1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witcher TV Show [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Sey, May 17, 2017.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Something I forgot to put in the previous post.

Much is made of the "monolith", whatever the fuck it is, that Ciri destroyed early in S1. But when S2 got to that episode, I had no fucking idea what they were all talking about. When the show cut to a short flashback, I thought: "oh yeah... I guess that happened" but imo it just goes to show how utterly unmemorable the show has been so far, or at least S1. This was obviously an important element, but it didn't stick in my memory even a little bit.

Also I don't know what camera or post-production filter is to blame for this, but the show looks so goddamn washed out. Not helping itself become memorable. Every frame is either grey-ish, browin-ish or blue-ish for night time scenes. I think this is supposed to be "premium streaming series look" and I don't fucking understand it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  2. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I had forgotten that the actual plot of series is all the boring bits from Witcher 3.

I don't know why I was hoping that this season would be Geralt and Ciri just traveling around and killing monsters, while not even mentioning Jen. But that's what I wished for and am now disappointed.

I also hate the Witcher elves. I know they are analogous to oppressed peoples and especially the Roma, but they sucked in Witcher 3 and I justkkinda wanted someone to slaughter all of them...

This show just isn't made for me.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Of all the fantasy/sci-fi genre shows airing in and around December, this, Hawkeye, and Expanse are literally the only ones I'm fully enjoying.

I do feel like Cavil hasn't gotten to exercise Geralt's dark wit much this season though. He's mainly just being dad!Geralt from Witcher3, and I find it a bit meh.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    LMAO. You should def watch Joseph Anderson's videos on the Witcher series (if you have a bajillion hours to spare). I love his bit on the Elves. But yeah, they're garbage.

Listen guys. I have one super important question about this:

Does Yen get her tits out again?

5. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

Sadly no. She does wear an extremely delicious dress at one point, which is the best we're going to get.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just finished the second season.

I think the best way to describe it, is that the first season ranged from a 5/10 to 10/10, with some really great moments that stuck out, and a few meh moments. Season 2 was a solid 7.5/10 the whole way through, but it didn't reach the highs or the lows. I preferred the first season.

That being said, season 2 wasn't bad. I liked Yennefer a lot more throughout this season. Every main character - Fringilla, Ciri, Geralt, Cahir - had satisfying arcs. I really missed Jaskier though, he really brought something to the first season, and he was little more than an afterthought in this one.

Most of all, I was really disappointed by the soundtrack. It's a new person, and it does not stack up to the absolutely excellent soundtrack from the first season at all. I still listen to the first seasons soundtrack now and then.

Overall, I'd say this felt a lot more workshopped than season 1. It was tightly paced, good characters, told a story with a satisfying conclusion. But in work shopping out all the bad, they took out any potential moments of brilliance as well.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I do think the best moment of the show was the meta joke Jaskier told about story telling and timelines

8. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm just here for the Geralt and Ciri and Jaskier adventures. The first monster-of-the-week episode was fantastic: a rich, self-contained story that showcased moral depth and a range of human emotion. Vizimir and Dijkstra were fun for all of the 20 minutes they were on screen. Cahir kinda grew on me, Fringilla annoyed me the more she existed. Well written antagonist I guess.

The politicking, treachery and power brokerage don't appeal to me so I spent a fair bit of time hitting the fast forward button. The two big reveals at the end didn't have much impact on me because the games have spoiled me, but I'm looking forward to the Duny vs Geralt #1 Dad competition. The cheering to save Ciri was some cheesy anime shit that made me roll my eyes pretty hard.

I think I'd sooner do all the sidequests in Skellige than rewatch s2. Not a knock on the writing quality, I just want more entertainment and fun than drama and intrigue.

9. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Does that include all the underwater treasure spots? Because egads, man.

10. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
  11. Innomine

High Score:
    …wow. Ok then.

Very bland statement from Cavill. This does not bode well.

12. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There have been rumours of Cavill leaving the role since before season one aired, but it still feels odd to see it actually happen.

13. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Either Cavill's got some existing obligations that he legally can't get out of, and the production is too locked down for the schedule to change, or there's some real juicy behind the scenes drama. Only way I can see Cavill walking away form this role.

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why the hell would they cast someone who is so much younger than Cavill? Liam doesn't even look like he's in his 30s.

I could understand getting an older actor and doing a small timeskip but this is a real headscratcher.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, wow. And yet, the same thing happened with Cavill in his Superman role. I suspect for the same reasons as Superman - Cavill overplayed his hand, insisted on too much money, and the studio passed the tipping point where they are willing to accept the disruption of changing actor for the sake of saving lots of money.

16. Innomine

High Score:
    It's especially noteworthy because Cavill went so far out of his way to actually get the role. He's read the books, played the game, loved them, and by all accounts put a shit ton of work into doing what he did.

This seems to me to be more about creative differences.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Was really anything like that with Cavill and Superman? As far as I'm aware WB simply had no clue what to do with Superman since unlike Batman they weren't certain a reboot would help. For some time they wanted to do African American Superman, but in the end decided to do one more film with Cavill. Not sure if it will happen though considering that Black Adam is underperforming compared to its budget.

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This does not spark joy.

19. Jax

Jax Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

20. Lucius

Lucius Banned

Yeah i'm not watching the show anymore. Already felt the 2nd season wasn't as good as the first. Btw are the books good to read? I'm wary of translated books.