1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witcher TV Show [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Sey, May 17, 2017.

1. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Supposedly the rumor is that Cavill is leaving because he wants more dialogue, to better represent book version of Geralt. And the showrunners are apparently against it.

No idea how true it is, but I could see Cavill taking this stance.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This makes far more sense to me than money.

3. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Yeah, considering how hard he fought to get the role. I can see him pushing to get them to make the character more representative of the book version.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    NGL I love Cavill but I always thought he was terribly cast as Geralt. I'm curious to see what someone else can bring to the role.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I choose to believe that he quit because they stopped showing Yennifer's tits and he felt strongly that this was not in keeping with the vision of the source material.

I can respect that.

6. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I'd recommend the two collections of short stories at the beginning of the series, 'The Sword of Destiny' followed by 'The Last Wish' at the least. There are definitely some oddities due to the translation but I didn't find it to be an issue (some of Sapkowski's prose is incredibly beautiful), the audiobooks are great too. The rest of the story didn't captivate me quite as much as the short stories but it's still good, especially if you're a fan of the games and want to see the events leading up to them. The first two collections will introduce you to most of the important background details of the main cast though, and I think best capture the essence of what the occupation of being a witcher is like.

As for Henry Cavill leaving, anyone who considers themselves a fan of the books or even games (as Cavill clearly did) would be frustrated by being involved with such a poor adaptation. If they're paying you well enough you'll go along regardless (e.g. Sapkowski), but if instead you can go be Superman, the choice seems pretty obvious. I don't think it's a coincidence either that this was announced so soon after a former writer for the show made it public record that writers had been heard by him disparaging the source material, as something like that is sure to give Cavill PR cover with fans of the show for leaving.

I stopped watching after the second episode of season two, but to be honest I may start again after next season because Liam Hemsworth and his Aussie accent as Geralt sounds fucking hilarious.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Poor Henry Cavill. DC just dumped him as Superman.

8. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Say what you want about the films, but I fucking loved him as Superman. Damn shame.

Oh well, this frees him up to play Daemon I Blackfyre in about 5 or 6 years

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

He was really good as Superman, but his Clark Kent was bad. Probably not because of him though because his Stardust role proves he can transform if he wants to.

If they were doing it now, but in 5 years he will be just too old for Blackfyre. But rumors have him as Cregan Stark and while they're probably just fancastings, now it's actually possible since he's not doing new Superman.

10. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I honestly just picked an arbitrary few years since I don't know if they would dare start filming House of the Dragon: Blackfyre before Fire and Blood II comes out

11. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

The rumors have him as basically all of the uncasted characters in House of the Dragon.

12. yargle

yargle Professor

That would actually make me watch it.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow. I enjoy Netflix Witcher, but Blood Origin was truly awful. How did it even get greenlit?

Dialogue was just abysmal. CGI, costuming, and sets were equatable to a SyFy channel original movie.

And they just absolutely demolished the Aen Elle Aen Sidhe backstory for no other reason than to make Eredin more interesting with a romantic angle (and then that specific plot point went nowhere and was completely wasted).

No wonder Cavill left the main show if this was the level of quality they're aiming for.

Goddamn.