danger of making the whole story implausible, or fill it with plot holes.

---------- Post automerged at 09:00 ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 ----------

That is entirely up to you, but if you want to debate whether or not using compulsion charms to rape mundanes and then obliviate them afterwards is evil (given what we know of pureblood supremacists and their atrocities, and basic human nature and history, it's very very unlikely that dark wizards did not commit such acts regularily), that would best be discussed in a new thread. This thread is about witch-hunts in Harry Potter, the differences of Magic being real and known to the populace would cause to them, and their effcts on the magcal and mundane world.

---------- Post automerged at 09:03 ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 ----------

That is of course a logical way to escape getting burned. But I am thinking in broader Terms. If witch-hunts were triggered by crimes committed by dark wizards, would it have been possible to stop them by stopping dark wizards? Create a clear distinction between dark wizards and light wizards, and show there's no need to hunt all wizards?